Thread: Morels must be ripe before eating

Default Morels must be ripe before eating

Did you know that morels that are tan all over are not ripe, and taste terrible when cooked and eaten? I didn't, neither did my son. But he wanted a morel, so I let him get one. He cooked it up, ate it, and it was terrible he said. So, a ripe morel must be dark brown on top to be ripe.

That's my guess. Any corrections?

Well, my experience has been that morels can be just about any shade brown even yellowish. Just depends on where you find them.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bulrush View Post
    Did you know that morels that are tan all over are not ripe, and taste terrible when cooked and eaten? I didn't, neither did my son. But he wanted a morel, so I let him get one. He cooked it up, ate it, and it was terrible he said. So, a ripe morel must be dark brown on top to be ripe.

verpa bohemica;(early morel is light colored.)and toxic to some (metalic taste).morcella hybrida; dark brown to rust, very good taste. the mushroom hunters handbook, by alexander smith
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

one wolf

I've eaten then almost every summer of my life... I picked them for private and commecial use. Couldn't say I tasted a bad one. If it is big enough to identify and a morel... pick it it probally ripe enough

Welcome 1wolf. Why not trot over to our Introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself?

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...splay.php?f=14

I see you live in Indiana, God's country. Not sure why you have Montana listed up there, though.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Anyone know when Morel season pretty much ends in Indiana?

Depends. Depends on temperature, humidity, rain, all the weather variables. Also location. Spring is about the best I can tell you. Probably end in Evansville quicker than Elkhart.

Why not spring over to our Introduction section and tell us something about yourself?

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...splay.php?f=14

Blog Entries

Cool That's right!

Yep, they're not ripe! You must send them to me right away for safe disposal! (gets out his skillet, flour & butter!) Morels are "ripe" when they pop up! Leave them sit & somebody else grabs them! NOTE: Not everyone likes them!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

yeah, the only morels that don't taste right are the overmature ones, on their way to rotting.

if it was firm and sound and still didn't taste right, it probably wasn't a morel. be careful.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

After doing a little research, this one was probably a "yellow morel". It was light tan all over. I didn't know there were so many types of morels.

So some people like the taste and some don't? Are they a strong-tasting mushroom like portobellas? Portebellos?

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

After doing a little research, this one was probably a "yellow morel". It was light tan all over. I didn't know there were so many types of morels.

So some people like the taste and some don't? Are they a strong-tasting mushroom like portobellas? Portebellos?
    the darker the more concentrated the flavor. the light ones like the mellow yellow are the better ones to get.Be careful of the false morells, many of those mimic the good ones in color and general appearence.
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

Isn't this a good example of being sure what you're eating before you eat it?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel