Thread: Seagulls

Blog Entries

Default Seagulls

Seriously. Has anyone here eaten seagull? They get pretty big, many are larger than most chickens, and I can't readily see what would distinguish them from any other wild bird in the edibility department.

I live about 300' from the water, and there must be tens of thousands of them nearby.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

I was under a flock once that decided to take a synchronized poop. Fortunately, there was an awning between them and me. Otherwise we might have found out what they taste like.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Ken,

I encourage you to give it a try. I never really considered it an option, but now that you mention it, it does seem like a novel idea. If I lived on the coast I would be inclined to try it myself.

Check with your local game laws first, though. Also, it may be some types of gulls are endangered species.
    Earth - love it or leave it.

FireSteel.com

What he said. Then.....from what I've seen French Fries will get them every time. Use an Arapuca trap with French Fries and you'd probably catch 20 at once.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

You have to cook it much like a duck as being a sea(water fowl) bird. Lots of fat, oily. So broil over a fire and save the french fries as a side dish.
    I know what hunts you.

Blog Entries

Have you ever eaten it, Sarky? If so, what does it compare to taste-wise? Duck?
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Yes, I'm not particulary fond of duck or goose, so yes it is comparable to duck or goose.
    I know what hunts you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    Yes, I'm not particulary fond of duck or goose, so yes it is comparable to duck or goose.
    Now, you're making me hungry. I LOVE duck. Of course, I'm the only one in the house who will eat it, but hey, that's okay with me.

I make Peking Duck (lots of work with this recipe) duck pastrami (Emeril's recipe) and Duck L'orange (my recipe).

Now, gotta' check them wildlife laws............
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

In my younger (and drunker days) a buddy and I were camping on the beach and caught one while fishing...its really not that hard..they think anything you throw in the air, like a baited hook, is food and will fly down and get tangled in the line. You've heard the expression that pigeons are "rats with wings" right? Well sea gulls are wharf rats.

Awful......

Seems to me it would be more similar to eating buzzard/vulture, as I have seen what they eat, and it ain't always Mickey D's french fries *blah*
    ‎"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."

I have not tried seagull. In Cuba they eat pelican. I did eat a King fisher
    that is one fine tasting bird. But seagull i don't know.
    The maximum effective range of a excuse is.......
    -----------0-----------METERS----------------

Seagulls are edible, but I've never resided by a shore, so I wouldn't know how it tastes or what to eat. But yes, seagulls are edible as far as I'm concerned.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Now, you're making me hungry. I LOVE duck. Of course, I'm the only one in the house who will eat it, but hey, that's okay with me.

I make Peking Duck (lots of work with this recipe) duck pastrami (Emeril's recipe) and Duck L'orange (my recipe).

Now, gotta' check them wildlife laws............
    Ken, you havent really gotten a straight answer yet from what I can read here but if I were you I would do like you said, check the wild life laws and if its ok to get one, by all means try it. Then post what you think of it.
    I dont mind trying anything a few times cooked different ways before I give up on it. I dont want to have a set mind as to what I will or will not eat. To big a possibility the day may come when I/we wont have a choice, its either eat what we can catch or starve to death.
    I take survival seriously and figure its better to try different things while I am in a position to practice ways to make off the beaten path food more patable "just in case"
    kitty

"The toes you step on today may be attached
    to the arse you have to kiss tomorrow"

Read a military survival manual many moons ago, and it basically listed seagulls as survival food. Comes down to it, seagull and pigeon are on the menu
    You are your dog's best friend....

Quote Originally Posted by Schleprok View Post
    Read a military survival manual many moons ago, and it basically listed seagulls as survival food. Comes down to it, seagull and pigeon are on the menu
    I have certainly eaten pigeon. They are delicious but it takes hours of par boiling to "tender" them before you can do anything with them. (unless you use a pressure cooker) The broth from these birds is very rich, very good. If you intend to bake them after par boiling them make sure to keep them well greased (bacon grease tastes best) or oiled during the baking/browning to prevent dryness. And lots of different ways to fix them.
    kitty

"The toes you step on today may be attached
    to the arse you have to kiss tomorrow"

Just goes to show you.....somebody with the name Kitty - an expert on eating birds.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Gwanny, Gwanny, come quik. I tought I saw a Kitty cat.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.