Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whistles

Thank you for posting about the storm whistle. I never even realized a regular whistle might not work when wet. Thanks for the information.

That storm whistle sure is a multi-tool wonder, isn't it? I'll have to see if I can find one locally. I hate having to pay for shipping if I don't have to.

Use what the Pro's use. Its still $10. Go get a "Fox 40". Used from the NBA, NFL, World Soccer, to Olympics. If you can hear them over 50,000 raging fans, its gotta be good.

They also work (with extreme pleasure, I might add) when you're directing traffic and some moron is more busy on the cell phone than operating their 4,000 pound deadly weapon.

Fox 40.
    About 98% of the (claimed) volume of the StormWhistle, and about a 1/3 of the size.

Thanks For letting me know about that
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

I'm sure a Fox whistle works fine for directing traffic and refereeing, but it is simply not in the same class as the Storm whistle when it comes to loudness and durability, the two most important features to me for a survival item.

http://www.stormwhistles.com/thestorm.html

San Francisco, CA (Or San Freak-Skid Row, if you prefer)

On my keyring I carry a whistle, pepperspray, and a flint. That and my Leatherman Wave are always within reach of where I am, and I never leave home without them. I won't fly anymore BECAUSE I won't be without them.

I bring a metal whistle with me anytime I camp because usually whoever I'm with is either way behind me, way ahead of me, or somewhere in between where I can't see. (canoeing, I mean) I also have a simple little device that takes a cell battery, waterproof, that when you pull out the litle pin, it beeps incredibly loud. I'd bet if it were close enough, it could seriously damage your ears. It's really high pitched and can be heard for a LONG ways. A whistle works too, of course!
    Strider
    I take paths untrodden...

Blog Entries

Cool Whistle on this!

First let me add that a metal whistle is "not good" for really hot or sub-zero climates. That being said, here's a web-site I got from, I believe it was "survivorman" that has a cool 3-in-1 tool. go to www.wisementrading.com/flint.htm. Then scroll on down to the "light-my-fire" folding knife with built in flint and whistle. I think that's kinda cool.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Yeah Baby!

Quote Originally Posted by Bowcatz View Post
    I bought one of these multi-tool kind that has a whistle, compass, thermometer, and magnifying glass (actually caught some oak leaves on fire with the magnifiying lense) from Coghlan. It's pretty good. The whistle is ear drum busting loud, too. It's plastic, so I keep it in my small fanny pack which is always on my belt. Now I'll know just how cold it was this upcoming deer season when sitting in my climbing stand watching frost form on the toe of my boots.

They got all kinds of camping stuff over at their site, if you are interested.
    http://www.coghlans.com/catalogue/index.php

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    I've got several of these, two made by Coleman and one by Silva. They're really loud. I've used them on my old school bus route to be heard over a bunch of loud kids. Boy did they ever sit up and take notice!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

does anyone know the best way of building a water filter in the wild to clear dirty water to drink, then the best way of making a fire, what materials are best for this

and for food i mean what can be eaten in the wilds, what types of plants, snails, grasses, fishes, animals are safe to eat, what plants are poisonous and none safe to eat?

Some things to consider about whistles, and why absolute "loudness" is not the only, or best, criterium.

ISO 12402-8:2006(en)
    Personal flotation devices — Part 8: Accessories — Safety requirements and test
    methods

Part 5 - Specifications and test methods

5.2 Whistles Whistles shall be non-metallic and robust in construction, free from all burrs, and shall not rely on any moving part for the production of sound. They shall comply with the relevant material requirements as specified in ISO 12402-7. The attachment and the cord of the whistle shall withstand a static load of (200 50 0 + ) N when tested in accordance with 5.4. Three specimens shall be tested by being blown as hard as possible by a subject of between 20 years and 30 years of age and free from all known impairments to pulmonary function, in an outside and open area during calm clear weather. The sound generated shall be shown at least at an instant to have exceeded 100 dB(A) measured at a distance of (5 ± 0,1) m directly in front of the whistle. The predominant frequency shall be (2 ± 1) kHz and shall be multi-tone. The whistle shall also be shown to be capable of producing sound in air immediately following immersion in fresh water. The whistle shall be attached to cord or line of a length sufficient to permit its use, which shall in turn be attached securely to the lifejacket or buoyancy aid. It shall be stowed on the device in such a way that the performance of the lifejacket is not affected, but so that it can be removed for use with either hand of the wearer, and can be stowed by the wearer. Whistles complying with this part of ISO 12402 shall be marked with an exclusive permanent identifying marking that can be traced to conformance with this part of ISO 12402.

You do realize this thread is 12 years old, right?

I carry one of these on my keychain, another one on my Get Home Bag.. I had to look it up on American Red Cross because I've had mine on my keychain for so many years, the paint is worn off.

On Amazon.com, search for Woodcovo 10 Pack Aluminum Whistle EDC Sport Emergency Survival Whistles with Key Chain

You get 10 of them for $6.99

120db Loud enough,Suitable for anyone who needs attention. emergency situations, referee, coaches, training, sports.

Did I miss the thread birthday party??