Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What Do I Need To Survive in the Wild?

Okay, so rip some leaves noy much energy

I would just say smoke got into my eyes.
    Surviving in Los Angeles-

Rick, good post. I think (IMHO) you need to add a few more basics, ie;
    1b, add, in wet or dry weather, or in a few feet of snow.
    1d, add, learn how to navigate by day and night, w/o a compass (the one you have may break.)
    1g, add, medicinal plants. and charcoal.
    1i, add, learning how to properly dress and skin what you've caught So you don't poison or ruin the meat. Might be wise to add brain tanning the pelt or hide.
    ADD to list:
    1m, Learn how to make cordage in your area.
    1n, Understanding animal behavior for that area.
    1o, Understanding the inportance of taking care of your feet, in any weather condition. Not doing so, can cost you your life.
    1p, learn the areas animals, insects and reptiles that can cause you harm, and the treatment there-of.
    1q, learn the areas best and worst places to set up camp. (Again might save your life.)

There's more, but I feel "these" are part of nessary basics to survive.
    Again Rick, this was just to help with the newbies, that many of us take for granted.
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

I think you just added it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Default Follow up thought - when returning

Like others I appreciate your presentation ...

To add to the list - upon returning -->

Clean and store usable equipment correctly

Prep the kit/gear for the next adventure ....

and

Document what you learned in your wilderness survival guide (dang!, paperwork))smiles
    Dr WELLth
    Educator: Surviving-the-Wilderness Program
    Where you learn:
    Prevention is Queen,
    Preparation is King

Some just everday survival. . .I know I haven't posted in a few weeks. . .but look, really your instincts are the key. I split my finger open the other day. ..and knowing what I know from my days in the woods has helped me more than any doctor would or could ever. I for went stitches, even though recommended (okay my typinng still sucks), but left the ER after 4 hours. We prepare, but experience is the key. Not sure where I am going other then 1) trust your instincts and 2) learn from you experience (i.e. here I know I have to let the cut heal a little, then let it open from some sort of wetness -- hopefully something good and it will heal). Try not to over think it.

Good common sense, practice, and a true desire to stay alive. Lastly, Fear. I have talked to many people that were put into a survival situation and seems fear tends to keep them alive and one feller it kept his two sons alive as well.

Learn the skills, read the books, buy the equipment, learn the crafts but mostly use the ole brain.
    "Most of the luxuries and many of the so-called comforts of life are not only not indispensable, but positive hindrances to the elevation of mankind.”

— Thoreau

could this be used as a check list of some sort?

Sorry Carl, I'm not sure I understand what you are asking. Do you mean this thread? If so, don't limit yourself. Use whatever information you can gather, no matter what the source. Having the information is good. What you choose to do with it is the key that can unlock doors that lead to new adventures.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

i think you understood me right thanks

Ok for the 'Puter whiz's - Does this mean I can copy and paste on something like "Wordpad" or whatever? Talking about Rick's and Lone wolfs Post, The meat of the thread... no offense anyone. I enjoy the friendly banter too it shows positive attitude a neccessity in survival, but that's the "dessert".

I'll take this step by step for those that don't even know how to cut and paste.

1. Pick the post or portion of the post you want to capture.
    2. Place your cursor to the left of where you want to start capturing the information.
    3. Click the left mouse button and hold it down.
    4. Drag the mouse to the end of the information you want to capture.
    5. Make certain all of the information you want to capture has been highlighted in blue. That's the color the forum uses to highlight. Then release the mouse button.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

6. Right click your mouse button. A drop down menu will open up.

7. Select Copy from the options.

8. Open any word processor you want. MS Word, Wordpad, Notepad or any other word processing program you use.

9. Place your cursor in the word processor, right click on the document and the drop down box will open again. This time, click on Paste and the information should be pasted into your document.

That's it! You just transferred the information from the forum to your word processor!
    Last edited by Rick; 07-30-2009 at 11:12 AM.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Ok this next might be a Question for Ken-- Is this Legal? I don't want to do any copyright infringement or such as that. Just want a good concise checklist.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pocomoonskyeyes View Post
    Ok this next might be a Question for Ken-- Is this Legal? I don't want to do any copyright infringement or such as that. Just want a good concise checklist.
    Weeeeeeeeellllllllllll, there's the "Fair Use Doctrine" to consider. There's no commercial benefit, it's for educational and/or PARODY purposes........

We're probably okay here.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Thanks for the Clarification Ken. I just want something to use as a study outline and checklist. Maybe as a guide on testing when my boys get old enough to start learning.

Blog Entries
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Thanks Ken. I think it covers it and I think I'm in the clear with my purpose/intent. Although I think I could argue that Knowledge of any kind is a benefit and a "gain". uh oh there I go playing "Outhouse Lawyer" again!! Again Thanks.
    Or I could argue the other side and say it is for research. Man you have a tough job!! Forget all the other stuff you have to learn!!!
    Last edited by pocomoonskyeyes; 07-31-2009 at 12:07 AM. Reason: punctuation/spacing

Any Knowledge on survival in good knowledge - Good Post
    Giospro

Quote Originally Posted by Giospro View Post
    Any Knowledge on survival in good knowledge - Good Post
    Hey Shipmate - how about sailing on over to the Introduction section and tell us about yourself. Thanks. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...splay.php?f=14
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I do believe the original post is OK. It stresses the things all of us know is important. There was one thing missing at least in my perusal and that is the proximity to water.You and I know well that a little while without it and the psychology isn't worth a bumpkis.
    Psychology first, sure, water second, but without proper clothing and shelter you could be dead in minutes at -57. Consider the source of your instruction to go with where you are going and where you might end up.
    Practice and patience with yourself and those you take with you.

Practice Practice and ask questions of whom you can.

Respect
    Daniel