Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Get back home bag?

I am in the process of making mine now. I have a maxpedition versi pack to carry it all in.Its is black so when its in the floorbaord of my car nobody realy pays any attention to it.

True MRE's "expire" date depends on where you store them I have had MRE's that were a couple years out of date. They were edible with no side affects. But you may consider some of the survival food bars. The coast guard kind. They are sealed in aluminum foil, they come in different calorie amounts 1200-3600. They are heat/cold resistant. keep for 5+ years. AND do not make you thirsty so if you are limited on water they're great. You can make 2-4 meals out of 1 pkg. and they are about the same size/weight of 1 mre meal. you can get them at most survival suppliers the cheapest I've found are $4.00 each at beprepared.com but you may find them elsewhere/cheaper. ( I just ordered 6 more of the 2500 calorie ones)

Just a couple of questions before i can comment on your bag. Are you in a hurry to get home, Do you have family members that rely on you getting there in a hurry? If so I think your way over packed. 40 mile in one day!!! no way. If you must be there as soon as possible. disassemble a bike and put it in your trunk, with your light weight pack, If it will take you 3-4 days because of collapses, Gangs to go around, Having to go cross country then your pack should do fine. Don't get to fancy or the weight will add up. minimum shelter,food, water, small radio or scanner to find out what is going on, Might help to keep clear of the problem areas. As far as food goes, to keep it light weight and keep the calories coming i vote for those high calorie bars 2400-3600. remember your goal is only 40 miles, you can rough it for 40 miles, depending on the weather and terrain, and people factors. My 2 cents