Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Peanut Lighter

Here's the website for the $3 Peanut Lighter, www.jsburlysflashlights.com. Hope that helps.

countcomm.com is one of my favorite sites! it has a lot of very useful tools and the guys that run it are really cool guys. all of the bags that they sell are the best quality and are very reasonably priced. another item that i recomend for your keychain is the pico/micro widgy bar.
    how dare i call this love and not bare my cross

Bear Clan

Default I looked and looked.........

I went back and tried to find the site I bought my lighter from. The company was called Every Day Carry, and they had water tight capsule containers and other small gizmos. Maybe one of you can find them.
    -Sam

At least I have the legs to pull off a hot pink survival dress ( at least Kate says so)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Maybe you can find a hot pink sundress there. For your survival kit.
    I prefer pastels

Banned

Default Leak & crush resistant, 1 hand start, but heavy, large

Old thread I know, and many mentions of these lighters in more recent threads but Maratec recently released a 3rd XL "Peanut Lighter" in the series and I wondered how those who bought it liked it for fast fire starting. I.e. does not leak as much as Zippo or easily crushed/broken like Bic or ferro rod. I would pay 3X for Titanium but most would NOT!!! 40% less weight not worth it. Just get "split pea" and take container of extra naphtha for UL. For car camping I have various fire starters + tinder tucked in all over my gear and apparel but that is not an option for Ultra Light Backpacking.

Also I assume you could start this lighter with only one gloved hand in 0F or below but have not tried.

Pretty cool....
    Yeah an old thread....but I'll bet a lot of people wouldn't have seen it if you would have taken to time to look it up.

Well done.

I prefer the Metal Match...do have a ferro rod and striker when out of fluid.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I like the UST Floating Lighter. I received one from a friend and it's the berries. It's waterproof, floats and can be operated with one hand. It has a piezo ignition so all you have to do is push the button. You should be able to do that even with shivering fingers. I like the Peanut lighters but they are too expensive to me for what they do.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I like the UST Floating Lighter.
    This looks like a good one to leave attached in a PFD pocket for emergencies. Floats and is waterproof, light weight. My primary PFD has a whistle and spare car key attached inside the small pocket to the sewn loop at all times.

I noticed on Amazon that there are cheap Hong Kong knock-offs of the Maratec Peanut Lighter sold as: Survival Waterproof Peanut Capsule Lighter $4.24. These leak fuel which would be a nuisance. To good, cheap to be true, probably is … junk.

I will need to look into the "Metal Match" products more. I have never seen anyone actually use one of these.
    The 1" Ferro Rods with 1 or 2 holes drilled and attached to shoe laces, bracelets, or other apparel are a good idea. These work fairly well but mostly just if the tinder/kindling is very dry. Bit of oil, pj, naphtha, magnesium etc help when everything is very wet and cold.

They have been around for a long time....some image's of different kinds.

https://www.google.com/search?q=meta...2&ved=0CCgQsAQ
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I have something very similar to that lighter Rick.

I love my Numyth Tohil lighter. It doesn't seem to leak and has gone a year without drying out. It's extremely overbuilt and very high quality. Not cheap by any means but I expect it will last me many years.

The UST floating lighter might be refillable - not sure so read the instructions.
    Last edited by sjj; 06-16-2016 at 07:48 PM.

Thanks, Phaedrus. I do like the looks of that and the price isn't bad.

Thanks, SJJ. That's an excellent point.

Does anyone own a trench lighter? They were used pretty extensively in WWI and WWII and there are different types. However, they are still being made today by overseas firms. They appear to be bomb proof but I've just never bought one.

The early models were just a sparker and cotton rope that caught the spark. Most were made by Dunhill. No flames to alert the enemy or for the wind to blow out.

The round thing on a chain is the snuff. It screws down over the rope to snuff out the spark.

The newer ones operate on a more modern principle. You slide the silver piece up. It rotates the cap out of the way then you strike it just like a modern lighter. There is a screw cap in the bottom for refilling. This one is still manufactured. You can find them on ebay for less than $15.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/trench-lighter