Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: spear fishing

When spearing fish of any size try for head shots , you will not lose as meany fish as this is a kill shot.
    Do it with what you got and you want need what you don't have

In manmade tanks (lakes) in the dry zone of SL I have used a bow and arrow for the same purpose. Tried the homemade spear but failed miserably. homemade bow seems to work better. Has anyone tried the bow?
    Walk softly upon the earth!

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    tv was black and white, people were stills shocked and saddened by the Kennedy assassination...Yeah yeah I was a kid, blah blah blah..anyway...we used to go spear fishing!

I knew there was a point there trax, keep going! Carry a big-assed nail in your shirt pocket, if you need to spear fish, drive the nail into a good sized stick then heat and sharpen the flat end, barbed hook! As far as nailing the buggers corn-dog....practice. Where I hail from we had plenty of rock laden creeks where we could stand out on the rocks and spear the fish, plenty of broken and damaged spears but you do get more accustomed to anticipating the fishy's movements in the water with practice.

We caught plenty of jackfish (northern pike to my southern friends) which are slimy on the outside, bony on the inside, but tasty fried and certainly meet any daily protein requirements one may have.

Man, it's been years and years since I did that, course it was illegal as hell, but I'm wanting to go back home and do it again, just thinking about it!
    We call pickerel "jackfish" down here in south Al. They look alot like a pike but not as big. Also boney, you eat the smaller ones (10 inchers) you filet and cut across the tiny bones with slashes every quarter inch. They gig suckers in north florida and gill net them here. All done at night with lights. Other than that I cant imagine spending that much time waiting in a survival situation when traps can be much more productive.
    "Choose, they croon (the ancient ones) ' The time has come again.' Choose now they croon beneath the moon beside an ancient lake ' Enter again the sweet forest. Enter the hot dream. Come with us.'Everything is broken up in dances." (Jim Morrison)

Of course you can always hog a stealhead. If you have the guts, that is.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Chief Executive Officer of All Operations

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    In manmade tanks (lakes) in the dry zone of SL I have used a bow and arrow for the same purpose. Tried the homemade spear but failed miserably. homemade bow seems to work better. Has anyone tried the bow?
    I haven't tried a bow but i plan to try a blowgun. A barbed tip or something like that. Any ideas on blowgun fishing?

Quote Originally Posted by corndog-44 View Post
    I tried a lot of the spearing methods you see in survival manuals. Most of them are a joke, in fact it was the least productive. I can catch fish by hand more successfully than with the spear. If you do try the spear method, you must fire harden the end and add a barb. Even this method looks better on TV than in real life. It took 20 tries to spear one. Has anyone had any success at spear fishing? Any tips?
    I do it all winter. Big heavy spear with multiple tines. You have to be in a dark house or dark colored canvas shelter - so the fish can't see you. You rig a bait fish in a harness, usually about a half to one pound sucker. You just watch for the fish through the hole in the ice and drop the spear when the fish is where you want it to be.

For more primitive forms of spearing, I've tied two rat spears to a pole and speared suckers. Takes a little practise, but you end up with fish. Best if they are close to the surface. Easiest if it is during spawning. Hard to miss then.

As mentioned in an earlier post, rough fish are legal to spear here. They are good smoked.
    Last edited by RBB; 01-13-2008 at 07:50 AM.
    Raised By Bears
    Bear Clan

Quote Originally Posted by flandersander View Post
    I haven't tried a bow but i plan to try a blowgun. A barbed tip or something like that. Any ideas on blowgun fishing?
    Bow & arrow
    A small barb glued on to one side of a blunt arrow. The fish need to be fairly near the surface....one to one and a half feet.

Blow gun
    I have a 6' brass tube about the diameter of a cigrette and use it as a blowgun sometimes. mostly on targets. I use a thin bamboo strip as a dart with a cigrette but fixed to the end and fluffed out. 8-10". I doubt if the dart will penetrate the fish through a foot or more of water. They are extremely light and the fluffy end will add further drag slowing down the dart. However its worth experimenting with.
    Walk softly upon the earth!

Well i don't know how much water you could hit them in but today i hit a northern pike i cought ice fishing. I shot it behind the skull and it took a lot to pull the barb out. I made a harpoon like dart out of a coathanger and a headphone jack. You should try it. if you want further instruction, just ask.

i want to try a spear. any ideas or links on good small fish spears?

I just stick with making a bow to get fish. It's just so much easier killing fish and even though making a bow and arrows takes longer than making a spear, to me it's more effective. Iv'e taken 5 Brook Trout ranging in size from 4 inches to 9 inches in one day with one of my seasoned longbows with my fish arrows with split tips. I couldn't see myself doind that with a spear. The only thing that seems easy to take with a spear is frogs to me. It's mostly becuase they sit still on the banks of creeks, making an easy target.

FlanderSander- If you want to make and try a spear, I recommend making a seasoned one which will last longer than a short-term spear. Basically cut a long sapling, about six feet long, and at least an inch thick and make sure the sapling doesn't wobble, it should be strong and barely flexible. Use a knife to peel the bark off the sapling, but don't cut into the actual wood on the staff. Set it aside in a room or out in the sun for 3 days or a week. By then, it should be dry enough. Now for the head of the spear you can choose eithier putting sharp bone, glass, tin (make sure the metal isn't soft), or a knife if you have extra ones, onto the spear. Do this by splitting the top of the spear with your knife or a hatchet, and make sure it's split only 3 or 4 inches or less down, no more. Next, insert the choosen material for the head, between the split. Bind the spear tip to the spear with wet rawhide or leather cord (when wet the leather or rawhide will dry and shrink and keep it tighter) tightly to were the tip doesn't move whe you apply pressure to it. You can use any other cordage though. Make sure though, that material used for the tip is long and skinny but not brittle. Another way, which im sure everyone knows, is the single or split fire-hardened tip. As long as you got a good knife it will be easy to carve green wood. I use green wood to make my bows and season them for a week. Green fresh wood is easier and softer to carve into with your knife and icreases the life spand of the blade. I could tell you more but I hate explaining things, I think thats why I have a couple bad grades. So if you want to learn more i suggest you visit the website- www.primitiveways.com

ok well i'm fishing for perch. I don't know how to catch them. with a impaling spear, a spear that pins them to the bottom or a harpoon like spear. i would say impaling spear.

Perch are like SunFish and Bluegill. Use your spear to get knee deep in the water and use food to attract them. Dangle the food in your fingers or let it float on the surface. Sometimes the fish will be curious enough to come to you even without bait. Stay absolutley still with the spear leveled on top of the water and wait for a fish within range to turn broadside. Try not to cast a shadow over the fish to. Aim slightly below the fish and use a quick thrust to pin the fish down. Don't lift the spear if you know you got a fish. Keep the fish pinned to the ground and reach underwater and snap the fishes neck or crush its skull with your fingers or fist. I would only use barbed spears for big fish. Perch are small panfish so I wouldn't get to fancy with the spear. Hunt when the sun is hitting the shore and hunt in the morning becuase thats when shore fish come out.

Alrighty then. Could I use the kind that is split but when a fish gets inside the jaws snap shut? or should I try to stab them? I was also going to try like 1/4 inch doweling and drill a 3/16 hole and put some 3/16 dowel inside and use that for a tip. or put an exacto knife blade at the tip of the 3/16 dowel and stab fish with that.
    Last edited by flandersander; 01-19-2008 at 07:10 PM.

You could use both. They would work fine with that type of fish. But try stabbing (impaling) them first to develop the skill. Basically just start off with the harder way and then slowly move into easier methods of spearfishing. If that fails than try other things. I think the hardest part of spearfishing is the patience needed.

well we have a great spot and there is perch there all the time. we can put some worms out and there are perch there right now. does that doweling thing sound good?

Yeah the doweling sounds good. That spot with the Perch sounds good to. Is it a lake or pond? As long as it's shallow and the water tempature is comfortable for you while you fish. And it all depends. Right now is winter time, and you said you threw some worms out there and there are Perch, and are you using fishing line and hooks, and how far are you casting out? The reason why I ask is because if you live up north, one of two things are effecting spearfishing for you. One of the problems is that the fish are going to be in deeper water and that makes spearfishing, especially in this time of year, virtually impossible. The other problem is that I think the water temperature would be to cold for you. I recently went out with my bow to get some Brook Trout traveling downstream, and the tempature was around 35-38 degrees, and I decided to step in knee deep water and after I was done fishing I couldn't feel my legs and they were red and blue and extremely numb. I would'nt risk this for fishing with a spear. I did a no-no in almost close to freezing water. Wait until Spring or those days where the temperature rises to at least 65 degrees.

it is in a 14 mile long 2oo foot deep lake trout lake. there is a small sand bar that is connected to shore and there is an abandoned beaver lodge that the perch hide in. you can walk out to the hut in ancle deep water. yes it is northern saskatchewan but the lake is surprisingly warm for wading in. in fact we water ski in it. we use worm and tiny jigs so we cast out maybe 20 feet at the most. I will do this in the summer. does the exacto blade sound like a feasable tip? or should i use something else? any recomentations?

An Exacto blade should work for a spear tip. It's a little bit small, but go ahead and try it out. Remember it has to fit snug and tight on the head of the spear. You should test the Exacto blade on the spear head right now and see if it's capable of staying on the spear. And I would get going on making a spear right now so it can season and dry out all Winter and Spring until Summer when you said you were going to spear fish. Just anytime this week grab your knife and head out in the woods to find the perfect sapling to make into a spear. If you find more than one good sapling for a spear, go ahead and cut it down and make another just in case. If you cant find any other tips for the spear, just carve a sharp poiny and fire-harden it ( im sure you know what fire-harden means). But I would try to get your hands on a fixed blade knife and use that for the spear tip. But don't do this if you only have one knife. There is a lot of ways to make a spear head, just choose one and see which one works best. I told you how to make a good fish spear so all you have to do is make it and attatch a tip or carve one. That ankle-deep water seems incredibly shallow and will make it easier to spot the fish and spear them. Thats good that the water is warm.

well where i spear them, the water is about a foot or 2 deep. i stand in ankle deep water. but it is quite easy to hit them with a stone. i will use willow for a spear. is that a good spear or should i use a different wood?