Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: What Do I Need To Survive in the Wild?

Another acrinum to remember just for survival:
    S-size up the situation
    U-undew haste makes waste
    R-remember where you are
    V-vanquish fear and panic
    I-improvise
    V-verry your route and movement (Military only)
    A-always remember who you are
    L- Live

Respect
    Daniel

I do believe the original post is OK. It stresses the things all of us know is important. There was one thing missing at least in my perusal and that is the proximity to water.You and I know well that a little while without it and the psychology isn't worth a bumpkis.
    Psychology first, sure, water second, but without proper clothing and shelter you could be dead in minutes at -57. Consider the source of your instruction to go with where you are going and where you might end up.
    Practice and patience with yourself and those you take with you.

Practice Practice and ask questions of whom you can.

Respect
    Daniel

Water is Item 1c.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by amy headrick View Post
    No fighting for me.. .i just bought a hot pink sexy as hell sundress. Not in the mood for fighting. . .
    After reading that, me neither,

Start with all basic tools and food. Each time you go out try to replace one with what mother nature gives you.Somethings are to find it may take a long time to replace a knife or axe ,fire starter,shelter,food but ones you do the feeling will be great be honest with yourself if you want it bad enough you will have it

I like your post.

Even though I believe we all have a survivor within ourselves. If we strip the
    human teachings our being is already a survivor. But since most of us has the
    doctrine of society and state deep in our belly we live in self doubt and disillusion of the world around us.

Even though I dont wish to be a statistic I usually dont plan my trips out into the wild. But I do take responsibility for my actions witch means that I must realize that I could not come back. And for that to be real I try to trust my gut when I leave the house. And that I believe to be the most important thing to have with you when taking to the wild.

Thanks for a great post.
    Dreaming is as serious as seeing or dying or any other thing in this awesome, mysterious world.
    / Journey to Ixtlan by Carlos Castaneda.

Wow, what an excellent and informative thread! Thanks!

little cabin on the river. NE interior AK

This is a really great thread!

Grandma Lori
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit
    ~Ed Abbey

just be resoursul and cunning and try to think before you act if possible use what you know to live

How about being resourceful and stopping by our Introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself? (That was cunning, wasn't it?)
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Another great (and fun) thread! Boy I need to hang out here more.
    Emergency Survival Skills - basic info and resources for emergency preparedness

Well, if you hang anything out just make sure it's PG-13. You might also hang out over at our Introduction section and tell us some great (and fun) things about you.

Wow, things you learn, you thought you knew, but had no clue. thanks for this thread was really an eye opener.

I'll just say this, the main tool to SURVIVAL is your mined. You say I can't, you won't. Say you can you will...

Excellent post. All I would add is Practice, Practice, Practice. You should go to a local camping area and simply practice building a shelter, identifying plants and starting a fire. Reading a book about making a fire is easy...going out there and doing it is a whole other thing.

You read the OP didn't you. Fess up.

Great thread buddy. Will give me somewhere to start!

Wolf

All I need is a good hunting knife and a couple rubber bands wouldn't hurt either. I can use the knife to make a spear to fish and make a spark to create fire. I can use it to kill and skin an animal. I can also mark the trees so I don't get lost. The rubber bands would help make my new favorite weapon, a slingshot. Everything else is sitting in the woods.

Now this is what I've been waiting for. Let the games begin! (firing off an imaginary gun)

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I will not comment on post #78 even though I am lauging so hard it hurts.

Same for #74. We had humanoids surviving in the wilderness when their brains were the size of lemons and Einstein would often get lost on his way to work. Never underestimate the importance of instinct and dumb luck.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?