Thread: warning about mushrooms

retired American

Default warning about mushrooms

I just thought I would pass this information along as a warning. Six hilltribe people went to hospital here after eating mushrooms. One of them, a young girl, has died and others are in serious condition. These are people who spend their lives in mountain wilderness and still they made mistake. I do not know what kind of mushrooms they were. I only relate this information to remind people on forum to be extra careful when eating mushrooms or other wild plants unless they are absolutely certain it is safe.

Blog Entries

Crash and I have asked Sarge to do all Quality Control tests on questionable wild mushrooms. If in doubt, send them to Sarge.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Blog Entries

Cool Ooops!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Crash and I have asked Sarge to do all Quality Control tests on questionable wild mushrooms. If in doubt, send them to Sarge.
    I'm sorry, but we are currently all filled up on every variety but the Morel. If you need to know about those PM me for the address!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Like these?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Blog Entries

Cool Oh wow!

Like these?
    Yum yum yum!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Thanks, Chiangmaimav. A timely reminder in North America, too. Mushrooms are starting to pop up all over.
    Last edited by Rick; 05-21-2009 at 02:05 PM. Reason: typo
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Kind of like when my son said he found a morel. He gets good grades in school, that doesn't mean he knows the difference between a morel and false morel. When he cooked and ate it, it tasted terrible and he didn't swallow it. Luckily he didn't get sick.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bulrush View Post
    Kind of like when my son said he found a morel. He gets good grades in school, that doesn't mean he knows the difference between a morel and false morel. When he cooked and ate it, it tasted terrible and he didn't swallow it. Luckily he didn't get sick.
    You NEVER know.........
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Aminitas , and some agricus mushrooms are dangerous> the milk caps, boletes,sporassus, fairy helmets,are east to identify, i use those when i can get them .

i leave a lot of mushrooms alone. i also identify them and compare them in a book before i eat them

most mushrooms should be acurately identified with a micro-scope. the spores and claspers scrutinized.
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

I had a bunch I was going to send to QC but decided to test them myself. Turns out it was smoked ham. Who knew?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Turns out it was smoked ham.
    Q.C. tests and inspects all ham products. Even when they look like "mushrooms."
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

I've made a note.

Q.C. tests and inspects all ham products. Even when they look like "mushrooms."
    ...or if it is cut into strips and molded into the shape of an AK-47.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    ...or if it is cut into strips and molded into the shape of an AK-47.
    It's all applied science. Really.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

retired American

This week the uncle of woman who lives near me died from eating mushrooms. This is a separate incident from the original one I wrote about on this topic. He was not hilltribe person like other people but a Thai man who lived whole life in this region and generally knew which plants are safe. I do not know what is happening but I suspect there is a new species of mushroom here which resembles edible ones but is poisonous. I do not know if this happened, and if so do not know if these mushrooms are found in US or elsewhere. Just a further warning to be careful.

Rule of thumb: Avoid any fungus with white gills. We don't want people to eat Amanita Phalloides (The Death Cap) just because Mario did.

Hey Trouble - thanks for looking out for folks. When you get a chance forage your way on over to the Introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself. Thanks. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...splay.php?f=14
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thanks, will do. Also I forgot to state that edible mushrooms don't have a type of "collar" round the stock. If it was up to me, I'd eat the universally (I'd say) recognizable fungi known as the giant puffball. More edible when young. They're whitish/grayish when young and yellow or brown when older.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    Rule of thumb: Avoid any fungus with white gills. We don't want people to eat Amanita Phalloides (The Death Cap) just because Mario did.
    maybe instead of that attiude you can instead try learning about mushrooms, learn about seasons and spore prints and habitatas and so on, learn the deadlies and learn the good ones then make an informed decision from there, saying avoid the ones with white gills implies too many wrong things
    Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    Thanks, will do. Also I forgot to state that edible mushrooms don't have a type of "collar" round the stock. If it was up to me, I'd eat the universally (I'd say) recognizable fungi known as the giant puffball. More edible when young. They're whitish/grayish when young and yellow or brown when older.
    actually there are 5 mushrooms that are quite edible that have no look alikes at all, i will leave any of you to do the book work and bush time to learn those, but no need to limit yourself
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

I usually refer to my book for ID on anything wild I may eat just to make sure its the right plant . But after reading this thread I will start shipping them to ken for QC insted.
    And a thank you to the OP for the heads up.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"