Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: What Do I Need To Survive in the Wild?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    The purpose of the post was to address all those folks that come on here wanting to venture out into the wild with nothing. No kit, no skills.
    I didn't get that message somehow. The no skills part especially.

In places like Cambodia, the kids there do that a lot. Probably because they can eat better. I'll stand behind my "common sense" response. In most cases that I've seen, common sense means DON'T DO IT!

The skill set answer I was looking for was pottery.

It really bothers me that today's bushcrafters and survivalists have so little insight into ancient ways and how their ancestors did things. Maybe because I'm old, I get it.......

Oh, well, there you. Pottery ranks right there. You can always tell where pottery ranks high because it's usually a different color green from the surrounding foliage...if you know what I mean.

I like to go to the woods with minimal equipment, so matches and a knife is enough for me

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

You are not 70 years old, are you?

Contrary to popular myth as you get older you really do want to do more things in the outdoors,

You want to eat.

You want to lay down in some degree of comfort and really sleep.

You want something between yourself and the bad weather that abounds outside the 4 walls and roof you call home.

I have been to the woods with only a knife and matches. Sorry, but that usually sucks as much as it sounds.

Can I do it? And since I can do it and have done it there is not much for me to prove to myself or anyone else. Suffering to make a point has generally lost its appeal and other people doing it just sort of makes us laugh a little.

I have done it many times. But if it lasts too long, usually past lunch time, or the weather is not good there is this nagging thought that always lives in the back of my head.

".....Humm, now remind me why I am here when I have a perfectly good house?...."
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

That knife and matches sounds just great until you need toilet paper. Lambs ear is nice but ain't toilet paper.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    You are not 70 years old, are you?

Contrary to popular myth as you get older you really do want to do more things in the outdoors,

You want to eat.

You want to lay down in some degree of comfort and really sleep.

You want something between yourself and the bad weather that abounds outside the 4 walls and roof you call home.

I have been to the woods with only a knife and matches. Sorry, but that usually sucks as much as it sounds.

Can I do it? And since I can do it and have done it there is not much for me to prove to myself or anyone else. Suffering to make a point has generally lost its appeal and other people doing it just sort of makes us laugh a little.

I have done it many times. But if it lasts too long, usually past lunch time, or the weather is not good there is this nagging thought that always lives in the back of my head.

".....Humm, now remind me why I am here when I have a perfectly good house?...."
    This sums it up for me too. I have a very well organized storage room full of camping gear. I really don't mind the camping. It's all the work getting ready, setting up, tearing down, cleaning up. I'd need to camp for two weeks to make it worth while. I can't even remember two weeks ago right now. Into the woods with only a knife? Sounds like being unprepared to me.

Alan

When My wife and I married, 15 years ago, we had enough camping gear and tentage to shelter and equip more than 50 people.

That was all primitive reenactment gear and did not count the modern stuff or the 28 foot RV.

Then we bought more!

I can stretch fire irons out along a fire pit 25 feet long and have cooked a whole deer on a spit occasionally.

It is still out there in the trailer. I need to go through all of it, sort it out and sell it off.

I don't need more than 8 or 10 tents anyway and all that cast iron is making the floor in the shed sag!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    The purpose of the post was to address all those folks that come on here wanting to venture out into the wild with nothing. No kit, no skills. We used to get one or two a week. Fortunately, that craze has slowed down a bit. I hesitate to say it has died off but maybe it...they...did. All the things listed in the first post are required to some extent if you wish to venture out into the wild and live with nothing but your wits. As to an extremely valuable skill, that is pretty much dependent upon the environment you are in and is certainly open to argument.

I would never recommend going out to spend a few days out in the bush with out Skills and some form of kit.. ( I think that people romanticize over the ideas and influences seen with things like Bear grylls going in with only a knife, but dont realize how set up those shows are)
    I get it some of the time people taking the mickey at some of my videos cause sometimes I actually have kit (minimal kit that is) I guess some people expect me to go in the bush with absolutely nothing and make it.. well I suppose I could If I really really had to but I have a lot of skill and a lot of experience (especially in southern Africa)
    But thus far the least amount of gear I took out into bush is basically
    a knife some paracord, and a water bottle.

WHAT one needs in the would to survive well maybe a different answer to each person (if they actually have developed their own skills and fitted gear to compliment their own strengths and weaknesses and Areas given)

But really imo New comers often have a bit of a dunning-Kruger effect going on.. they think they know but they might not really know..
    I would start off with a good 10c's kit and use that many outings then tweak the items in there to fit yourself well.. Maybe some people can do with a 5c's kit and that's just fine...
    But saying all this the kits are useless unless you know how to use it and also do some Studying and lots of practicing..
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Sad thing but the only people I know of that just jump into a real survival situation feet first, on purpose, with no prep to training, seem to be English. "I nave never been camping, hiking, never even walked the dog in the park, but I want to get into this survival thing, where can I go to survive?"

Most other people work their way into the minimal gear thing a little at a time and have some outdoor experience before they go out. We do it for recreation.

Yep, that is what we do. It is a "sport" just like being in the X games. You train, you practice, you go out and push your limits and do things others do not, but it is not SURVIVAL. You did all of it on purpose no matter how much or how little gear you take.

Then there are the people that get into situations of life or death struggle without intention. They may have some outdoor training or they may have none, but in either case they never intended to be SURVIVING in the first place. That was not their intent and they do not consider it a sport.

Very few of us "in the sport" die.

Often those placed in real survival situations do just that, they die.

I feel some sadness and a good deal of pity for those that die due to unintentional situations. Sometimes I wonder what they were thinking, why they did what they did, and why they had not even the most basic skills. But they never intended the incident that killed them to occur, never thought it was possible.

Is that naive? Possibly it is. But we live in an age when not many people get into their vehicle for the drive to work and expect to be lost in the wilderness, desert, or mountains before we reach our destination. Those of us that do prepare for such things are pidgin holed as a little bit weird.

That is why we have many sections/sub-forums here, dividing the categories of homesteading, disaster preparedness, woodcraft and wilderness survival.

Part of it is to deal with the unexpected, part is to deal with sport or lifestyle choices we have made.

But all of us that have been here for any length of time have some kind of bell that goes off in our heads that makes us scream out at newbies, "This could kill you! You are going to die!" when we hear some of their off the wall crazy @$$ plans.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 07-04-2018 at 01:17 PM.

A knife and matches, that's my kit when moving from one room to the next.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Sad thing but the only people I know of that just jump into a real survival situation feet first, on purpose, with no prep to training, seem to be English. "I nave never been camping, hiking, never even walked the dog in the park, but I want to get into this survival thing, where can I go to survive?"

Most other people work their way into the minimal gear thing a little at a time and have some outdoor experience before they go out. We do it for recreation.

Yep, that is what we do. It is a "sport" just like being in the X games. You train, you practice, you go out and push your limits and do things others do not, but it is not SURVIVAL. You did all of it on purpose no matter how much or how little gear you take.

Then there are the people that get into situations of life or death struggle without intention. They may have some outdoor training or they may have none, but in either case they never intended to be SURVIVING in the first place. That was not their intent and they do not consider it a sport.

Very few of us "in the sport" die.

Often those placed in real survival situations do just that, they die.

I feel some sadness and a good deal of pity for those that die due to unintentional situations. Sometimes I wonder what they were thinking, why they did what they did, and why they had not even the most basic skills. But they never intended the incident that killed them to occur, never thought it was possible.

Is that naive? Possibly it is. But we live in an age when not many people get into their vehicle for the drive to work and expect to be lost in the wilderness, desert, or mountains before we reach our destination. Those of us that do prepare for such things are pidgin holed as a little bit weird.

That is why we have many sections/sub-forums here, dividing the categories of homesteading, disaster preparedness, woodcraft and wilderness survival.

Part of it is to deal with the unexpected, part is to deal with sport or lifestyle choices we have made.

But all of us that have been here for any length of time have some kind of bell that goes off in our heads that makes us scream out at newbies, "This could kill you! You are going to die!" when we hear some of their off the wall crazy @$$ plans.
    I completely agree with this post! Nothing more to add
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Rat
    A knife and matches, that's my kit when moving from one room to the next.

Now that right there is funny I don't care who you are.

What an interesting topic. You guys are so cool! I'm amazed at how you can be so serious and at the same time manage to joke !?)

Quote Originally Posted by Meniku View Post
    What an interesting topic. You guys are so cool! I'm amazed at how you can be so serious and at the same time manage to joke !?)
    Its a gift.

Robert Heinlein said that if you can't carry it while at a dead run, you dont really own it. While many disparage Bill Moreland's feats in the ID mountains, for 11 years in the '30's, saying that he stole from cabins, I'd like to see them try it. :-) You can bet that the Forest Service didn't restock those cabins very often in winter, and that's when you'd need food the most. He also dared not stay in the cabins for long. He mostly slept in hollow logs. He had a tarp, a wool blanket, some hooks and line, a pocketknife, a skillet, coffeepot, flint and steel, and the clothes that he stood in for 11 years. Nobody on this forum would make it 11 weeks, if they had to start in say, November. He actually did this for 13 years, but for the last 2 years, he had a single shot .22lr rifle and 50 rds of ammo. That would be a big help, no doubt, if you really know your stuff. It would require temple, top of head, eyeball or ear-hole hits at 50 ft or less. You might manage one such shot per month, on average. Few even realize that the average deer provides only 40,000 calories and you need 2000 calories per day, for a small man (which Bill was) taking it really easy, in warm weather. Most deer are not big bucks. Most are female or juvenile or both. You have to wonder what he did for a salt-source.
    Last edited by tigrate; 09-09-2018 at 06:38 PM.

Since you seem to know everybody on this forum
    Nobody on this forum would make it 11 weeks
    I can say with confidence - you really don't have a clue do you?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

We haven't had one of these in a good while. We probably have socks older than this guy. Underwear for sure. And, yeah, our skill sets don't include B&E. He apparently doesn't realize winners of Alone and stars of their own TV shows are on this forum. But he knows everyone. So....

Using the computer at school was the dead give away.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

something familiar...
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

winners of alone have never lasted 11 weeks, even in much better climates and with lots more gear. So what's your point?