Thread: PSK container alternative to Altoids tin

Banned

Default PSK container alternative to Altoids tin

An idea I had as an alternative to the popular Altoids tin for a Personal Survival Kit container:

Ken_PSK1.jpg

Most pet stores sell these "Kitty Kap" lids that fit several different size metal cans from small 3 oz cat food such as the popular Fancy Feast (or similar BPA free alternatives) up to a larger 16 oz as shown in the photo (actually 20 fluid ounces filled to the brim, and possible to find BPA free but not easily).

So you can fill these with all your critical PSK items such as fire starters, tinder, First Aid, Water Purification Tablets, a razor blade or even a small folding knife in the larger metal can, fishing gear, snares etc.

Then seal around the bottom of the lid with tube of silicone from a hardware store for extra protection. Wrap duct tape around it because that is useful for 1001 things and will for sure keep the lid on. My 13 year old says she cannot get these lids off a Fancy Feast or similar cat food can with no other sealant added so they fit fairly snuggly as is. But I like to play it very safe.

The other brand I tried "Top Paw" is terrible both the plastic and the silicone do not stay on very well at all, don't waste your time or money. Also as you can see from the photo I cut off the extra plastic for use with the small 3 oz can, but made the mistake of cutting from the top down. It still worked but would be better to cut from the the bottom up to maintain as much of the seal as possible. Use a new sharp razor in a utility knife on cutting board or whatever works best for you. Cut wide then trim in close or do not cut at all, not really necessary.

Obvious advantage of using a BPA free metal can is that this is a cooking pot or possibly a wood stove. Use to purify water by boiling on a rock beside fire or cook your food in it directly. If a cheap metal can is kept dry while not being used it can last for a long time. I have not tried cutting off the top of a metal water bottle, or aluminum can/bottle with rolled top, but you may find some that are the correct diameter, because getting stuff out of a necked down bottle is difficult.

Comments are welcome, this is a idea in progress. Many pros and cons. Issues to be resolved.

Banned

Default Store bought alternative that works better

If your time is valuable just spend $22 on one of these:

http://www.kleankanteen.com/collecti...iant=860290523

Most cans today, even pet food cans, have a polymer liner. Almost all were BPA up until the last couple of years. In any case, there is a plastic lining in almost all cans so be careful if you use a can to boil water or cook in.

Banned

Default Avoid polymer can liners in cheap cook pots

Good point Rick, this is why I was never a big fan of the "Heineken beer ultralight pot". Polymer liner is to prevent the acidic food contents from corroding the inside of the metal alloy cans which typically contained some iron (lead in tin phased out many years ago). So if you really want to make a cheap pot an aluminum or stainless steel water bottle from a Thrift Store, Yard/Garage sale or just one with a mess up or lost top etc and rolling the cut off top may be a better option.

How to roll the top of an aluminum can or bottle, starts at about minute 3:50

you can also just use a wooden dowel or stick or knife handle or whatever and get a reasonable good safe rounded edge after cutting of the top of a can or bottle, preferably an old aluminum water bottle which does not have a polymer liner or one you sanded off.

Most aluminum water bottles have polymer linings. Not all, but most. Just check the one you get.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Banned

Default Boil water in cheap plastic

Technically water can be boiled in many plastic containers (no metal) as long as it is not placed to close to a very hot heat source, i.e. on a rock or dirt beside the fire, not in it. Even a disposable water bottle or cup can be used to boil water, and those plastic/polymer containers that microwaveable and even 350 F oven roasting foods come in can sustain heat well above boiling water temperatures. Campbell soup and others make plastic cups and bags that can be heated to boiling in a microwave or pot of boiling water for example. But when in doubt just use a stainless steel water bottle or pot and find a tight fitting lid for it for cold storage. If you use hard wood like bois d'arc or put the plastic "pot" in the middle of the fire for a long time you can definitely get above 350F, best to actually "watch your pot" it will still boil. Cheap disposable bottles are generally one time use for water purification by boiling/cooking in my experience, multiple use by UV/sun.

Just because you can boil water in plastic containers doesn't mean you should. When most plastic containers are heated up, they can release chemicals and stuff that are bad for you. I would stick with a metal container that you have checked to make sure there is not a liner to boil water with.
    A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind...
    -Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
    Just because you can boil water in plastic containers doesn't mean you should. When most plastic containers are heated up, they can release chemicals and stuff that are bad for you. I would stick with a metal container that you have checked to make sure there is not a liner to boil water with.
    I agree. The thought of plastic leeching into my water bothers me, but if all I had at the time was a water bottle, I wouldn't care. I just wouldn't make it a habit to do it all the time. Might get a plastic blockage somewhere.