Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: What Do I Need To Survive in the Wild?

Quote Originally Posted by nobody View Post
    For me the most important thing is a shelter for long term use. I plan on a place in the national forest. I've found the hardest thing is to have a concealed shelter. Hunters are famous for destroying anything they find in the woods. I built a small log cabin where I figured it couldn't be found, well it was found, and after ransacking it they burned it to the ground. I was lucky and say it, found em, and burned their vehicle to the ground.
    My point is when things go wrong, soon, a person needs a bug out shelter stocked with food and stuff that is concealed so you don't have to fight to keep it.
    I'm seriously considering an underground shelter that can't be recognised from above ground. Here in AZ we had a forest fire a year or so ago that destroyed about 90 % of our forest. Hiding a shelter is not really tough. I already have everything else I need, I just need a place near a tiny spring to hide everything.
    Good luck with that.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Default What?!

At first I thought "nobody" was another clueless kid, but his profile indicates (surprise!) a 63yr. old man.
    (Apologies to all the clueless kids) I've often wondered how one gets to that age and thinks the way he does.

DOH! Another one. I don't appreciate people squatting and destroying MY NATIONAL FOREST. And you actually burned their car? Because you believed they had violated you for squatting on public land? Yeah, right. Hunters.....gotta love 'em. Now where's my Prozac.....
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

May your states DNR find you and prosecute you to the full extent of the law.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Now all we need to do is find the news story of a burned up car on NF land, report to the cops that someone confessed to doing the arson, give them the IP address......It shouldn't take too long.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Wow, we sure get some doozy's on here

Hey! Maybe that's what started the forest fire in Gila NF. I did read that Cibola NF still has car arson fire restrictions on because of the danger so he must have been in Gila.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Default Coffee

Introspection today:

Potomac Highlands, as beautiful as it gets. I haven't been everywhere, but I've seen a lot on this Big Blue Marble. The Potomac Highlands still rate way up there, maybe it's because it's close to home.

Hunting camp, in particular Deer Hunting Camp. We hunted this same spot for nearly fifteen years, 12-15 of us, childhood/school friends. We assumed, wrongfully, that we were in National Forest. A saddle on a high ridge. Did I say HIGH, the saddle kept us out of the wind somewhat during bunk hours. NF access to a dead end, hiking trail continued. This was before the days of MVUM, we were blissfully naive.

I was in camp at noon on Thanksgiving this particular day, alone. Had I tagged out?, was I simply taking a down day?, I don't know. Why I was outside at this particular moment, I don't know. Cleaning the breakfast dishes?(that as well as cooking breakfast is relegated to a killer), the call of nature? I just can't recall, but a voice hailed "Hello in the camp!". I responded, "The coffee's hot, come and have a cup".

To make a long story short, he was in fact the land owner. This was the tenth year that we had used this spot to camp. He had a narrow band of property that crossed that saddle, and we had set up there every year. We hunted inside the NF marked boundaries, and he knew that. He had observed us every year, and said nothing. Turns out, he and Green Jeans had visited our camp first year, checked us out, found us worthy, and followed up every year thereafter. We didn't leave so much as a gum wrapper or cigarette butt behind, without knowing the "eyes" were on us. We stayed the NF rules, fourteen days and out every year. He stopped because he seen someone outside, it was brutally cold, and he had waited ten years to talk to one of us. After a wonderful conversation I was invited to Thanksgiving dinner, and told the fourteen day rule didn't apply anymore. We could stay the full length of hunting season if we desired.

That was one of the best cups of coffee I have ever had, I surely made that pot.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

For me the most important thing is a shelter for long term use. I plan on a place in the national forest. I've found the hardest thing is to have a concealed shelter. Hunters are famous for destroying anything they find in the woods. I built a small log cabin where I figured it couldn't be found, well it was found, and after ransacking it they burned it to the ground. I was lucky and say it, found em, and burned their vehicle to the ground..

Just a thought . . . revenge does not improve your chances of survival. Much better to accept the consequences of your lack of common sense and move on. In other words, learn from your mistakes.

By the way, you say hunters are famous for destroying what they find? I've hunted for many years, my family has hunted, I've known many friends who have hunted, I've never known any hunter to act in a manner that you claim to be "famous" for hunters.
    Last edited by Stiffy; 10-26-2012 at 10:28 PM.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

For me the most important thing is a shelter for long term use. I plan on a place in the national forest. I've found the hardest thing is to have a concealed shelter. Hunters are famous for destroying anything they find in the woods. I built a small log cabin where I figured it couldn't be found, well it was found, and after ransacking it they burned it to the ground. I was lucky and say it, found em, and burned their vehicle to the ground.
    My point is when things go wrong, soon, a person needs a bug out shelter stocked with food and stuff that is concealed so you don't have to fight to keep it.
    I'm seriously considering an underground shelter that can't be recognised from above ground. Here in AZ we had a forest fire a year or so ago that destroyed about 90 % of our forest. Hiding a shelter is not really tough. I already have everything else I need, I just need a place near a tiny spring to hide everything.

OK, so the National Forest Rangers tear down an illigal shack (which is their job) so you burn the first vehicle you come across????

This sounds amazingly like some other posts we have endured of late. Sort of a signature insane line of thought. Might there be an individual getting banned repeatedly and running to the library and re-regestering under multiple names?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Like KRat said, Out here in Monongahela National Forest squatters are not welcome.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Hi to all I am a newbe and I am trying to learn about all the skills I will need in surviving unexpected situation. I do not want to live off the grid just get by in case of emergency. I am wanting to learn plants that can be used for medical needs and for eatible plants and water purification. Any advise would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by den den View Post
    Hi to all I am a newbe and I am trying to learn about all the skills I will need in surviving unexpected situation. I do not want to live off the grid just get by in case of emergency. I am wanting to learn plants that can be used for medical needs and for eatible plants and water purification. Any advise would be appreciated.
    Best place to start is the Introduction section and telling us a little about yourself, then look through the topics that cover what you are looking for. Join in the conversations or ask specific questions any time.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The Natl Forest is going to be an impotant resource in times of trouble. I doubt serously that those of us who have spent alot of time there would do anything to harm it, now or then.
    Burning a car? With the fire danger we have had state-wide? Building a cabin on USFS ground?
    Folks, this is, in fact, the West, but it just isn't that "western".
    This kinda stuff scares the heck out of me, and that could affect my behavior negatively.
    KF7ZJR I always carry a pocket knife, just in Case.

I am new to the survival community and I am too looking for what I need to survive in a survival situation. To me one of the best survival tools you can have is Survival Training at a good school.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 11-03-2012 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Removed Spam

I guess your survival school didn't teach you how to survive a forum. Spam is not appreciated. Your link has been removed.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

A guy that's new to survival running a survival school. You should have left that link up. That would have been interesting to see what kind of stuff he had.

Katana for bear hunting? Three easy moves to drop that Bruin. December 1-7
    Survival First Aid. Managing Cuts and Contusions. December 8, 9 and 10.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

You mean we missed the schedule of activities?

Crap!

Another inside joke I am not in on.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Don't you have a raccoon in the back yard that needs tending to?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Don't you have a raccoon in the back yard that needs tending to?
    That's why he missed the schedule of activities.