Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: I call BS on vaseline soaked cotton balls

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    I have never been able to get toilet paper lit with a fero rod...for what that is worth.
    Have you tried it before...........never mind.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by FinallyMe
    The PJ keeps the backside slick

You want slick? I'll show you slick. Uuuugggghhhh.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Default PJCBs Longevity

This thread got me wondering about the longevity of PJCBs so I tried two of mine that were made two years ago. They are a part of a fire kit I made up in '12. They lit right up like they were made yesterday... one scrape from my ferro rod is all it took. It's good to know they stay good indefinitely if prepared and stored correctly.

Dom
    Last edited by DomC; 06-26-2014 at 02:20 AM.
    "There are only 2 classes of ships in the Navy...Submarines and Targets!" RM2(SS)
    "A knifeless man is a lifeless man"...Nordic proverb.
    "No man's knowledge can go beyond his experience." John Locke.
    "Survival is about getting out of the wilderness ALIVE, Bushcraft is about getting into the wilderness and THRIVING."

Living in a pretty damp climate cotton balls and petroleum jelly are all I use. I wanted to make a big batch since both Vaseline and cotton balls were on sale at my local store. I purchased the ingredients and a package of those disposable aluminum loaf pans. Took my loot home and fired up the coleman stove outside. Scooped vaseline into the loaf pan until it was about half full. placed the pan on the stove and heated the jelly till it was liquid. Then began packing in the cotton balls, I crammed as many as I could get into the pan, then dumped them into a zip-loc. in about 20 minutes I was able to make a full gallon bag of ready to go cotton tinder (cotton batton if you've ever watched the old WSI survival movies). It'll probably last me years.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

Holy cotton balls, Batman....that there is a lot of balls.
    How much surviving do you do anyway?.......You don't use them every time you light a fire do you?

Once I have a few in each pack, I quit making and storing them....Until I need more.
    I buy a big bag of cotton balls for DW and swipe a few, and have a jar of veinerslider in my gear/tool room, store brand I think.....and that will last me a long time.

Each to his own I guess.....y'all are balls rich.........LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I always leave alittle of the cotton ball without any coating to catch quicker, fluff before lighting, use them all the time.
    Semper Paratus

I don't know if it has been said in this long thread but plain ole cotton balls light up good without vaseline.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Randy, you are absolutely right and I find just a plain old cotton ball is usually just enough to fix a jam!

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    I don't know if it has been said in this long thread but plain ole cotton balls light up good without vaseline.
    Yeah, the cotton is what catches the spark or flame and the Vaseline is a fuel to make it burn longer. Helps when your tinder and kindling are damp.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Holy cotton balls, Batman....that there is a lot of balls.
    How much surviving do you do anyway?.......You don't use them every time you light a fire do you?
    I use them for most outdoor fires I light, and sometimes when I'm lazy I'll use them to get a fire going in the woodstove. I also "cached" a lot of them out in the woods behind my house (its all Federal Land). I can be miles from home and be nearby one of my stashes. I go out with the wife and kids to the beach a lot as well, and driftwood usually isnt easy to get going, so the cotton tinder is used here as well. I've found they are an easy, cheap, effective firestarter for use in a temperate rain forest.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabushman View Post
    I use them for most outdoor fires I light, and sometimes when I'm lazy I'll use them to get a fire going in the woodstove. I also "cached" a lot of them out in the woods behind my house (its all Federal Land). I can be miles from home and be nearby one of my stashes. I go out with the wife and kids to the beach a lot as well, and driftwood usually isnt easy to get going, so the cotton tinder is used here as well. I've found they are an easy, cheap, effective firestarter for use in a temperate rain forest.
    I hear ya....just giving ya a bad time...stashing them is a good idea.

Have used them, but mostly depend on found tinder bundles and char cloth.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I hear ya....just giving ya a bad time...stashing them is a good idea.

Have used them, but mostly depend on found tinder bundles and char cloth.
    Or road flares.......just sayin.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yeah, well there is THAT......

I always said, when you absolutely, positively MUST have a fire... Road Flare!
    EB

It's probably because the Vaseline is dense and doesn't allow oxygen to flow through it. If a small spark hits it then its possible it could extinguish it before it gets hot enough to ignite. That's why you need to fluff it up and not use too much. The same is true for a fire lay. You don't want a bunch of thick sticks placed right next to each other. You want some small light sticks with plenty of space in between. Fire needs room to flourish.
    Last edited by ninjasurvivor; 07-15-2014 at 10:38 AM.
    ~~Combat is the least important skill a ninja can posses.~~

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Works for me. I'll always go for my Bic first.
    Lol. Wait till your bic runs out of fluid or gets wet. Heehee...