Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Leaf Spring Knife

No sense in just firing one.... I know this is some proprietary " L.S. STARRETT" metal... Check out the handle... I think it is proprietary too.....

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Blog Entries

That is looking GOOD! I googled starrett and just read that it was a high carbon tool steel. Thats sounded good to me. I like the design.
    -Frank

Whether the knife falls on the melon or the melon on the knife, the melon suffers. (African Proverb)

Updating website! Stop by and tell me what you think!

Looks like it'll make a nice companion to your leaf spring knife.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

"Starrett" is the leader in precision measurement equipment. The steel comes from a large pair of inside calipers. The large hole was part of the tool I kept. The handle coating is epoxy powder coating. I am gonna wrap it with paracord when my order arrives.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

I think the steal on this last one may be chrome vanadium anyone ever tried to harden this stuff? I see alot of chefs knifes are made from it. But haven't found much info on it.

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    I think the steal on this last one may be chrome vanadium anyone ever tried to harden this stuff? I see alot of chefs knifes are made from it. But haven't found much info on it.
    The only experience I have with hardening it has been to try and spell it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I did find that 5160 (leafspring) is also chrome vanadium and that chrome vanadium comes in several SAE designations that range from low carbon to high carbon. I am going to go ahead and make the assumption the hardening process is the same. I checked the Rockwell on this new blade and it is soft. I am experimenting because I have alot more of this material. I think for this one I am gonna try a torch to the edge of the blade and a water quench. I'll let you know how it turns out. It is a process that I think may work better for lower carbon numbers. Have you tested the edge on any of your heat treatments?

I chopped a couple of 3" pieces of wood. Seems to hold up OK. That first one I made I have not tested - I don't think I treated that one well enough.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I think I'll add some black epoxy powder coating tonight. I am heating the blade then submersing in the powdered coating before curing in an oven. I can't control the film thickness this way so it is a bit lumpy. If I apply the black the thinking is I can sand flat to create a modeled green and black handle. The neat part is you can keep applying the stuff untill it is as thick as you want it and it is hard as a rock and impervious to most any chemical. It can be bought by the pound on ebay any color you want.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    The only experience I have with hardening it has been to try and spell it.
    I know a lot about "Hardening".............

Quote Originally Posted by hope View Post
    I know a lot about "Hardening".............
    Ever put a Rockwell gauge on it......never mind, don't answer that.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

How long did you leave it in the forge?

WoW CS I am impressed. From Start to finish you have done an awe inspiring job. this would be a good "sticky" on knife making this is a wonderful step-by-step process you've covered here. Are you going to use any coal when you fire it,as I've heard this adds some carbon. Don't know that, just heard it. Maybe Pancho knows the answer. But it's been years and that could've been about Damascus blades, in the folding process.

Blog Entries

I think CS would know a bit more on forging than I. I am just starting on that side, but I think he has done more research. Once I get my forging set up together I will be picking CS's brain.
    -Frank

Whether the knife falls on the melon or the melon on the knife, the melon suffers. (African Proverb)

Updating website! Stop by and tell me what you think!

I have no plan to use coal. It is not readily available in the South. I do not think that coal can add carbon either. There is a proces that does but it is way over my head for now. I will hopefully just be ending with the same carbon content I start out with.

hey cs that is a really nice knife. i know nothing about making knifes but that is really awesome.. i like doing things with my hands. since being on this forum i can see where having a knife and a gun could come in handy. i am learning so much. i enjoy this site alot more than what i thought i would.
    Proof of a higher power, is the power of a horses stride. Line for line, grace and majesty, taking me for a ride.

I am glad you enjoy it. This site has opened alot of doors for me in a short time. I have always had guns and knives but their use has certainly taken on a new meaning. There is a wealth of knowledge when you can put a question out there for 3000+ users. Thanks for the compliments. I wish I had kept it a little more basic in design, sometimes being extremely creative is a bad thing but I learned to control my need to over design something from this project. Basic designs are much more practical.

i thought that the design was a simple one. but i know nothing about designs. maybe you can give me and poco some lessons. when we moved ky mel was going to try his hand at making a knife with deer antlers but then we found out that we were going to have a child. so he didn't get to try his hand at it. i want to learn but am not sure where to start at.
    Proof of a higher power, is the power of a horses stride. Line for line, grace and majesty, taking me for a ride.

Equus, sorry I missed your post.. I just realized I needed to close this one out. So here we go... This is after heat treat trying the scales back on.

Then I realized I had to temper the blade....

Then I polished it and hit with the gun blue, just like restoring the Mora...

Sweet!

Painted some polyurethane on the horn...

Still isn't finished but is proving to be a worthwhile project!
    Last edited by COWBOYSURVIVAL; 09-28-2009 at 11:16 AM.