Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: I call BS on vaseline soaked cotton balls

I agree totally with rokcrawler, I use em all without any additives, and I buy my cottonballs in bags at the dollar store. I'll stick with cottonballs, lint, twine, and twine in rope size. I carry a lighter along also, but have yet to need it. Harbor freight carries magnesium firestarters for $2.99 and last weekend at a sale I got a bunch for $2.00 each. So I have a few different types of kindling in my kits.

I tried it for the first time this week, and it lit immediately and burned for 4-5 min.

RCKCRWLER, make sure they are 100% cotton, and that the vaseline is unscented and that it is 100% petroleum jelly. When I was looking for petroleum jelly, I found that most brands that were not "Vaseline" brand were not 100% petroleum jelly. Make sure your fuel sources are the right ones and it works like a charm!

Concur. Bottom line, get 100% cotton, make sure its 100% petroleum jelly ( I only use vaseline). This is how I would do them. Get a ziplock plastic bag, put two big spoonsful of petroleum jelly into the bag...throw in about 14 pcs of cotton balls...and rub the vaseline into the cotton...done! Storage..get the film rolls container..stuff all inside. These containers are waterproof.
    This is my favorite method and fire starter...have never failed me.

How does it work? The cotton balls catches fire. The 100% petroleum jelly helps to keep the fire on and also keeps the fire burning longer. Cotton balls alone usually last about 1 and a half minute....with the petroleum jelly, it burns from 3 minutes to 5 1/2 minutes...depending on the size of the balls....I mean cotton balls.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Tokwan View Post
    Get a ziplock plastic bag, put two big spoonsful of petroleum jelly into the bag...throw in about 14 pcs of cotton balls...and rub the vaseline into the cotton...done!
    Same method as I, but I did them one at a time to ensure full vas coverage. I found an old plastic cup with a snap on lid (16oz) to store them in since I made enough for an 8 day solo trip. FYI, you dont really need to store them in a waterproof container if you cover them evenly with vas. I threw a couple in water and they still lit immediately.

I have had good luck with shredded up TP and Carmex lip balm, as well as the cotton balls....got a big bag at the Dollar Store, will last a long time.
    They do make several lip balms in a small glass jar........so you can make the balls up on the fly....don't have to carry, or store the slick, gooey, mess pre-treated balls can make.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    They do make several lip balms in a small glass jar........so you can make the balls up on the fly....don't have to carry, or store the slick, gooey, mess pre-treated balls can make.
    What a great, lightweight idea.... man... why didnt you post that last week? got my fingers and jeans all greasy making mine in advance. lol
    Glad to be getting Backtothebush...

Ruger American 30-06
    Remington 870 Wingmaster 12G
    Savage Arms 3A .22 LR
    Baikal .410
    Reflex Excursion by Hoyt

Some times you just have to TRY IT......telling people doesn't work.

Vaseline soaked cotton balls have become "Interweb" absolute must have truth"
    I don't like dryer lint either, ours smells like burning dog hair....

Invented in 1872.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaseline ..... It is also a fact there was no way to start fires before that.

I can't believe any one has a problem lighting any cotton ball, with any kind of accelerant on it......with all the new and improved ferro rods fire steels...?
    Last edited by hunter63; 06-19-2014 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I don't like dryer lint either, ours smells like burning dog hair....
    hahaha same here
    Glad to be getting Backtothebush...

Ruger American 30-06
    Remington 870 Wingmaster 12G
    Savage Arms 3A .22 LR
    Baikal .410
    Reflex Excursion by Hoyt

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    I always melt the Vaseline over low heat and then soak the cotton balls in it to get it well saturated and
    I melt the Vaseline to liquid form in microwave. Then drop in my balls . This saturates them through and through for max burn time. The key to lighting is to dig in with both thumbs to the center and pull apart until the cotton splits like the nougat in a split snickers bar. Then leave the fluffies in the air and set it down like this (skip to 5:20) http://youtu.be/OgTano_saGo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This subject comes up every now and then and I don't know why folks have so much trouble with them as I have never had them fail me. But then I don't just rub the vaseline on the cotton balls, I melt it down in a tin can and then dip the cotton balls in it to make sure they are completely saturated in the vaseline. Then to light them, I just fluff them up by stretching and pulling a piece of it apart to allow for air circulation and then hit them with a spark. Usually they light on the very first try and burn anywhere from 5 to 8 minutes by themselves. Also, make sure the cotton balls you are using are actually pure cotton. I have seen some synthetic cotton balls that will not take a spark even when dry.
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

You guys go to a lot more trouble than I do. I just stick the cotton ball in the jar, roll it once or twice and put it in a film canister. The snap on lid keeps the jelly inside and I can carry 6 in one canister. They work just fine. An added bonus is the jelly is great for chapped lips or hot spots.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You guys go to a lot more trouble than I do. I just stick the cotton ball in the jar, roll it once or twice and put it in a film canister. The snap on lid keeps the jelly inside and I can carry 6 in one canister. They work just fine. An added bonus is the jelly is great for chapped lips or hot spots.
    +1 on this method. Must be a F.A.R.T. thing.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I switched over to dry cotton balls and the squeeze tube of Vaseline, I have also used hand sanitizer on them too
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

I remember when this thread was started! I cant believe its still going! HA HA!

Cotton balls, PERIOD, are great fire starters... REAL 100% cotton balls, and they can be had anywhere!

The three options in my order of preference are:

1) Regular cotton ball, it catches a flame and burns just long enough to get tinder going. Works great, no prep time, but does not burn very long.
    2) PJ cotton balls, easy to make but greasy to use... must pinch open to expose inside cotton to strike, burns long enough to get semi-wet tinder started
    3) Wax covered cotton balls (working on a video for this...) wax dipped cotton balls... They are water proof once made, need a knife
    to open up to expose the inside cotton, have to fluff it out, takes a spark like the devil and burns for the longest time. Can be carried in
    the pocket or zip lok bag.. since its already water proof, no special container. Down side is, it may run a bit if it gets hot enough, so I still
    advise carrying in some type of container. They are also more expensive to make and take a respectable amount of work... but are the #1
    fire starter IMHO.

PJCB is the easy winner, being easy and inexpensive to make but all three are really great ways to get a fire stared.

If all else fails, its wet and cold, and its life or death... ROAD FLARE. Can be had at WalMart or any number of stores.
    If this doesnt get a fire going, your really really screwed!!

EB

How long and how easy do the wax cotton balls catch a spark and burn
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

I don't mess with any of that fooferall, I use birch bark. Fine birch bark will ignite quickly with a ferro rod.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    How long and how easy do the wax cotton balls catch a spark and burn
    Around 7 minutes..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPbk9AmkQL4
    Last edited by ElevenBravo; 06-19-2014 at 09:45 PM.

I only use 100% cotton wool and 'Vaseline' brand. I push the vaseline into the centre of the cotton ball, I don't want to be seeing any on the outside of the ball. In my firestarter kit I carry a small tin of vaseline and cotton wool (stored in a small ziplock bag) and make them as I need them. The kit also has several King Alfred's cakes (cramp balls), two mini bic lighters, fire steel and a few strips of rubber for wet weather fire lighting.

I do like hunter does. I keep them separate until I need to use them. I keep the vaseline in a little container that used to have carmex in it. It is probably the same size/shape as what hunter described, just made out of metal instead of glass. I used the carmex as a fire starter until it ran out. Now I just refill with PJ. I use an off brand, and have had no problem. When I want to use it, I take the dry cotton ball, and then scoop up some PJ with it. I almost never get any PJ on my fingers. I can decide how long I want it to burn by how much PJ I scoop up. Then, I fluff the other side of the CB a little, and it almost always takes a spark on the first hit. I like them separate because I can use them separately. Both are first aid items. The PJ keeps the backside slick, and I can use the CB like a small gauze.

I used to use lint.....but then realized that you can't 100% control the cotton content. I realized this from trial....and mostly error. Now I just use 100% cotton balls. They are pretty dang cheap. And, my dryer lint has dog hair in it....so there is that as well.

I have never been able to get toilet paper lit with a fero rod...for what that is worth.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee