View Poll Results: Sarge is a big meany with the new kids!

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • No!

16 61.54%
  • Yep!

10 38.46%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Once again....

Blog Entries

Cool Once again....

Okay, it's been pointed out to me that one of our members thinks that I am a bit to "combative" with some of the "Newbies". My answer is that, yes, I'm a "hard-charger" at times when I feel that it's warranted, but not always. However, I've asked this question before, so this time we'll put it on a survey. Who thinks I'm to tough on Newbies? C'mon if'n you got the guts!
    Last edited by Sarge47; 05-17-2009 at 01:42 PM.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Frankly, if they can't take you they have no business in the wilderness. Mother Nature is a tad more likely to kill them than you are.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I voted no. If making them "tow the line " is being a meany, then maybe you are. Why else keep a curmudgeon around
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Blog Entries

Sarge??? OUR SARGE??? Mean to Newbies???

No way.

THIS is OUR Sarge!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

I vote yes!
    Don't get me wrong, I feel they need it. He11 I got it and I'm no numpty. If they can't take it, too bad, soo sad, bye bye.
    Is that wrong of me? Never mind, I don't care.

Go Sarge!
    The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth. What befalls the Earth, befalls the sons of the Earth.
    Chief Seattle

Bear Clan

Blog Entries

Here's another pic of Sarge, taken while he was asleep. Notice the shape of his bed?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Banned
    Blog Entries

Someone as to be the "ADULT"......and it darn sure ain't going to be this cowboy..... The problem is not Sarge or his response, "WE" should all refuse to give advise, if they refuse to layout their skill'set. I say Sarge has it right, and "ALL" the rest of us have it wrong, including Me.

I think sarge should have added another choice. Is Sarge giving the kids the hard time THEY NEED? If it were a choice I'd vote yes to that choice. Some people are clueless and without sound advise are apt to get themselves and those around them in deep sh#@. I will be the first to admit I'm not clueless when it comes to survival. BUT I sure don't plan on taking off to the woods/mountians and play jeramiah johnson for a couple of months either.

Yes, I think your a little rough on alot of people. But, then again your name is "Sarge" and so your just living up to your personae...your the drill sargent of the discussion board. Nothing wrong with that.

However....with what Rick said...

"Frankly, if they can't take you they have no business in the wilderness. Mother Nature is a tad more likely to kill them than you are"

I don't wholeheartdly believe in it. THere are soft skill that can be used and developed.- without yelling and bullying

Example- a newborn baby can be quickly killed in the world without adult supervision....just the same a "Newbie" into the wilderness realm can quickly meet their demise. However- just as we nurture a young child into being able to help themselves, we can use "soft skills" into nurturing a wilderness newbie into a self-reliant person compenent to venture in and out of the wilds without harming themselves.

You don't have to yell, scream, or intimidate. You don't have to threaten, scare or exagerate. You can lead people safely into the wilderness and thoughout life by being their friend and mentor....without having military overtones or dogma.

However, there are the occassional bad dogs and dimwits out there that do need a stern voice, swift kick or bull-whip to get them to pay attention.

I just try to use those tactics only when everything else fails...you seem to go to them first. Nothing wrong with it...just different styles
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

Blog Entries

Cool Jason...

A lot of what you have to say makes sense, however sometimes we do get people joining that are either trolls or not in touch with reality. Actually, Ken's pics decipting me were a lot closer to the truth than a lot of people realize. Sometimes what many on here might confuse with "Shouting" or "being combative" is a "challenging push" to see how they'll react. Will they be an honest seeker? A Numpty who's thinking might not only threaten their well-being, but also those on here who don't know any better. Here's an example of a couple of scenarios that we've had on here.

The posters that swear up & down that it's okay to drink urine straight from the bladder! (WRONG!)

The guy that said he would willingly tresspass on private property to "survive" & wanted to see nature getting used to him & not viewing him as a threat. (HUH?)

TBWN does not need any elaboration.

The Inexperienced who show up on here trying to come off as an expert in the field, even though they've publically confessed that they are ignorant of outdoor lore.

Howard Britain & The Wall Of God!

Note: I didn't even mention spammers!

Now maybe there are some on here that don't view those concepts as dangerous, but I do & will challenge them & their views whenever they're posted...it's a forum, after all.

A final note: As we used to say when I cooked in resturants: if your viewpoint can't take the heat, keep it out of the kitchen! If it's tough enough to take what I & even others on here throw at it then maybe it will stand on it's own...maybe!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I agree...as I said

"there are the occassional bad dogs and dimwits out there that do need a stern voice, swift kick or bull-whip to get them to pay attention"

Honestly, I don't have a problem with your style...I just wanted to add other ideas to the discourse, because we don't ALL have to jump on newbies that ask stupid questions...as we all know, there are many ways to skin a cat.
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

Blog Entries

Question Hmmm.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_Montana View Post
    ...as we all know, there are many ways to skin a cat.
    I keep hearing this saying a lot & couldn't help wondering why anybody would want to do that to a poor wittle puddy tat? Unless, of course, you run a Viet Namese resturant!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

I think you take a tougher position on newbies that think they can gain the experience on the fly in the midst of a situation, if they have the cool equipment. For the newbies that refuse to see the need for practice and experience by doing they need the reality Boot to the Head. As a newbie on this forum I take a comfort in being corrected when I post something that I underestimate or understand incorrectly.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

I voted yes, but I would like to qualify that answer by stating that it is well deserved

Blog Entries

Cool Weellll Naow Laddie....

Quote Originally Posted by gryffynklm View Post
    I think you take a tougher position on newbies that think they can gain the experience on the fly in the midst of a situation, if they have the cool equipment. For the newbies that refuse to see the need for practice and experience by doing they need the reality Boot to the Head. As a newbie on this forum I take a comfort in being corrected when I post something that I underestimate or understand incorrectly.
    I think that you make a very good point here. Oft-times we get some on here that are ready to just head out the door totally unprepared. They get some great advice from members on here like certain organizations to join to help them learn, or maybe to start out by practicing in their back yard. It's not what they were hoping to hear so they get angry & start flaming on the well-meaning members...& that brings out the diciplinary action.

Most often as not, one of the 1st things a newby will post is a question about which type of "SURVIVAL" knife they should buy. The sad truth is that there is no such thing! Any fixed-blade knife made for the outdoors is ok, just don't lose or break it. The Mora knife, like the kind Rick sells is probably the best knife made for the low-budget crowd wanting a decent knife but usually is quickly over-looked as "not sexy enough".

The 1st thing a Newby should look into is 1st Aid knowledge as that will oft-times be used a lot more than their knife.
    Last edited by Sarge47; 05-17-2009 at 07:31 PM.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

I heard you first break them down, then slowly build them up. No bad habits then, or so I was told when I was a youngster. Have at them and see what they know. I was done this way and ruined for life, It's lonely here at the home.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Kids try to catch Old Coot asleep and then they poke with a stick through the fence and run like crazy. It's really cruel and they shouldn't do it. But, it is sort of funny when he reaches the end of his leash.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Sarge sure you're a bit rough to some of the new people on here, BUT from time to time we get some Numpty's and they need it, we get some youngsters and they need, It is my belief that life is not sugar coated so telling them that in a survival situation everything will be rainbows and unicorns is a laod of crapola, let them know the dangers of what could happen if they don't do prep work first.
    Over in the big sandy of Iraq and Afghanistan I was tested several times and I came through, actually fell back on something I learned here one time. Prep work and practice (which is training) will pull you through if you have the will and heart to Ranger on.
    Beo,
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf65 View Post
    Sarge sure you're a bit rough to some of the new people on here, BUT from time to time we get some Numpty's and they need it, we get some youngsters and they need, It is my belief that life is not sugar coated so telling them that in a survival situation everything will be rainbows and unicorns is a laod of crapola, let them know the dangers of what could happen if they don't do prep work first.
    Over in the big sandy of Iraq and Afghanistan I was tested several times and I came through, actually fell back on something I learned here one time. Prep work and practice (which is training) will pull you through if you have the will and heart to Ranger on.
    Beo,
    Very well said. When it comes from a guy who's been there, it means a lot more.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

I came to this forum to become prepared for the survival situation that may never happen. We all have the luxury of practicing our skills in with a fall back just incase. We test our gear to understand its use and make sure it is working properly. I'm not ready to go out and do a minimal equipment survival scenario and realize that.

Since I have been hanging around there have been at least three that have wanted to go out and place themselves in a survival lifestyle with only basic camping experience. Sarge, keep on telling telling them. If they don't listen or want to, turn it up. They don't understand the survival they are asking about.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.