Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canned Coffee

Blog Entries

Default Canned Coffee

Remember when a can of coffee actually was a full pound and came in a metal can and not a plastic container?

Today, both my absolute favorite (Folgers) and my far distant second choice (Maxwell House) both come in plastic containers. I suspect that these containers can't cut it anywhere close to the old metal cans for long-term storage. I like to keep at least 50 lbs. on hand, and preferred to rotate my supply with normal use. I just don't trust the plastic containers........

An on-line search, if the results are accurate, shows that Yuban, Chock-Full-o'-Nuts, and Hills Bros. still come in metal cans. I bought a can of "espresso" (which was more like a dark roast) at a local dollar store for $1.00 (surprise, huh?) and it was excellent when I opened it two weeks later. When I went back hoping to buy several cases, it had all been sold.

Does anyone know of other brands still available in metal cans?
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

I do our shopping at one of two different store's, and I haven't seen coffee in a metal container at either store in a long time.
    Take only what you need, and leave the rest.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Hills Bros. in a # 10 can (Three Pounds) is what "REAL MEN" buy, and they buy it at Sam's Club........

Folgers Custom Roast (dark) or Folgers Black Silk for me. I see the brands that you listed in grocery stores around here - but not in the larger (3 lb) cans.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Stewart's Coffee still comes in a can, below is a link and it looks like the offer cans as well as other packaging from their website.

http://www.stewarts.com/Merchant2/me...vc?Screen=PLST
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    Hills Bros. in a # 10 can (Three Pounds) is what "REAL MEN" buy, and they buy it at Sam's Club........
    So, uhhh, Hopeak? What brand of coffee do YOU buy? Where do you buy it?
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i dont trust the plastic containers. plastic is made from toxic compounds. plastic in your kitchen can excelerate a fire (if one should start).I do like the tight seal of the lid. they dont come off easy like metal cans.they are impact proof. the freshness seal is melted onto the can so it has a perfect bond.(it cant realy spoil).
    Last edited by erunkiswldrnssurvival; 05-12-2009 at 09:53 PM.
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by erunkiswldrnssurvival View Post
    i dont trust the plastic containers. plastic is made from toxic compounds. plastic in your kitchen can excelerate a fire (if one should start).
    Me either, Eugene. Some things just don't need to be "improved."
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Me either, Eugene. Some things just don't need to be "improved."
    thats right i would rather have my metal coffee cans. i make so many things with them too.
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

I have found a great place to buy/order coffee. The bags are packed in heavy duty Mylar and I have some that date back 2 years and they are as good as new. Just opened one last week. The place is www.coffeebeandirect.com and their prices are great, many different kinds plus they have the green beans. Shipping is free if you order 25 pounds. I bought some of the green but haven't roasted any yet. Kinda storing those for The Big Event, whatever that may be. They also have chicory and a big selection of tea. All are availabe ground or whole bean. I prefer whole bean & grind it as I use it. I store the bags in in my root cellar and when I open one, I store the beans in canning jars in the fridge. The least expensive is called "Poor Man's Brew" priced at $3.97 a pound and is quite good. Hope this helps.
    Blessings, LindyLu NE TN
    JOIN THE MILLION SIGNATURE MARCH

Click on the link below for liberty

http://912petitions.com/index.php

Blog Entries

Thanks, LindyLu!
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Kroger brand is still in metal cans.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

Chock-Full-O'Nuts is that heavenly coffee.....better coffee a millionaires money can't buy.

I generally buy beans and grind my own as I am a coffee snob... But I can say that Target sells Metaglia Doro Espresso roast for 3.99 a can for 11 OZ. Also Don Francisco Guatemalan roast and Colombia are both good and in a metal can.
    "Evil triumphs when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke [1729-1797]

Banned

By the way there isn't a way you can make Chock Full O'Nuts that doesn't make a decent cup. It makes really good cowboy/campfire coffee. The cans seem to be pretty strong too.

www.meijer.com has coffee in cans.

Hummm, wonder how many of the brands mentions in 2009 are still in metal cans.
    I haven't seen many in while, and the ones I did see have a funky rim around the top....Think it was Hills brothers.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Kroger isn't. They are cardboard or something. They have a metal bottom. Does that count?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

A coffee can has ALWAYS been my preferred .22 target. Works good for car exhaust also

Although the plastic cans are useful also kinda.

Old thread.
    But there are a few coffees that still come in cans.
    Melitta and Don Francisca are two I can still get.

I see MRE Depot had a sale last week on green coffee beans in cans.
    Has anyone here experimented with roasting coffee beans in either a stove top corn popper, frying pan or fireplace shaker?
    The few people I know that buy green coffee use electric roasters. Takes all the fun out of it.
    The one time I did some in a frying pan I found out when the online instructions say they smoke, they really mean smoke. As in do them outside. LOL.
    I'm trying to get one of my co-workers to make a stainless spinner for me like the one on this webpage (hope it's ok to post the URL):
    http://www.sweetmarias.com/charcoalroaster.html
    The rest of it is pretty easy.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant