Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What Do I Need To Survive in the Wild?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Does anyone mind if I delete back to the original post for the new folks?

What?
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

I just meant there a two pages of OFF TOPIC posts that won't help Survival John hit the wilderness with his knew Rambo knife.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I don't mind. I have the ability to go off topic in any thread. I suppose I can spare this one.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

my plan starts with protection from exposure,a duvet is easy to put togather. build it right its your bed, its your umbrella,and an over coat.to stay dry and warm. even in summer the nite time temps can be cool enough for discomfort. food (unless buried under snow) normaly isnt hard to find.plants,insects,fish and other meat,gives a wide range of choices.by roasting and grinding some of the woody plants like 3rd year Daucus carrota i get food from an otherwise inedible plant.sugar from pine tree root bark is another little known food that i use.
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

Sure. Feel free.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

Blog Entries

Cool Well,since you asked....

I think the problem was that Rick covered everything in his initial post & didn't leave anything out! That's gotta be the smallest, yet most comprehensive, book on record! It's all there, now he would like some elaboration & I agree, so what can we add? So Amy says to put a "hot, pink, sexy sundress" into the mix! Hmmmm.....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    It's all there, now he would like some elaboration & I agree, so what can we add? So Amy says to put a "hot, pink, sexy sundress" into the mix! Hmmmm.....
    Pig.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

I gotta agree, Ken. If I'm gonna try to survive in the wild and had my choice of knife or hot pink sundress, I'm goin' with the sundress. But, hey, that's just me.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Rick, I tip my hat to you, that was an EXCELLENT post. You nailed it.
    Take only what you need, and leave the rest.

Well, we've had sooooo many folks come on here asking the same question. I guess it's intuitive to us but if you don't have any experience then it probably does seem like the thing to do. So I thought if I put a sticky together then maybe we could just point them in that direction. Hopefully, it will answer some questions and point them toward the sticky. I'd really like to hear some feedback from Hopeak, Nativedude, Klkak, Wildwoman or some of the rest of you that homestead in the wilderness. Do I need to add anything?

my bad. I'll keep my mouth shut. for now.

Quote Originally Posted by amy headrick View Post
    my bad. I'll keep my mouth shut. for now.
    No need for that. Remember, these are folks coming here for advice on what to bring,study, do while out in the wilderness. I'm sure if you had asked ahead of time, your experience and actions would not have been at the forefront of peoples advice to you on how to survive. Well, except for the remaining calm part.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Crash, you flatter me. okay, the pink dress is cotten, I wouldn't wear it into the woods. Staying calm is the best advice EVER. As Douglas Adams said: "Don't Panic." Best advice there is. Oh and if you are alone in bear country, make whatever noise you can. If it means singing, sing. If it means telling yourself jokes, go for it. If it means talking like dr. suess, kill yourself.

Thanks Rick. I am going out into the forest this weekend with my son so I will be testing my skills. First up is shelter, which where I am going should not be to hard, then the real test will be fire starting with sticks. That shold keep me busy for the weekend..
    Surviving in Los Angeles-

jrock, wilderness survival tip. If you bust your hump getting a shelter built BE SURE that you don't start it on fire when you get the fire going, cuz ...you know...that'd suck..lol
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

But it would serve as a great abject lesson to your son.

Ha, thanks for the tip Trax.
    Surviving in Los Angeles-

Quote Originally Posted by jrock24 View Post
    Ha, thanks for the tip Trax.
    We're here to serve (salutes promptly)
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Besides JRock - it would be really bad form for your son to see you crying after you burned the shelter down.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Besides JRock - it would be really bad form for your son to see you crying after you burned the shelter down.
    yep, exactly that.