Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: plant identification help

#2 is definetly Shepherds purse, #3 is a wild lettuce of some sort. #4 is not Purslane. I have it growing here and eat it everyday.Flowers are red, white, orange and yellow. I am pretty positive thats not it from the pic. Others Id have to cross reference from my books to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Is it me or does it seem a bit counter intuitive to smoke anything for lung congestion? Or for any reason for that matter.
    what crash said....

but seriously if your just smoking it a few times to induce a productive cough it makes sense. its habitual smoking of anything that is incredibly counter productive.

#1 most probably mullein
    #2 shepherds purse
    #3 Could be a thistle, could be chicory - too small to tell
    #4 Crown of leaves could be Hawkweed (Hieracium sp)
    #4 Procumbent weed, not sure. The leaves look too leathery/hairy for a spurge. Are the stems woody or weedy? Need to see the flowers better, especially the stamens and the calyx (underside)
    #5 Japanese Knotweed (Polygonum sp)
    #6 Viola rotundifolia
    #7 Not sure. Looks like a fairly common weed we have here related to Geum sp.
    #8 Again maybe Hawkweed
    #9 Is that a shrub? The stems have wings similar to Burning Bush
    #10 Is that a native? The flowers look to be a Hibiscus/mallow of some kind but the leaves are not native for a Mallow family flower.
    #11 Looks like a young Rubus odoratus but could also be a number of other things. Need flowers.
    #12 Need a better picture. (edit, had to break out the keys, it's coming up as Cuckooflower, a relative of watercress. Not sure you want to eat it though. Are the stem leaves long and narrow, different from the lobed basal leaves?)
    #13 99.9% certain this one is Digitalis (deadly)
    #14 Maianthemum canadense

Thanks for the workout. Skills are rusty.
    Last edited by LowKey; 05-29-2009 at 08:22 PM.

The problem with posting just one season of a plant is that it's often hard to identify it. Many plants look alike until you see the flowers or seed pods or if you look at the roots. I understand what you are trying to do but just seeing a part of a plant makes it difficult to name it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

You can pretty much identify almost any Northern tier US plant from flowers and leaves – except for grasses and the Cruciferae (mustards). Be darn careful with your Carrot family plants.

I agree but my point in the pics above is so few have flowers...only leaves and stems.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

The trick with plants is they grow so slow, then flower and die before you can figure them out. Collect some seed. Grow some in your yard. Let the lawn go native rather than kill everything with leaves wider than a blade of grass. Go for walks through meadows and marginal forests every couple of weeks and bring a key every time. It's amazing what you'll learn. When you can get it down even to what characteristics a plant family has, that helps you when you are in not-so-native territory. Helps, but never to be relied upon if you plan on eating something...Looks can be deceiving. But I don't want to teach a Grandfather how to suck eggs either...sorry if I offend. I'm still new here.

I used to TA a keying class taught in the spring and the fall. I always argued with my profs that the kids in the Botany major should need to take both to learn the plants in all seasons. They said the course was to learn to use the keys. Phooey. Plants beat books any day.

I have a key I used when I did wetland mapping in New England. Weeds in Winter by Lauren Brown. You'd be amazed how far you can key some relatively common indicator plants even in winter.

1 I think 1 is mullein as said before, should be fuzzy, taller and kind of grayish later with yellow flowers, I used it in the Rocky mountains for TP. Worked great and no rash.
    2 Shepherds purse
    3 looks like a thistle.
    5 sure looks like Japanese knot weed, I had it in a yard once. I swear you could haul every last root and the stuff would magically reappear. Don't bring this one to your yard!
    6 The flower doesn't look like marigold to me, looks far more like yellow violet.
    14 I also agree that this one looks like Maianthemum Canadense or the wild lily of the valley family.

Smile Plant ID

I just joined 7/10/09 and found all your photos of the wild plants you need to ID.
    I can positively ID photo #2 common name pepper grass, it grows just about anywhere and is very invasive. The heart shaped pods are edible and very tasty. They taste a little like black pepper just not as strong and are great to cook with. I add it to soups and meats myself.

#6 looks like a wild violet that I have only seen one other time in the deep woods of east Texas growing in a slightly swampy area.

Miro313

Hey Miro313 - glad to have you around. When you get a chance forage your way on over to the Introduction Section and let us know a bit about yourself. Thanks. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...splay.php?f=14
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Voice in the Wilderness preachtheWORD's Avatar

1 - Probably mullein, but it is usually "fuzzy-er"

2 - Shepherd's Purse. The little "purses" give it away.

3 - Maybe young Sow Thistle or some kind of wild lettuce.

4 - the one with white flowers is possibly Trailing Arbutus?

5 - Japanese Knotweed. Pretty sure on this.

6 - probably a type of Violet. They more often have blue-purple flowers, though.

8 - some kind of Wild Lettuce?

13 - possibly very young Burdock

14 - perhaps very young Pickerelweed or Water Hyacinth?
    Last edited by preachtheWORD; 07-10-2009 at 11:58 AM.
    Preach It - Teach It - LIVE IT

Default im not sure

2.growing in city. dont know what it is but i wouldnt eat it even if it were edible

3.looks like thistle but might be prickle lettuce

4.looks like a deorative flower

8.doesnt look like it has prickles like the previos one. perhaps an imitation species

9.its pretty out of focus. try picking it and taking a picture.

10.looks like raspberry but i dont recognize the flower. maybe it is a different species or another imitaiton

11.looks like another decorative
    What you seek you never get, so why do we seek peace - unknown

Im ready for any challange that is put before me. If i cant best it i will swallow my pride and ask for help, even from an enemy. - me

Lose your king and you are without a ruler. Lose your army and you have lost all that you had. Your family, your protection, and your hope. - unknown

Just picked up a copy of "Discovering Wild Plants" by Janice J. Schofield and looked some of these up. From what I can tell:
    #2 Sheperds purse
    #6 violet
    #7 Alum root
    #11 goose or thimble berry

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Right... purslane is the good one with clear sap. spurge is the bad one with white sap.
    If you are referring to Spurge Nettle Cnidoscolus stimulosus you are passing up an Edible plant (p.32 Peterson field guides Edible Wild Plants). I have ate spurge nettle roots years ago and they are good I promise. If you mean some other plant I apologize.However none of these plants are Spurge Nettle.
    Last edited by pocomoonskyeyes; 09-19-2009 at 01:22 AM.

Poco - That's not it. He's referring to spotted spurge, which could be confused with purslane. There is quite a bit of difference between them actually. But if it was your first time looking for purslane you could make the mistake. Here is spotted spurge.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Here is purslane...

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

AHA! now I see said the blind man. there was one plant that resembled spurge nettle kinda', and that is what I thought he was referring to

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've been growing mullein around my house for about 5 years. Makes excellent tp as does mullberry leaves the mullein I grow has much longer leaves, and it's a biennial so it wont have a flower stalk until the second year. You dont necessarily have to smoke it for asthma and cough as much as just be near some thats burning (i.e. a healing tent). My grandmother introduced me to this plant and I like to think I have an intimate image in my mind but there are regional variances in pretty much all plants. If it gets a tall cluster of yellow flowers next year, make sure you save the seeds and spread them. save the woody stalk after you strip the leaves off also as it's really good for friction fire. its one of the 'miracles of nature'. The rest, i'm much to amateur to even guess. without flowers and a key, i'm useless.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

I grow Charmin around my house. It makes an excellent TP, too.....just sayin'......