Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: survival kit

Banned

Default survival kit

i need to know what to put in a survival kit because i'm going to run away to the wilderness

Voyageur enseignant

Hmmm ... sounds familiar. Try using the "search" function of this Forum. There's been a lot written in earlier postings about kits. Also some very good advice to those wanting to jump into the Wilderness without sufficient preparations. Don't do anything until you know exactly what you're doing. A couple of fellows tried "roughing it" not long ago (after asking for advice here, and then ignoring it), and fortunately lived to tell the world about their mistake. Listen ... learn... PRACTICE ... then test your skills. NorthWind

Quote Originally Posted by henderson616 View Post
    i need to know what to put in a survival kit because i'm going to run away to the wilderness
    You are kidding right?? Listen to what NorthWind told you.

What skills, training, practice, experience do you have? If you have alot of skills, training, practice or experience I'm guessing that you wouln't ask that question. So...if your level of "experience" is very limited, make sure you include a card. Laminate it. Make sure your next of kin information is up to date. This is a great place to gather information and get ideas that you can practice and build on. Do not think that you can read some info and have a good outcome in the wilderness with your new survival kit.

Don't want to scare you or discourage you from following a dream or goal. The reality is that in order to survive in the wilderness you need more than to just put together a kit that you read about. Stay here, gather info, ask questions, train and practice. You will go into the wild confident in your abilites.

A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

aside from specifics (which can be too personal and custom for your own kit), look for items that satisfy the top three needs for your area/season.

In my area (southern boreal forest), they are:
    1) fire
    2) shelter
    3) food

so of course I have a firestarting setup consisting of flint/steel, vasoline-coated wound cotton gauze, a small tealite candle (carved down to 3/4" diameter) to start finicky wet tinder, and some wettinder chunks (burns even when wet).

Then I have about 50ft of 550 paracord wrapped around the outside (to bind basic leantos and poncho shelters) in addition to 50ft of 20lb test braided fishing line which serves are both cordage and fishing line (duh) which is part of my next section.

For food I have the fishing line from above, a half dozen or so small Eagle Claw hooks (barbs on shank help tremendously), snare wire, a gallon freezer bag (for distilling), and a 2'x1' sheet of folded aluminum foil (for signaling, cooking, folding into a cup, etc.).

In the areas not filled by the above, I throw in whatever may prove useful. A couple razor blades, a button compass, tablets of anti-parasite medicine (you can handle headaches, sprained foot pains, etc., but a diarrhea-spewing waterborne parasite is at the top of the list of things you want to avoid), etc.
    WARNING: This post may contain abusive language, textual violence, & a tendency to walk the line.
    This information is confidential and intended for the recipient exclusively. If you are not the recipient please notify the poster immediately and destroy the received post. Any non-member viewer of the private information contained within this post will incur a fee of no more than $25 plus legal costs. By reading this you acknowledge the above and consent to me hunting on your property.

Can I go with you ???
    Do it with what you got and you want need what you don't have

Blog Entries

Take a GPS so they can find you when you expire.

I have many walking sticks that I have carved. One in particular has a good survival kit incorporated into it.

20 FT. OF 1/4" nylon rope wrapped around as a handle.
    10 ft. of 3/4" nylon rope wrapped further down the stick.
    Tied to the stick just below the handle are:
    2 silva compasses, 1 small & 1 map compass
    whistle, mini multi tool, pace count beads, a battery powered glow stick,
    a small flashlight, 2 small carabiners, small magnifying glass ( starting fires ),
    magnesium fire starter, red blinking light,
    and a waterproof bag containing:
    2 smaller waterproof bags, 55 gal. industrial drum liner, lightweight poncho,
    emergency blanket, 2 pcs 1' x 2' aluminum foil, water purification tablets,
    fishing hooks, line, a couple pcs. of hartack,
    and a small round waterproof container holding a lighter and 10 trick birthday candles.
    ( The trick candles are hard to blow out once lit (windproof) and they burn for approx. 10 min. each. )
    "There is a saving streak of the primitive in all of us" - Euell Gibbons

Blog Entries

Thumbs down You're Kidding, right?

How old are you? If you're serious then you must be very young or immature. You've already violated the 1st rule of Survival which is: STAY FOUND! Also, you're 1st post should have been in the introductions forum under General Chat; there you tell us info about your self like your age, where abouts you live, if you're on any serious Meds, etc.. Next you need to study the "sticky" on Survival kits that Tony UK posted as well as learning to be realistic as to your goals. Check out the sticky on "The Bare Wilderness Numptys" and hopefully you'll learn. Finally you can get more ideas on Survival kits on the Homepage of this site, as well as my Blog: "For the Newbys". Good luck.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post
    Take a GPS so they can find you when you expire.
    Isnt that a locator becon ?
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony uk View Post
    Isnt that a locator becon ?
    No Tony,it is a global positioning system,like the TOM TOM navigation system for cars,some of them are portable to carry with you for navigation,and can be tracked by thier signal in emergencies.

or just a body bag so you are all ready when someone does find you

like what everyone else is saying, get some skills first. If youve read/seen "into the wild," he didnt have that much experience with outdoor living, he lived for nine weeks out there, but then died from a simple mistaken identity of a plant. living in the wild can be done, but not for someone who is inexperienced. I thought i could live in the woods by myself if i had to until one weekend when i tried it, its really not as fun as you think it is now.

Click. That was the sound of your chain being pulled. This cat is just playin' you.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Listen to what everyone is telling you, you don't just read about "running awawy to the wilderness" you must practice the needed skills to survive, and runnung away doesn't solve problems if thats what your running from it only compounds them. Survival is best survived by practice and knowledge, you gain knowledge by doing so then you gotta research the skills and then practice. But if your a minor, sometimes even an adult, then running away to the wilderness is a huge mistake. From your post you are not near ready to run away to anywhere.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Why not get help instead of running? Survival is about knowing when to stay and 'signal'
    for help. You could run yourself in to a worse place. Just my .02 on this.

Good luck and power to ya. There's a lot of info here on the site about survival kits, so I'm not gonna say anything about them. When you run away into the wilderness you're on your own and far as I'm concern you can start right here by reading up on past threads that concerns this topic. When you're out in the wilderness all alone who are you going to yell for help? Oh yea, hope you don't feed the animals. By the way, when you run-away, are you going to be a lifer...like...you're never coming back...man, that's kool.

first off if you need too ask wht to put into a kit you are no where ready you must hone your skills learn a bit then go commit suicide in the woods

Couldn't have said it better WildGoth. But seriously henderson, May I recomend you see a doctor or at very least a counselor before you "run away," for your own sake?