Thread: Shelter

Default Shelter

From your own experiences, what shelter type would you say is the easiest and fastest to build and maintain?

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

the thatched roof lean-to is the simplest to build. larger more adequet shelters take longer to build and some of the A frames require drilling holes and pegging logs togather.a simple A frame that is thatched can be built by one man in two days (with enough room to stand up in)
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

A small A frame debris hut can be built in less than 3 hours with practice. It is the most protective and warm.
    Pickin' n' Grinnin'

I like the double-sided lean-to. Like a pup tent with the top open for smoke to escape.2 ridge poles lashed on the outside of 2 trees around 12 inches wide gives a 12 inch opening. All but the middle [over the fire] can be covered as well as the sides, with a crawl in door you have good fire reflection all around and can be made very large easily for a group or firewood/gear storage, cooking ect.

I second Stairmans thoughts. You can start out with just a lean-to and then add the second half as you have time to do so. I like this kind of shelter because even if I don't need the space for bodies to sleep, I can use it to store gear and firewood out of the elements.
    I know what hunts you.

Quote Originally Posted by Okwaho View Post
    From your own experiences, what shelter type would you say is the easiest and fastest to build and maintain?
    A bivy sack.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

Depends on my gear and the weather. I also like a lean-to. It's quick and simple. But a debris hut is the warmest if you build it correctly.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Mostly depends on the materials available. But yeah, I prefer a lean to. I do like Stairmans idea of a double lean to with a ridge vent.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I also agree with Stairmans idea of a double lean to with a ridge vent.
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

My favorite shelter is some sort of tarp configuration but with natural material I like some sort of lean to configuration
    sh4d0wm4573ri7