View Poll Results: Which Mora knives are your favorites?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mora 780 Craftsman

10 33.33%
  • Mora S-1

2 6.67%
  • Mora 840 Clipper / 840-MG Military

9 30.00%
  • Mora 440 Sports/Scout Knife

1 3.33%
  • Mora 911 All Purpose

2 6.67%
  • Mora 1

6 20.00%
  • Mora 137

0 0%
  • Mora 2000 Survival Knife

5 16.67%
  • Mora 521 Hard Grip

0 0%
  • Mora 746

1 3.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Mora Knife is the Best?

Default Which Mora Knifes Are Your Favorites?

With all the positive talk about Mora knives, I reckon I will finally check them out.

For current Mora owners, which model is your favorite, and why?
    Last edited by sgtdraino; 07-15-2009 at 06:03 PM. Reason: better title
    "How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isn't merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower people's expectations thereby enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation?" -Deputy Dewey Riley, Scream 2

I only own one (recent purchase) - S1, red birch handled. For $10.50 you can't go wrong. My next order I'll probably get some of the other models. One drawback according to Klkak of the plastic handled models (probably not an issue for 95% of forum members) is that with prolonged use in cold, cold, cold temps he experienced failure or separation of the handle (like I said, probably not an issue for 95%)

The only thing I am not thrilled about with the S1 is the lack of a finger guard. So far no cuts where they are not supposed to be.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

My personal preference is the 780 aka the craftsman. It does have a finger guard, which is a little phobia of mine and a lanyard hole. The blade is 4 1/8 inches long so it's long enough to handle most everyday jobs. I guess that's why they named it the craftsman (shrug). Anyway, I use it when I'm working outside around the house and in the garden. It's also my carry in the woods.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Ragweed Forge offers a good catalog of Mora's here.

Default Depends...

I have 4 moras that I got from ragweedforge. Here's a picture of them plus an extra at the top.

Top = #840 Carbon Steel Clipper
    Middle = #440 Sports Knife Stainless Steel
    Bottom = #???-C Can't remember the number, it was a factory flaw of the one that he was told that was issued to their military. Instead of being Stainless, it's Carbon Steel.
    Right = #911 All purpose Carbon Steel

The #840 seems like a good all around knife. Feels very nice in the hand.

The #440 seems like it would do well around water. Stainless steel with a sheath that has a rubber clasp to keep from falling out. The others only sit in their sheaths. The handle is a little small for my hands.

The #???-C seems like a good all around knife. The sheath is better designed than most others, but does not have a clasp.

The #911 is the one I've used the most while totally remodeling our bathroom. It worked out very well. I've even batoned down some saplings about a wrist's thickness. Steel is thicker than the others. The handle shape may not be to your liking. It may be cumbersome to some activites.

The #840 and #911 seems to be the sturdiest in my hands. This is because of the rubberized handles and not the hollow plastic handles of the others. My pick would be between those two. Probably more likely the #840.

Daniel
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Blog Entries

Cool My choice reasons.

The reason I chose the Mora I did was because of Ken's glowing testimonial to how much he loved the knife. I'm thinking that you just need to figure out what you're going to be using it for mostly & go from there.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I like the 780 Triflex Craftsman as well. It has a slightly thicker blade and the carbon steel takes a wicked edge.

The little red #1's with the plastic finger guard handle are great for kids to learn knife stuff.

Mac
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

I have several of the military models and love them, they're cheap easy to sharpen, hold an edge prety good and I don't care if i happen to lose it.
    I know what hunts you.

I own three the clipper in carbon with the red and black handles, the morakniv scout in stainless and the swedish army knife in stainless. I prefer the clipper not because of any notice in edge holding or cutting ability over the stainless, I like it because it feels better in my hand. The rubber handle gives me a more secure feel. While the army version does have a hand gaurd the plastic handle is still slick and when wet with blood oil, or whatever still makes me feel a little uneasy.

I had a craftsman for years, worked well until I lost it.
    I now have an S1 that I use in my possibles bag. I will be picking up one of the military Moras sooner or later. I like how they feel in my hand.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Quote Originally Posted by Bugler View Post
    Ragweed Forge offers a good catalog of Mora's here.
    I was curious about these knives and since they're relatively inexpensive, I picked up two from this site. several emails back and forth with the owner before the purchse (hell, there were many options and i was curious about some sizing issues and what differences there were between relatively similar knives). Great communication and quick shipping.

I've got some heavy duty knives in my collection, so I wanted to get something a little more stripped down...just a basic utility fixed blade...I couldn't decide between two knives, so I got them both...

I got the #1 red handled knife as well as the #137 with the hot wax treated sheath.

A couple of notes on both:

#1 nice feel in the hand and the sheath is nice given it's plastic. I was a little leery about the plastic sheath, but it is nicer than expected. The sheath holds the knife well. Knife seems pretty durable and for $10.50 who can complain?

#137 - is pretty much the same sized knife, but a barely thinner handle. Has a nice full tang laminated blade. I was concerned about this blade because the description made it seem like the blade was rather flexible, but I found it to be just as strong and stiff as the #1 blade. I love the look of the unfinished handle in the nice stamped leather sheath. The sheath is not nearly as red as in the pic on the website. Comes out a nice brown shade.

Gotta say nice knives for the value.

When the glint, hits your eye
    like a big, pizza pie
    It's a Mora....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bulrush View Post
    When the glint, hits your eye
    like a big, pizza pie
    It's a Mora....
    You should copyright that, you know.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

I thought I might join in... I just got a 780 and a 521. I agree with the others. I like the shape and feel of the 780. I have not put it through any paces yet... but it seems quite capable.

I do like the little finger guard on the 521. I didnt think I would like that at all, but it feels good in my hand.

Only had them about a week... so far I am VERY impressed with the edge and the feel. Thats about all I have used them for thus far.

Bumped, because I just bought my first Mora (a 780), and because I've added a poll to this thread!
    "How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isn't merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower people's expectations thereby enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation?" -Deputy Dewey Riley, Scream 2

Blog Entries

Cool No can do!

My Mora is NOT listed...FOUL! Where's the trusty #746?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    My Mora is NOT listed...FOUL! Where's the trusty #746?
    Sorry dude, I tried to include all the ones that people have mentioned in this thread.

If you would like to modify the poll options using your modly powers, by all means put it in there. I suggest you replace the C-223 with your 746, that was just one I picked to bring it up to ten choices.

Blog Entries

Default Did it!

Thanks S.G., I just love that knife!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

This is my all-time fav. Mora!
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Here is a link to them: Swedish Knives (Scanmix Corp.)

Personally, I don't like any of the models with plastic handles. I have had students bring them (as their knife of choice) out on trips and they end up making wooden handles (in the woods) for them. The plastic handle just doesn't last and they get slippery if your hand sweats, IME.
    Everything I have posted is pure fantasy. I have not done any of the things that I have claimed to have done in my posts. I actually live in Detroit.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    My personal preference is the 780 aka the craftsman. It does have a finger guard, which is a little phobia of mine and a lanyard hole. The blade is 4 1/8 inches long so it's long enough to handle most everyday jobs. I guess that's why they named it the craftsman (shrug). Anyway, I use it when I'm working outside around the house and in the garden. It's also my carry in the woods.
    I didnt see it at Safe Zone ? am I just missing something ?