Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My recent letter to several government agencies

Default My recent letter to several government agencies

While this isn't specifically about "wilderness" survival, I think it's appropriate enough to share with this forum. If not, the mods can feel free to move/delete this post.

Back around the end of April I mailed off a letter to several government agencies as well as my representatives in Congress. Normally, I don't do this sort of thing, but I felt it was an important issue. In any event, the letter that I sent dealt with a possible security concern that I have regarding terrorist activity and commercial airplanes.

You can laugh all you want, but I sent the letter to the following (partly to see who I would actually get a response from):

President Barack Obama
    Secretary Janet Napolitano (Department of Homeland Security)
    Federal Bureau of Investigation
    National Security Agency
    Transportation Security Administration
    Center for Strategic & International Studies
    Silvestre Reyes, Chairman of the US House of Rep Select Committee on Intelligence
    Dianne Feinstein, Chairman of the US Senate Select Committee on Intelligence
    Dennis Blair, Director of National Intelligence
    Senator Ted Kennedy (Massachusetts representative)
    Senator John Kerry (Massachusetts representative)
    Congressman Stephen F. Lynch (Massachusetts representative)

As an FYI, the NSA and TSA do not list any postal address on their websites. I had to send the letter by email.

With that said, I have attached a copy of the letter here. The same day that I mailed the letters (and emailed it to the NSA ans TSA) I received an auto-reply form email from the TSA. That was the only response I received until just the other day.

In the mail a few days ago, I received a letter from the TSA office. I've attached a copy of the letter (minus my personal info) to this post. This was actually not a from letter but rather a nice response. It appears that my letter got Secretary Napolitano's attention and her office forwarded the letter to the TSA for their response. Of course, I never got a written response to this same letter which was emailed to the TSA office. Apparently Secretary Napolitano and Homeland Security have a bit more pull than me.

In any event, according to the letter, the TSA has circulated the information to in an effort to train and spread the awareness of this concern. That was exactly the goal of the letter, so as far as I'm concerned, I succeeded.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default I can not read the images of your letter.

Can you give us an overview of what you wrote? I can not make out the print on the letters.
    Thanks, Sam

I think if you click on the thumbnails and then click (or doubleclick) the pictures they expand bigger which may be easier to read. I had to scale the pics down to fit the paramaters for uploads.

The test of the letter I wrote was:

My name is XXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXX and I am the Administrator of an internet forum that focuses on emergency and disaster preparation. I am writing to you today because recently, I have thought of a safety concern that you may not be aware of.

We all know that after the 9/11 terrorist attacks and the Richard Reid “shoe bomber” incident, certain restrictions were placed on what passengers are allowed to carry onboard on a commercial airplane. In particular, individuals are no longer able to carry matches or lighters on board.

The concern that I have relates to alternative fire starting mechanisms which are readily available for purchase in-store or online at various mainstream retailers such as Wal-Mart, Cabelas, REI, Amazon.com, etc. These types of fire starters are manufactured with the intention that these items be used for camping or emergency survival situations. Typically an individual will keep one of these in their survival kit or backpack. Below are pictures of two of the more well known types of commercially available fire starters (Light My Fire Firesteel on the left and the Blastmatch on the right):

[pictures were inserted here]

These fire starters, which can be purchased for as little as $8.00, comprise of a magnesium rod and a scraper. Starting a fire with these items can literally take only seconds. When run along the magnesium rod, the scraper creates a stream of sparks that can reach several thousand degrees Fahrenheit. This of course could ignite any number of nearby materials which may be used as tinder.

Additionally, a potential terrorist could easily, and legally, carry onboard all sorts of material that would be ideal as a tinder including cotton balls rubbed with petroleum jelly, dryer lint, or commercially produced cotton tinder tabs. Of course none of these types of tinder would show up during an x-ray screening of the passenger’s carry-on luggage.

This method of fire starting could be easily brought onto a plane by a terrorist because the necessary items are likely to easily pass through the security screening without raising alert for the following reasons:

• A magnesium rod (which can be as small as ¼” in thickness and 1-½” long) is not likely to be picked up or identified as dangerous when passed through an x-ray machine.

• The scraper which comes with the Light My Fire firesteel is metal, but can be discarded as a simple house key can be used to the same effect. No one would question a set of keys in a person’s carry on bag. The Blastmatch’s scraper is a tiny piece built into the plastic handle.

• Any sources of potential tinder, as identified above, would also pass screening without much scrutiny.

My purpose in sending this letter is to raise awareness that these types of fire starters do exist and that they could be used by potential terrorists to attack while on a commercial aircraft. It is my sincerest hope that your office examines this issue and takes the necessary steps to help implement a proper (and mandatory) training program to all TSA personnel so that identification of these items can be readily made. Such training may one day save the lives of many Americans. Thank you for taking the time to read this letter.

A concerned American,

Blog Entries

Chaz, I've carried a lighter on planes several times in recent years. I placed them in the tray, passed through TSA screening, and entered the departure area.

New York Times
    Published: July 20, 2007

U.S. Will Allow Most Types of Lighters on Planes

WASHINGTON, July 19 — "Federal aviation authorities have decided to stop enforcing a two-year-old rule against taking cigarette lighters on airplanes, concluding that it was a waste of time to search for them before passengers boarded.

The ban was imposed at the insistence of Congress after a passenger, Richard Reid, tried to ignite a bomb in his shoe in 2001 on a flight from Paris to Miami.

Lawmakers said that if Mr. Reid had used a lighter, instead of matches, he might have been able to ignite the bomb, but Kip Hawley, assistant secretary for the Transportation Security Administration, said in an interview on Thursday that the ban had done little to improve aviation security because small batteries could be used to set off a bomb.

Matches have never been prohibited on flights.

“Taking lighters away is security theater,” Mr. Hawley said. “It trivializes the security process.”

The policy change, which is to go into effect on Aug. 4, applies to disposable butane lighters, like Bics, and refillable lighters, like Zippos. Torch lighters, which have thin, hotter flames, will continue to be banned.

Security officers have been collecting some 22,000 lighters a day nationwide, slowing down lines at check points. Even so, many smokers had found ways to sneak lighters through checkpoints, often by placing more than one in a carry-on bag. Disposing of the seized lighters has cost about $4 million a year.

By lifting the ban, Mr. Hawley said, security officers could spend more time looking for bombs or bomb parts. “The No. 1 threat for us is someone trying to bring bomb components through the security check point,” he said. “We don’t want anything that distracts concentration from searching for that.”

A provision in the 2007 Homeland Security Department spending bill allowed the security agency to stop enforcing the ban if it determined that “lighters are not a significant threat to civil aviation security.”

Senator Ron Wyden, Democrat of Oregon, who in 2004 helped lead the effort to ban lighters, has not objected to the change, a spokeswoman said.

A ban on liquids in containers greater than three ounces, which was imposed last summer after the disruption of a plot based in London to blow up planes headed to the United States, will remain in effect, but the security agency will modify its rules related to breast milk. Passengers will be allowed to carry breast milk in quantities greater than three ounces as long as it is declared for inspection at the security checkpoint. Currently, breast milk is allowed only if a passenger is traveling with an infant.

In late 2005, security officials lifted a ban on small scissors, screwdrivers and other small tools, making a similar argument that searching for them was a waste of time.

In the coming months, the agency will install new equipment intended to improve its ability to intercept explosives. The new equipment will include advanced X-ray machines that rapidly examine carry-on bags from many angles, making it easier to identify bomb components, and hand-held devices that can determine whether a liquid might be explosive.

Fifteen liquid scanners are already in use, and two dozen of the advanced X-ray machines will have been tested at checkpoints by this fall.

Correction: July 21, 2007 - An article yesterday about a decision to allow passengers to carry cigarette lighters on board airplanes misspelled the surname of the man who tried to ignite a bomb in his shoe during a flight from Paris to Miami in 2001. He is Richard C. Reid, not Reed."

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/20/washington/20tsa.html
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

That's interesting because two months ago they were making announcements about lighters at Logan Airport when I was heading out on vacation. That's actually what got me thinking and prompted me to write the letter.

Last time I went to Aruba, they searched everyone's checked luggage (in front of the owner) for lighters and other contraband...They found my cigar lighter, but not my cubans....lol

I should note that they weren't even allowing lighters in the checked luggage when leaving Aruba.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chazlawyer View Post
    ....but not my cubans....lol
    Are you SURE that they're Cubans? I think you should send them to the Quality Control Department for verification.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

When is the next meeting for the Bristol County Chapter of the Wolfpack?

Blog Entries
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Blog Entries

When is the next meeting for the Bristol County Chapter of the Wolfpack?
    Soon as I get done %#*!&^# moving.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Blog Entries

You know, given the current regs, blastmatches will probably be prohibited.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i am *&j to comment on *&%$#@%$# issues.

the fire starter in the thumbnail looks like one that i have!
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

I'm going through the list on the TSA website now and I had to laugh...But I bet Dr. Scholl's is pissed off:

Gel shoe inserts - Gel shoe inserts are not permitted, but shoes constructed with gel heels are allowed and must be removed and screened.

TSA Agent: "Sir, Are you gelling?"

Passenger: "Oh, I'm gelling."

TSA Agent: "Sir, Please step over here."

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    You know, given the current regs, blastmatches will probably be prohibited.
    I think both the firesteels and blastmatches would be banned under the classification of being a "strike anywhere" type of match...

Blog Entries

Last time I went to Aruba....
    I envy you. It's been too many years since I've been there. The "Natural Bridge" hadn't collapsed yet.

I usually stay at Playa Linda. Did you go to Chez Mathilde? Para-sailing? Scuba Diving? (I usually dove with an Aruban native named Hymie - that's his name, no derogatives here.)

Is El Patio still around? Two huge garlic shrimp plates, a plate of spiced beef, and two cokes - total was less than $20.00 and the food was great. That was a BARGAIN, especially at a place where a half gallon of Breyer's Ice Cream cost $12.00!
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by erunkiswldrnssurvival View Post
    i am *&j to comment on *&%$#@%$# issues.
    eh???? confused...

I envy you. It's been too many years since I've been there. The "Natural Bridge" hadn't collapsed yet.
    You mean this natural bridge?

Blog Entries

You mean this natural bridge?
    Yep. That one. I thought it collapsed so that it couldn't be crossed any longer. Is that a recent pic?
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

I usually stay at Playa Linda. Did you go to Chez Mathilde? Para-sailing? Scuba Diving? (I usually dove with an Aruban native named Hymie - that's his name, no derogatives here.)

Is El Patio still around? Two huge garlic shrimp plates, a plate of spiced beef, and two cokes - total was less than $20.00 and the food was great. That was a BARGAIN, especially at a place where a half gallon of Breyer's Ice Cream cost $12.00!
    I've been twice and stayed at the Holiday Inn Sunspree both times. Loved the view and a great part of the beach to stay.

And I gotta tell you though, Aruba is the only place that I have seen a real, live turduckin...

Yep. That one. I thought it collapsed so that it couldn't be crossed any longer. Is that a recent pic?
    That's from my honeymoon in April of 2006. One could probably walk across it, but no vehicles for sure.

You realize you probably just killed my ability to carry my pocket survival kit in my briefcase? I've never once been questioned about it despite the fact it has both a flint and steel as well as char cloth in a tube. No one has even opened the tube to look inside.

paracord garrotes
    ink pen knives
    esbit fuel tab in your pocket

I can go on and on. I've thought about this quite a bit because I fly quite a bit. There are SO many weapons I COULD manufacture but I'll be danged if I know what I'd do with a 767 even if I had one.

"Stand back! I'm taking over this plane!"

"What are you going to do with it?"

"Hmmm. I haven't figured that out yet. But when I do....."
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.