Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I call BS on vaseline soaked cotton balls

Default I call BS on vaseline soaked cotton balls

At least the way I did it! I wanted to try it out this weekend so I rubbed some vaseline all over and in the cotton balls and I couldn't get it to catch a spark to save my life. I took a dry cotton ball and the first time a spark hit it it went up. Did the same thing with dryer lint and had the same results. I was using one of those little orange Spark Lite sparkers.

I even tried one cotton ball with a tiny bit of vaseline on it and it finally took a spark after about ten sparkings.

So whats the secret to getting the right amount of vaseline on the cotton ball/dryer lint?

it works very well
    after smearing the vaseoline on the cotton ball you need to work it into the ball well then fluff the ball so you have tiny little strands to catch the spark
    keep at it my friend it does work
    also it may take more than just one spark to catch it
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

I've never used a flint and steel on them. I've always just lit them. I put the cotton ball down in the Vaseline and load it up.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Hmmm. I never had any problem. I use a ferrocerium (often referred to as "flint" which it ain't) rod and striker. Usually two or three strikes and it lights up.

Works with an old fashioned mountian man type firesteel and chunk of real flint too. Anything that makes sparks should work.

You must have some fuzzy stuff that will catch and light, which will then get to the gooey part to burn. So my jelly balls aren't terribly gooey, which means they won't burn for four minutes; more like 1 minute.

If you use lint, make sure its from a load of cottons and not sythetics. Else it will melt better than it burns.

I have always got the cotton balls to light with my blast match, much quicker with my lighter tho. I like dryer lint in Vaseline better personally I can get it light quicker with a spark just my 2 cents worth.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Blog Entries

Works for me. I'll always go for my Bic first.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

I've never had a problem lighting them. I typically use anything that produces a spark (fire steel, natural flint and steel, Bic lighter with no fluid) to start them. When making them don't overload them with the Vaseline. Work it into the cotton real well. When you go to light it, separate it a little so (as Wareagle said) you can catch a few fibers. Also, make sure you are using natural cotton not the synthetic stuff.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Crash
    make sure you are using natural cotton not the synthetic stuff.
    Excellent point. Only the natural will work.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I agree with wareagle and crash (gotta be real cotton, not that imitation crap). I usually use my firesteel and catch it on one strike. The petroleum jelly helps keep the flame going much longer than just the cotton ball itself.
    ‎"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."

10-4 on the natural cotton, I'll go home and double check.

Try this. Take an almond sized glob of Vaseline and work it into a large cotton ball until it is totally saturated. Wrap the cotton ball in a doubled over paper towel and squeeze real hard until the excess Vaseline soaks into the towel. The cotton should be greasy but still easy to fluff up. Mine light 1st try every time like this with a ferro rod. Mac
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

I went and looked at my bag of cotton balls and I see I dont have 100 percent cotton Im guessing thats why it takes triple the effort to light than the lint. Thanks for that tip fellas.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

It's easy to do. The boxes just say cotton balls. You have to look close to see some are 100% cotton and some are not.

OK, I will put PJ on anything Rick has and light a fire,.just saying

Quote Originally Posted by Pict View Post
    Try this. Take an almond sized glob of Vaseline and work it into a large cotton ball until it is totally saturated. Wrap the cotton ball in a doubled over paper towel and squeeze real hard until the excess Vaseline soaks into the towel. The cotton should be greasy but still easy to fluff up. Mine light 1st try every time like this with a ferro rod. Mac

Sounds like a plan to me! Thanks Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    It's easy to do. The boxes just say cotton balls. You have to look close to see some are 100% cotton and some are not.
    Your balls come in a box? Is this in the first aid section of the store or the cosmetics section? I've never even seen 100% cotton balls.

EDIT: I have this automotive polish that looks and feels like cotton. I wonder if that would work. It's supposed to have some sort of abrasive on it and comes in a silver tin can, round.
    Last edited by bulrush; 06-02-2009 at 01:05 PM.

Leave a bit of unsaturated cotton to catch the sparkl.
    J
    Walk softly upon the earth!

Quote Originally Posted by bulrush View Post
    Your balls come in a box?
    I'm not going to comment. I'm not going to comment. I'm not going to comment...
    ‎"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."

As a matter of fact, yes. I know I picked those up at Kroger but it might have been in the baby section. If you have a Kroger nearby, they come in a blue box. Kroger brand. Inside they are packed in a paper sack sort of like a doughnut sack. The outside of the blue box says:

Sterile
    Cotton Balls
    100% Pure Cotton

I'm a boxer kind of guy, I guess.

That's the way it was always packed several years ago. I remember the dark blue boxes with the Johnson & Johnson label on it. As time has gone on, and costs of packaging dictate what many manufactures use for their products - well, let's just say that many of them have shifted to briefs.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel