Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: spear fishing

Chief Executive Officer of All Operations

well they look like tiny nails. they are sewing pins i guess. i split the shaft into thirds, fire hardened it, then drilled a tiny hole in the ends and glued a pin inside. the pin protrudes about an inch out the 3 shafts. its basically the same thing as what you use bit pins not spikes. it is for perch by the way. is that any help?

Yeah that helps. Not sure if it'll be sturdy enough, but try it and see. That tip I showed you in the link - each "tip" is about three inches long. As far as perch - that is mainly what I speared (that and ling cod). Just floated in the kelp beds and BLAM. I could usually get about 30 - 50 on a tank of air.

For perch you may be O.K.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

what else should i try? for perch i mean.

Can't help you there. After fishing with a sling, it just seemed a bit tedious doing it another way. Now when I put a line in the water, it's to relax.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

that sucks. do you think i could use a frog gig? do you think i could use a slingshot with a tube mounted on the front? could i pick up the type of spear tip that you use at my local sporting goods store? fish store?

Woah. Lot's of questions there. Here's an idea. Try each of the methods you're describing and report back to the forum and share the information with everybody on how each worked. I look forward to your research.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

ok well tell me if i can get the kind of spear tip at wholesale sports or the fishin hole (bass pro shops)

what if i put like a foot of thin piano wire into the end of a piece of doweling? it would make a wicked spear but i'm not sure if i could get a perch with it. Should I try it?

Ned, why would you ask? If your lake isn't frozen over in Saskatoon then have at it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

you're right. the resivoir is kind of umm... solid. i was going to make it now so i could perfect it by the time summer comes, if you must know. ricky do you think it would work? I certainly do. Also where could i get some 11lb piano wire? my local music store?

My goodness. JUST GO OUT AND TRY IT!!!!!!!!!
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

spear fishing is blody hard . just bring fishing line with u , make a hook and poll . its Alot easier

ok. jeez. i'm just looking for an expierenced hand to giude me. of course i'll try it. i just don't want to spend the 89 cents on doweling and 99 cents on piano wire if i don't have to. no i'm just kidding i'll try it. thanks for the advice. actually marcraft, i want this info to snorkel spear for fish when i'm up at the lake. not for survival fishing. i have hooks and line and weights in my survival pack.(of course)
    Last edited by flandersander; 02-22-2008 at 12:51 AM.

snorkel spear fishing now that would be fun! have to bring my snorkels next time i go to a lake , id just make a spear out of dowling and use an electric sander to give it a point. i would prob make the spear atleast 4 feet long and use fishing line instead of piano wire.

Quote Originally Posted by marcraft View Post
    snorkel spear fishing now that would be fun! have to bring my snorkels next time i go to a lake , id just make a spear out of dowling and use an electric sander to give it a point. i would prob make the spear atleast 4 feet long and use fishing line instead of piano wire.
    i don't think you understand. i am going to drill a small hole and insert the piano wire in the hole (if anybody says thats what she said i swear to god). the piano wire(11lbs) would be the tip.11lb wire is very rigid and would hold a point really well. the fish would be impaled by the rigid piano wire and stay on the wire. the doweling is simple for the holding the wire. or maybe a coathanger i havent decided yet.

oh neat . i didnt know piano wire was that straight, id just buy a lil alluminum rod .3cm radius and 3 inches long and file it down then glue it into the hole, i thought you meant to tie the spear onto your belt so u didnt loose it lol. id still go with a longer spear just to keep the accuracy when u throw it , and you could always use it for spear fishing (the kind where u stand on a shallow river and spear the fish from above)

thats the plan. I was also wondering about refraction. i've read it was behind but does anybodu know for sure?

really nobody knows about refraction? forsure?

OK well i tried the piano wire thing. its great. Crashdive I would recomend it. i used 3/32 music wire and inserted it into a piece of 1/4 inch doweling. its wicked and holds a sharp point forever. it took like an hour to sharpen.

Ned why don't you hook up with Rambo Jr there and try some boom bait, I'm sure he will make you up a batch.
    Any goverment big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have...T Jefferson