Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I thought this was... an interesting deal

Default I thought this was... an interesting deal

Wow... me starting a thread?? who woulda thunk it. Anyways, I found this deal on some survival knives... like... yesterday I think, it looked like a really good deal for the product, and I thought I might as well share it with you guys who are avid knife collectors, or even just those of you who are looking for some good deals on a survival knife or three.

http://budk.com/product.asp?pn=17%20...cd2=1242245982

Anyways, just thought you guys might enjoy that

Lemme know what ya think!

Don't waste your money.
    Tactical Knives did an artical about a year ago on "budget knives". The editor bought 2 packages, consisting of around 45 knives. Three made it through. Five broke just opening them.
    Spend a little extra and get a good knife.
    Last edited by chiye tanka; 05-17-2009 at 12:03 AM.
    The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth. What befalls the Earth, befalls the sons of the Earth.
    Chief Seattle

Bear Clan

I'm with Chiye on this. I would not waste my money on them.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

You guys are probably right, I just figured they might be worth the money because the handles are rubber molded and all three knives were full-tang. But then again, I suppose that not everybody can be right all the time on where to spend your money.

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

you have to be very careful today when buying knives. i have a camillus "savage" that cost me $120.00 i found a look alike for $19.95. the cheaper one was soft metal and would not hold an edge. the pommel loosened up within hours of me using it. visualy identical, but very much not the same.
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

Blog Entries

Cool Bud K sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by Goloth View Post
    Wow... me starting a thread?? who woulda thunk it. Anyways, I found this deal on some survival knives... like... yesterday I think, it looked like a really good deal for the product, and I thought I might as well share it with you guys who are avid knife collectors, or even just those of you who are looking for some good deals on a survival knife or three.

http://budk.com/product.asp?pn=17%20...cd2=1242245982

Anyways, just thought you guys might enjoy that

Lemme know what ya think!
    My son ordered over $300 of stuff from Bud K & had to send over half of it back because of the poor quality. Remember, you get what you pay for! I think I've seen the same set elsewhere for half that! These guys even sell "authentic Rambo knives"!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I've wasted a lot of money @ budk. They stuff is made to hang on the wall. They do have one line of full tang blades that is pretty stout, and cheap, but you can do the same thing with a nice hunk of steel and a grinder. Except the katana. hard to get that shape, and it's only $20.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

I just got a shipment of Chinese knives. They are good little folders good for every day work that is not too heavy. But if you're going to run your truck over them, or try to snap them in half, no they wouldn't pass that test. But for every day light work, they are a great bargain. I use them every day.

Chinese knives have improved a lot since the mid 1980's, when they really were trash.

I agree bulrush, they have. Cold Steel, Benchmade, and Spyderco all offer knives made in China. They're good quality knives and I own one from Spyderco that I carry every day. I'm just trying to help Goloth out and point him in the right direction so he gets his moneys worth.
    The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth. What befalls the Earth, befalls the sons of the Earth.
    Chief Seattle

Bear Clan

Everyone might as well face it. China is the Japan of the 60s. Only they are learning their quality lessons much faster than Japan did. We outsourced to India and Pakistan. Now we outsource to China. I suspect Africa will be the next global gateway once China pay rates catch up to the rest of the world.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Everyone might as well face it. China is the Japan of the 60s. Only they are learning their quality lessons much faster than Japan did. We outsourced to India and Pakistan. Now we outsource to China. I suspect Africa will be the next global gateway once China pay rates catch up to the rest of the world.
    Well, can you say "Baby Formula" and "M E L A M I N E?"

Party Chairman: "Comrade Plant Manager, the carbon steel in the knives the Yu Kut Me plant produces is defective."

Manager: "Ahhh, Comrade, we do not produce the steel at the plant. We now outsource and buy used steel in the United States."

Chairman: "But YOU are responsible. The penalty is death by hanging."

Manager: "I accept the penalty for my failure, Comrade Chairman. But please, do not use 550 paracord. We should honor the revolution and use manilla rope produced by the I Hung U rope factory in Bejing."

*rope instantly stretches until Manager's feet touch the ground*
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

You bet. No different than some of the stuff the U.S. put out early on. I mean Coca Cola really did contain cocaine when it was first introduced. Japan produced some shoddy stuff in the late 50's and 60's. Now look at them. China will be no different. It's just part of the evolution.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

China didn't make the Corvair, Pinto or Vega (by the way, I owned all three). Just because it comes from China doesn't automatically mean the quality is poor.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Both of you are correct. I just hate the fact that much of the progress they have made is because of the technology they have stolen from us. And I don't mean technology they have copied, I mean technology they have STOLEN.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

....or technology they were sold and given.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I think that's a two way street. I sort of remember an air conditioned tunnel beneath the Soviet Embassy in D.C. that was only recently discovered. That certainly doesn't excuse them and you could put up an effective argument that China is uber aggressive at stealing both military and corporate secrets.

Not everything in BUDK is junk. A lot of it is but you can also get a good deal on a cold steel tomahawk or a gerber gator or a bushman. I know because I just did last week and the kids and I are haveing a blast working with all of them.

Jesster1

Quote Originally Posted by Jesster1 View Post
    Not everything in BUDK is junk. A lot of it is but you can also get a good deal on a cold steel tomahawk or a gerber gator or a bushman. I know because I just did last week and the kids and I are haveing a blast working with all of them.

Jesster1
    I have also seen where they carried the USMC KaBar. But I won't buy from them. I disagree with their way of pricing the shipping and handling, plus I don't want to pay that tax since I'm in Georgia.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

But I love Chinese food.

Sorry but I can't trust anything from a website that sells these keychains.

http://budk.com/35_GSKCB100/p/35%20GSKCB100/p2p/ln/
    Attached Images Attached Images