Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replace Your Condom

Default Replace Your Condom

For those of you that choose to use condoms in your survival kit, there is another product that is about the same size but works a lot better for carrying water.

Gerber's Seal-N-Go Breast Milk Storage Bags hold about 10 fl. ounces, are triple sealed and can be reused. They won't pop open even when dropped from a height of 4 feet. While they won't hold as much as a condom, they are a lot more durable.

http://www.gerber.com/Products/Seal_...-224511a609c2#

Read Doug Ritter's Review of them:

http://www.equipped.org/etsbriefings...m_alternatives
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Sitting back in my chair, cup of coffee. Can't wait to see the responses to this
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Condoms have always seems kind of precarious to me, as a means of carrying water doubly so. In Brazil, a country that has elevated infidelity to a national pastime, a married man who carries a condom around will not be able to talk his way out of it no matter how well thought out his Altoids tin is.

I have used the milk bags as water carriers in my neck knife kit and they do work, but 10 oz of water is very little so if you plan to use them stock at least five in a kit.

My favorite water carrier besides my US Army canteen and Platypus bags is a five liter bag they sell in gas stations in Brazil. The idea is to use these five liter jerry can shaped bags to carry gasoline back to your stranded car. Yes, you read that right, gasoline in a plastic bag.

They roll up the size of a 35mm film can and are made of heavy duty plastic. They have a neck on one side and a four finger-hole grip on the other. When I run my wilderness course I make each pair of guys carry a full one all day on the first day so they gain experience with handling them in the bush but also to remind them of the importance of water and in an amount that will alter their situation.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Here's a shot of one next to the two liter Platypus bags and a canteen for scale. In this case I had used the bag to store my extra water in camp while I made a water run with my empty containers. This one has about 3.5-4 liters in it.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Another shot of one hanging on our shelter. This one was full of rain run-off.

Mac
    Last edited by Pict; 05-06-2009 at 10:07 AM.
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

Over Taxed Under Paid Swamprat1958's Avatar

I agree with Pict on Platypus bags, but I have never seen the large ones he has described. I carry the 1 liter size and am considering getting the 2.5 liter. They roll up small and are tough.

I found them at REI, here is the link.

http://www.rei.com/product/617926
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Blog Entries

There goes another multi-use item. I need something that holds alot more than 10 fluid ounces.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Pict View Post
    Condoms have always seems kind of precarious to me, as a means of carrying water doubly so. In Brazil, a country that has elevated infidelity to a national pastime, a married man who carries a condom around will not be able to talk his way out of it no matter how well thought out his Altoids tin is.

I have used the milk bags as water carriers in my neck knife kit and they do work, but 10 oz of water is very little so if you plan to use them stock at least five in a kit.

My favorite water carrier besides my US Army canteen and Platypus bags is a five liter bag they sell in gas stations in Brazil. The idea is to use these five liter jerry can shaped bags to carry gasoline back to your stranded car. Yes, you read that right, gasoline in a plastic bag.

They roll up the size of a 35mm film can and are made of heavy duty plastic. They have a neck on one side and a four finger-hole grip on the other. When I run my wilderness course I make each pair of guys carry a full one all day on the first day so they gain experience with handling them in the bush but also to remind them of the importance of water and in an amount that will alter their situation.
    Mac
    Mac, any chance I could get a link, or if not, maybe a shipment of some of those 5L plastic bags? I'd like 100 or so... And no, I'm not kidding, depending on the cost.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine_Sapper View Post
    Mac, any chance I could get a link, or if not, maybe a shipment of some of those 5L plastic bags? I'd like 100 or so... And no, I'm not kidding, depending on the cost.
    I have spent considerable time looking for a supplier in Brazil. The gas stations I've spoken with all order them from their own central distributors, BP, Ipiranga, etc. When and individual gas station runs out they just order them in small lots. I did get 150 once from one station for a group buy situation here in the US but I haven't done a repeat. So far I haven't been able to track down a manufacturer to place a large order but I'm working on it. Mac
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

All seem like good ideas but I have had much better luck with Reynolds oven bags I just cut it to size holds plenty of water is quite tough and lasts long time rolls up or folds flat is what I use
    sh4d0wm4573ri7

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine_Sapper View Post
    Here is a link that may help you. A buck a piece is a decent price;
    http://flighthelmet.com/mm5/merchant...gory_Code=SVKC

Also for those looking for a vest to use as a BOB, this site has some excellent prices on military avaiation vests
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

I think Id rather drink from the Milk bag

Blog Entries

How about IV bags? Does anyone know where they can be purchased unfilled? I did a quick web search - nothing yet.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

I have been making my own sheepskin condoms for years. Just peel them off, shake them off, rinse them off and let them airdry, can reuse them over and over. I actually use a utility knife and make a small mark on it after every use. I have used them same condom 17 times!!!
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    How about IV bags? Does anyone know where they can be purchased unfilled? I did a quick web search - nothing yet.
    I didn't think you could get them unfilled since the contents and the bag have to be sterile.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Pal334 View Post
    Here is a link that may help you. A buck a piece is a decent price;
    http://flighthelmet.com/mm5/merchant...gory_Code=SVKC

Also for those looking for a vest to use as a BOB, this site has some excellent prices on military avaiation vests
    Muchas Gracias.
    Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_Montana View Post
    I have been making my own sheepskin condoms for years. Just peel them off, shake them off, rinse them off and let them airdry, can reuse them over and over. I actually use a utility knife and make a small mark on it after every use. I have used them same condom 17 times!!!

EWWWW,Jason,thats just wrong!

Evidently it didn't work out that well,you do have a 7 month old now,LOL,J/K!
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Default Question?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_Montana View Post

Question: How many hot patches & laundry tags? I don't think the cost is worth the trouble, but to each his own
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Jason - stop cutting notches. Based on the toddler running around the house, it might have sprung a leak.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

And for God's sake take it off BEFORE you hot patch it. BEFORE!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Default BioHoop Bags with hooks

Here's another possible substitute for your condom - BioHoop Bags with hooks:

Order Form: 24 bags for $19.95
    http://www.hartwellmedical.com/pdf%2...ohooporder.pdf

Description of BioHoop Bags with hooks:
    http://www.hartwellmedical.com/biohoop.html

The Website Homepage
    http://www.hartwellmedical.com/
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark