Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: spear fishing

Chief Executive Officer of All Operations

sounds good. what exactly do you mean by 10cm darts? like 3/16th dowel with wn exactoknife blade tip?

what i found worked amazing is by taking two nails and hammering them in at the top so they stick out the sides. then bend the tips of the nails so there facing forward with the tip of the spear. works everytime . ive even managed to hit gophers with it to.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryleyboy View Post
    what i found worked amazing is by taking two nails and hammering them in at the top so they stick out the sides. then bend the tips of the nails so there facing forward with the tip of the spear. works everytime . ive even managed to hit gophers with it to.
    Ryley,please tell me that when you hit the gopher,it died instantly,you didn't hit it and let it go off injured,did you?
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

no it died instantly.

Golly, how did I know that would be the answer? Hmmm. You do know it's illegal to spear any fur bearing animal in Saskatchewan right? Perhaps you should spend some time reading your hunting and trapping rules. See page 11 or do a search for spear.

http://www.environment.gov.sk.ca/adx...ting+Guide.pdf
    Last edited by Rick; 08-17-2008 at 08:41 AM.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Default Wondering

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf65 View Post
    Beerrunner13, now behave ya know we got sensitive types on here
    flandersander, the frog gig works I've done it and they are cheap to buy.
    When I did gig frogs and fish with pointy things frog gigs were readily available as were fish gigs. I think there was a season for both in KY. I can remember having a 4 & 5 prong fish gig, may still be in the barn, anyway you do need a barb on whatever you use for a prong and puncture would need to go thru the body or pin whatever down.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

I'm a little more concerned with his seeming fascination with killing/hurting smaller furry things in a variety of ways. Hunting is one thing. This has shades of something else entirely.

Hunter-Fisher-Trapper Ameriborn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LostOutrider View Post
    I'm a little more concerned with his seeming fascination with killing/hurting smaller furry things in a variety of ways. Hunting is one thing. This has shades of something else entirely.
    Yea, what that says. I saw a movie where, well I am not going to explain it, but it was very disturbing to say the least.

I would advise reading the Rules and Regs, as Rick pointed out. It isn't cool to cause an animal pain just for the sake of doing that. If you kill it instantly and are going to use it, that is a different story, but whacking something with a stick with a nail in it? Kind of cruel.
    To live is to survive. To hunt is to live, to fish is to live and to trap is to live.

You guys are right. Kinda went over my head. I think that's enough from me on killing anything.

we dont whack them will sticks..and all we are doing is balancing there population

anyways back to fishing....

Quote Originally Posted by Ryleyboy
    all we are doing is balancing there population
    That's a very misinformed statement. How do you know the population isn't on the verge of collapse already? You have no need to kill an animal just to kill an animal. That's not how it's supposed to work. We are stewards of the environment. Or should be. That means we owe the plants and animals our respect. It doesn't mean we don't hunt them it just means we don't indiscriminately kill them or cause them unnecessary pain and suffering. It does mean we use as much of the animal as possible once we do kill it not just leave its carcass to rot.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

we dont whack them will sticks..and all we are doing is balancing there population
    Sorry, but you said you drive nails into the sticks and bend them forward, smack them with the stick and kill instantly. So you do whack them with a stick.
    1. Listen to what Rick said in all his posts to you.
    2. There are better ways of taking an animal than whacking it with a stick with nails in it.
    3. If your doing that then you probably shouldn't be hunting them.
    4. No animal deserves to be treated, hunted like that.
    5. Hunting an animal just to hunt it and not eating and using as much of the animal as you can is just plain wrong. As Rick said you are a steward of the woods, game is taken for food and fur not for the fun of hunting and killing it.
    6. Who made you at your age the one to balance any population?
    Beo,
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Beo is right. Hunters have a bad enough reputation and some people have added road signs. Don't contribute to it.

we dont whack them... we do respect them at our farm but they are destroying things ,

Then how exaclty do you kill them,with a stick,if you are not whacking them?
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Blog Entries

My point exactly lil-sis, a hunter has to be responsible or he shouldn't be in the woods, we hunters get enough flak over our hunting and this leads to more flak from people who post things and do things like this.
    You can't really respect an animal if you take a stick with nails and smack/whack/or clobber it with it, respect means learning about the animal, finding how it lives, what it eats, its tracks, and taking it for food and other uses.
    Last edited by Beo; 08-18-2008 at 01:13 PM.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Blog Entries

This is not hunting, find a way to get rid of the gophers. And what do you do with the gophers after you whack them with a stick & nails?

We spear them and hit mabye one a week,, we throw the stick and try to hit them, we dont wack them ..