Thread: How the News Affects You.

Default How the News Affects You.

You might find this an interesting statistic. According to the Project for Excellence in Journalism, coverage of the Swine Flu consumed 31% of the reporting airtime last week! Did the press overreact or actually help contain the situation? Whatever the case, most of us are more aware and somewhat better prepared for a pandemic today than we were several weeks ago.

Many complain about the news media in this country and some criticism is certainly warranted. But stop and think for a moment about what your level of information would have been on the H1N1 threat if no one had reported on it!

Here is the article as my reference and for your review:

http://www.journalism.org/index_repo...april_27_may_3
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Usually after watching the news I run around in circles for a bit screaming "we're all gonna die" then I drink a case of beer to ease my mind. Then I pass out and the next day can't remember what happened. I do agree that without some news we would not have the awareness we may need. Other times I believe the news creates more harm than good. I very seldom watch the news any way.

As with any information (tv, radio, www, word of mouth) do your homework and verify things.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

A good example of the news media skewing the "pandemic news" is the fact that when there was in fact no news, it went from a "swine flu" pandemic to an H1N1 pandemic (obviously it is the same thing), despite the fact that there were less than 2000 confirmed cases in THE WORLD The use of H1N1 was to give a more "serious" conotation to a mostly media event. I get my news from multiple sources, mostly written, and have an advantage of a corporate paid daily intel product. TV news has almost turned into one of those reality shows, entertaining, but relatively useless
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

If my memory serves me correctly, the name change occurred after Egypt decided to slaughter all the pigs in the country in order to prevent the "Swine" flu from taking hold there. It was within a day or two of that bit of news getting out that suddenly there was this effort to change the name in the public's mind.
    Last edited by RichNH; 05-14-2009 at 06:53 PM. Reason: grammer

I thought it had to do with it not being kosher in Israel to have "swine" flu. I think they should have called it the "F'ed-nda-A by Mehico" media feeding frenzy.

I haven't had enough sensationalism from my "reliable" news source. What other chum can we feed them to stir the waters a little better?

Maybe Al-Queda can make a tape indicating they have weapons grade plutonium and then cut communications. I bet we could get 4 or 5 weeks of good BS out of the major networks.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

Usually don't watch the news, when I do it's just for weather and general info. Don't trust the media for anything of real importance. For that I listen to public radio.
    Many years in the Navy reading intel reports and comparing them to the news. Much difference between the two. Most reports are slanted toward the stations viewpoint, not so much on public radio.
    You are your dog's best friend....

Uh, psssst. Schleprok. Public Radio broadcasts the news, too. But don't tell anyone.

INTEL REPORT: TOP SECRET...The USS Leaky Bucket experienced nuclear reactor failure resulting in a major release of radioactive steam.

As Reported in the News.

NPR: In the news today the U.S. Navy reported one of their aircraft carriers, the USS Leaky Bucket, experienced a momentary problem with one of the toilets on board the ship. A maintenance crew quickly responded with a plunger and placed the affected toilet back in operation.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Information is only as reliable as the source giving it, that being said the NEWS only reports one side of anything, their side and they distort things to make it sound interesting and get ratings. As Crash said do a little research and come up with your own conclusion, fact checking will save your arse.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Blog Entries

Been there. Read about it. Thought I was reading an article about a different event...........
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Speaking of news....I wonder why the network and cable outlets have gone from 100 mph in covering the swine flu to about 0. There are still outbreaks world wide. Some news sources are still covering it (and appropriately by not hyping it), but I haven't heard a peep on the televised news.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Old news. (is that an oxymoroon?)

Quote Originally Posted by doug1980 View Post
    Usually after watching the news I run around in circles for a bit screaming "we're all gonna die" then I drink a case of beer to ease my mind. Then I pass out and the next day can't remember what happened. ........ I very seldom watch the news any way.
    Attaboy Doug, but then maybe you should watch the news more often if it leads to drinking the case of beer and passing out....
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

There is a lot more truth to that post than we'd care to admit. That's just about they way they sound!!