Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peanut Lighter

Default Peanut Lighter

Ok... When I saw this thing on the countycom website( www.countycomm.com) I thought that it was "pretty cool" and last week I ordered one. It came last night and I am very happy with the quality of the product and it's tiny size. It's even smaller than a mini bic and puts out a great big flame. It is now firmly attached to my keychain and something tells me it will be there for a long time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Evil triumphs when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke [1729-1797]

Quote Originally Posted by Badawg View Post
    Ok... When I saw this thing on the countycom website( www.countycomm.com) I thought that it was "pretty cool" and last week I ordered one. It came last night and I am very happy with the quality of the product and it's tiny size. It's even smaller than a mini bic and puts out a great big flame. It is now firmly attached to my keychain and something tells me it will be there for a long time.
    I'm interested in the fluid retention on that thing. Zippo style lighters typically leak like a sieve. Case in point, overfill a zippo and put it in your pocket. You'll end up with a nasty red spot on your leg from the fluid. Now let the lighter sit for a while (possibly a long while, depending on the lighter), and eventually the cotton will end up bone dry and won't light. The website states that's not an issue with this lighter. After playing with it, how do you think it will perform? (Asking cause I want one too. )
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

My two big issues are: How long will the fluid last? and Will it leak or evaporate out?

#1 is too soon to tell, and since I don't smoke, I won't use it often...

#2 is that it will not leak! Before I filled it I sunk it to the bottom of a rain barrel and left it for an hour. It was bone-dry inside so I don't think it's going to leak out. I also use straight naptha in it, instead of "lighter fluid".

Also, even though there is no wind guard on it, It stayed lit in the fairly strong evening breeze last night when I was playing with it. It's not a hurricane light, but will do in any sort of shelter at all.

My two big issues are: How long will the fluid last? and Will it leak or evaporate out?

#2 is that it will not leak! Before I filled it I sunk it to the bottom of a rain barrel and left it for an hour. It was bone-dry inside so I don't think it's going to leak out. I also use straight naptha in it, instead of "lighter fluid".

Also, even though there is no wind guard on it, It stayed lit in the fairly strong evening breeze last night when I was playing with it. It's not a hurricane light, but will do in any sort of shelter at all.
    Thanks. The rain barrel sinks it for me. gonna hafta pick one up.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams

Blog Entries

I think I'll get a couple of them. And that website has a few other nifty things I haven't seen ....
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Pretty slick little lighter - thanks.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

They have a Gerber pocket sharpener for about 2 bucks. Got one of those too. They work in a pinch. Btw, it was one of you guys that clued me into that site, and I ordered on Wednesday afternoon and had the product on Monday...

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

nice, an improvement on the "french army trench lighter" i have one of those too. very handy; mine has a name, i call him Scorchie!
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

And what does it call you?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Just a guess - Erun Burnt Thumbs.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

I think it calls me a "FISH" whatever that means.
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.

From Illinois, eh?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

From "BAUSTON"(with an accent)
    The Mountain Breaks you.

Default Capsule lighter

I got mine last year and carry it every day. It keeps fluid for 5 months before I had to refill it. I don't smoke and even when it is out of fluid it still sparks. I like it. I got mine from a place called edc.com for around $3.00. I would recommend this lighter.
    -Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I got mine last year and carry it every day. It keeps fluid for 5 months before I had to refill it. I don't smoke and even when it is out of fluid it still sparks. I like it. I got mine from a place called edc.com for around $3.00. I would recommend this lighter.
    -Sam
    3 Bucks!!! Where did you find that???

From Illinois, eh?

Isn't that F.I.B.?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    even when it is out of fluid it still sparks.
    Even the cheapest lighter from the corner store will still spark until the flint is gone, or the plastic holding the striker wheel to the lighter breaks and the spring shoots it out the top. May not be a *good* spark like a ferro rod, but you could probably still get the job done with good tinder.
    Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by AS
    Isn't that F.I.B.?
    Same difference. Those cheese heads always thought us flatlanders were either a FISH or a FIB, depending on who you talked to. Problem is, the land ain't flat in my end of the state. Oh, yeah, well, I'm guilty on the FISH part, though.

I'd like to know where you got it, too. edc.com is some girly clothes place. It seems like just one more fad but for $3 I'd bite. I'd rather have a couple of BICs on hand than something you have to fill. It would be my luck to need the thing and it would be dry.

So let's have it. Where's this $3 lighter at?

Blog Entries

...... edc.com is some girly clothes place.
    Maybe you can find a hot pink sundress there. For your survival kit.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Pretty cool lighter, Me Likey.