Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hear Ye! Hear Ye!

Blog Entries

Cool Hear Ye! Hear Ye!

This court is now in session, Super-Mod Sarge47 now presiding! The topic open for discussion is what knife should/could be used for the "Official Designated Wolf-Pack Survival Knife! Here are the guide-lines so Pay Attention!

1.) Low Cost, under $30!

2.) Good quality!

3.) Easy Availability!

4.) Light enough/ease of handling for anybody!

That's it, this forum topic is now open! when we get several that are in the ballpark I'll post a "survey thread" & everybody can vote, okay?

My choice: The "Mora".
    Last edited by Sarge47; 05-22-2009 at 02:38 PM.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool Add-on!

Forgot #4!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

The Cold Steel Finn Bear is also a great knife and runs around $15.00.
    The draw back is it's stainless, but here in FL, that's a good thing.
    Just my 2 cents, I've got them both.
    The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth. What befalls the Earth, befalls the sons of the Earth.
    Chief Seattle

Bear Clan

i dont own this knife but i hear a lot of good reviews about it, its the Buck Omni Hunter. this site where i get a lot of my blades from sells it for $26.94 which i think is really good for a Buck knife made in the USA. heres the link if anyone wants to check it out.

http://www.knifesupply.com/eshop/10E...ctCode=BU390BK
    how dare i call this love and not bare my cross

Bear Clan

Does Chris get a vote, and is there a sponsorship fee? I mean, if we're going to endorse a knife, Chris may as well make a couple of bucks from it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

well the frost mora is of course the old stand by. it fills just about all the requirements.

this isnt really a suggestion because it breaks the <30 dollar rule but these are some nice knives:
    http://www.cloudberrymarket.com/serv...AND/Categories

there are a few in the 40-60 dollar range (not THAT far away from 30), they are BEAUTIFUL, very well made, easy to sharpen, on and on.
    i just got a set in the mail and i think im going to break up with my girlfriend to run away with them.

Just to name a few...

Ka-Bar Little Finn Hunting Knife.
    Ka-Bar hunter knife.
    Ka-Bar skinner knife.

Gerber freeman drop point.

Ontario air force survival knife.

Orix-8 NL Muela knife.

SOG Field pup.
    Full retail at $40...but can be found for just above $30.

BUCK woodsman is just above $30.
    (just don't buy a new DVD that month)

FINN bear.

Canadian belt knife.
    (ontario)

Why do we have to have an official knife? I would think the members would choose which knife works best for them. Some like a RAT, some like a mora, some go for a CRKT, some for a kabar. Why does it have to be under $30? Why does it have to meet sarge's recomendations? Before we have an official knife we need to have a vote. If the members vote a majority then go ahead and put up your wonder knife. I myself prefer a swiss army knife or a leatherman.
    Last edited by mcfd45; 05-22-2009 at 05:01 PM.
    "A hero never lives forever, but a coward never lives"
    EMT Instructor

Blog Entries

Cool A point!

I said UNDER $30 & that's what I meant. Also remember knife weight; just because we big 'ole macho guys can handle it doesn't mean someone else can.(some of you might remember when Remy was looking for a lt-wt handgun for his wife.) So remember, we need to get as close to a "one-size fits all" as we can. List a price where-ever you can because I'll be going by that also & I'm not doing your homework for you.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmm.....

Quote Originally Posted by oneraindog View Post
    well the frost mora is of course the old stand by. it fills just about all the requirements.

this isnt really a suggestion because it breaks the <30 dollar rule but these are some nice knives:
    http://www.cloudberrymarket.com/serv...AND/Categories

there are a few in the 40-60 dollar range (not THAT far away from 30), they are BEAUTIFUL, very well made, easy to sharpen, on and on.
    i just got a set in the mail and i think im going to break up with my girlfriend to run away with them.
    Remember, some people may not have that much cash, so the under $30 rule is what I'm going by. Also, it doesn't mean that someone can't add to it later on!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

isnt a knife one of those things you dont want to skimp on though?
    is 55 dollars really too much to save up to if youre going to get a quality piece?
    seems like one of those things you invest a little more in for less headache later on.
    im no expert thats just what i assume based on what ive experienced with everything else besides knives

Blog Entries

Cool Well,since you asked....

Quote Originally Posted by oneraindog View Post
    isnt a knife one of those things you dont want to skimp on though?
    is 55 dollars really too much to save up to if youre going to get a quality piece?
    seems like one of those things you invest a little more in for less headache later on.
    im no expert thats just what i assume based on what ive experienced with everything else besides knives
    How is buying a Mora for $15 "skimping" when Survival experts/instructors highly recommend it? What if the person in question only has $20, do they do without? Just because you have the cash dosen't mean every one else will, especially right now with the finacial hard times we're going through. Finally, what about all the other factors I've mentioned? You didn't address them.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool So....

I've done some checking & the following knives qualify; all others listed so far are disqualified as they exceed the price I've posted or are not readily available. I will reconsider if the original posters can post a link that says otherwise.
    While visiting the Ontario section of a low-cost distributer I found the old Ontario Air force Survival knife now at $35. How ever I also found that they make the Ontario Spec 101 INT Tactical Hunter for $14.95. Given Ontario's excellent reputation I will also post this one on the Survey.

Cold Steel Finn Bear: Now $18/wt. 2.8 oz.
    Buck Omni Hunter: @ $27.
    Ontario Spec 101 INT Tactical Hunter @ $15.

Keep those nominations coming in folks.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

hunter-gatherer Canadian-guerilla's Avatar

is there a total knife cost ?

i've lost/misplaced 2 Cold Steel Master Hunters, @ $100+ each

today i could buy 6-7 moras for that price,
    and if i lost one, eh, i've got 5 more

the only requirement i have of a knife is a full tang, fixed blade
    and i believe the mora satisfies both
    Knowledge without experience is just information

there are two types of wild food enthusiasts,
    one picks for enjoyment of adding something to a meal,
    and the second is the person who lives mostly on ( wild ) edibles

Lydia

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    I've done some checking & the following knives qualify; all others listed so far are disqualified as they exceed the price I've posted or are not readily available. I will reconsider if the original posters can post a link that says otherwise.
    While visiting the Ontario section of a low-cost distributer I found the old Ontario Air force Survival knife now at $35. How ever I also found that they make the Ontario Spec 101 INT Tactical Hunter for $14.95. Given Ontario's excellent reputation I will also post this one on the Survey.

Cold Steel Finn Bear: Now $18/wt. 2.8 oz.
    Buck Omni Hunter: @ $27.
    Ontario Spec 101 INT Tactical Hunter @ $15.

Keep those nominations coming in folks.
    How is a swiis army knife or a Leatherman disqualified? Both can be found under 30 bucks?
    "A hero never lives forever, but a coward never lives"
    EMT Instructor

Given the rules,and following the rules it's a Mora.

These are all $5 or under. The Buck Knife in the center was a freebie for buying a case of pesticide. The two little key chain knives were $1 each. I do not rely on one of these alone while out in the wilderness, but I probably have one of them with me.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

With the exception of the Coleman Western (fifth from the left) all of these were $10 or under. The Buck was a freebie from a customer - she was throwing it out because it was in such bad shape from sitting outside in the garden for two years. It cleaned up pretty good.

Last edited by crashdive123; 05-22-2009 at 07:42 PM.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Knife on the left - under $15. Mora - $10.50. Third from left - freebie (sort of) with a contribution to the NRA-ILA. Buck in center - more than $30. Three on right - $16 for all three (used of course).

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Every knife here - under $30.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel