Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey Everybody

Default Hey Everybody

I'm another newbie around here. There appears to be a lot of great information from some really knowledgable people here. I don't expect to be posting a lot, but I'll be here learning!

Blog Entries

Welcome to the Forums!
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Welcome home. I feel like I know so much about you now.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Hello and welcome.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned
    Blog Entries

welcome.............

Blog Entries

Cool Hey Dawg!

Welcome Bugler! I'm "mean 'ole Sarge"! Shoot, just ask anybody! Thanks for the intro, it shows respect for the group! If you can, tell us a bit more about yourself, like age, local, experience, etc. This will help us give you better answers When/if you need any personal info!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

OK, I'm a 50 year-old guy in Huntsville, AL. I grew up in the country, so I'm not totally without survival skills, but I have an awful lot to learn. I've become more interested in survival-related stuff lately out of concern about the direction our country is heading. I think an economic meltdown is a real possibility, and I want to take whatever commonsense measures I can to be prepared for it.

I'm just getting started with this, but I've made some progress. I started by cutting four cords of firewood. I intend to install a wood heater this summer, so next winter I might starve, but I won't freeze. I'm working on putting in a garden. I'm a city boy now, so it'll have to be pretty small. I'm going to try the square-foot gardening thing. I threw together an ad hoc BOB that I'm carrying in the truck. It needs work, but it's a start. I've been thinking about some changes in the firearms department. Currently I have a Mossberg 500 12 for HD, a Taurus .38 snub, and a Remington .22. I'm thinking about selling the .38, upgrading to a .357 with a 4" barrel, and adding a Marlin 1894 in the same caliber. I'm not sure about this, just thinking.

Anyway, thanks for the nice welcome. I'm looking forward to all the great information I'll find here.

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmm.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bugler View Post
    OK, I'm a 50 year-old guy in Huntsville, AL. I grew up in the country, so I'm not totally without survival skills, but I have an awful lot to learn. I've become more interested in survival-related stuff lately out of concern about the direction our country is heading. I think an economic meltdown is a real possibility, and I want to take whatever commonsense measures I can to be prepared for it.

I'm just getting started with this, but I've made some progress. I started by cutting four cords of firewood. I intend to install a wood heater this summer, so next winter I might starve, but I won't freeze. I'm working on putting in a garden. I'm a city boy now, so it'll have to be pretty small. I'm going to try the square-foot gardening thing. I threw together an ad hoc BOB that I'm carrying in the truck. It needs work, but it's a start. I've been thinking about some changes in the firearms department. Currently I have a Mossberg 500 12 for HD, a Taurus .38 snub, and a Remington .22. I'm thinking about selling the .38, upgrading to a .357 with a 4" barrel, and adding a Marlin 1894 in the same caliber. I'm not sure about this, just thinking.

Anyway, thanks for the nice welcome. I'm looking forward to all the great information I'll find here.
    Sounds like you're on the right track. Is their any hunting where you're at? If so, what type of game?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Sarge, we've got good hunting and some great fishing in this area. I'm not much of a hunter, just a shooter, but I do love to fish. I'm in extreme north-central AL near TN. Birders go for dove, quail, and duck in this area, and there's super deer and turkey hunting just north of here in TN. Huntsville is surrounded by TVA lakes--Guntersville, Wheeler, Wilson, and Pickwick. All are good for largemouth, and all except Guntersville have good populations of smallmouth, too. This is the southern-most tip of the smallmouth's range, so it's not the best for numbers but the chances of catching trophy-size smallmouth are really good.

Blog Entries

Cool Okay...

Sarge, we've got good hunting and some great fishing in this area. I'm not much of a hunter, just a shooter, but I do love to fish. I'm in extreme north-central AL near TN. Birders go for dove, quail, and duck in this area, and there's super deer and turkey hunting just north of here in TN. Huntsville is surrounded by TVA lakes--Guntersville, Wheeler, Wilson, and Pickwick. All are good for largemouth, and all except Guntersville have good populations of smallmouth, too. This is the southern-most tip of the smallmouth's range, so it's not the best for numbers but the chances of catching trophy-size smallmouth are really good.
    Sounds great! There's no need for you to starve! On your "To Do' list, jot down "Hook up with a good hunting instructor" & learn how to hunt, field dress, butcher, & smoke/preserve wild game. Learn how to make jerky as well! Also learn how to smoke/preserve fish! Invest in a home freezer & learn how to provide your own electricity! You may never need this knowledge, but then again...?
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

You're right. I have lots of friends who are good hunters--I know they'd be happy to help me get started (or re-started. I have done some hunting, but it's been a long time.) In terms of meat rather than sport this area is probably hard to beat. We have excellent populations of rabbit and squirrel, and a world-class catfish fishery.

Welcome aboard.
    The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth. What befalls the Earth, befalls the sons of the Earth.
    Chief Seattle

Bear Clan

Thanks, Buglar. That is a great post. It helps us to know your age and experience. When you ask a question, we have a better understanding of how to answer you.

Don't worry about starting (or re-starting). Every one has to start somewhere. The important thing is that you are working on your skills. It's not just about economic uncertainty either. You could just as easily have to leave home because some neighbor has a meth lab or some industrial site has a problem. Planning for the unexpected covers a LOT of ground.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

That's a nice start, I would upgrade to the .357 and add the Marlin in .357 as well you might look into a spare barrel or 2 for the Mossy, depending on which barrel you have on it now, if the barrel you have has chokes then just get a rifled slug barrel. I f the barrel is a cylinder bore get a multi choke barrel and a slug barrel that should allow you to cover every contingency. Give us a list of what you have in your BOB, we can probably reccomend some items.
    I know what hunts you.

Hello and Welcome to the Forum!!!!
    Prepared enough.

Welcome...
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

Welcome to the forum!! Your preparations are moving in a good direction, they will come in handy for any and all eventualities. Good job!!
    Last edited by laughingbeetle; 05-26-2009 at 08:27 PM. Reason: spelling...
    Turtle Clan/Coffee Addicts Anonymous

Hello and welcome

Hello glad you could join us..

pleased ta meetcha
    You are your dog's best friend....