Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What should I bring with me to start LIVING in the wild???

Hey Carl
    For tools, I would recommend the trinty of Nessmuk, let me explain, once upon a time there was a man amoung many named George Washington Sears, he was a writer for some of the outdoor magazines in the late 1800's and early 1900's. He had a pen name of Nessmuk, His trinty was a folding at that time 2-bladed pocket knife, a double bit or two bladed hatchet, and a special made hunting knife, after great serching I have found copies of his trinty. But just to thing about that trinty.
    A pocket knife, I prefer a 3-bladed what is called a stockman knife, a hatchet a regular hatchet will work it could be used as a weapon if needed, cutting wood, driving tent stakes, driving stakes for traps and other task you could think of. The hunting knife everyone need a good knife. Nessmuk would go out into the wilderness with his trinty and a 20 pound pack for weeks getting information for his articals in the magazines. But he had the knowledge and mind set to do all of this.
    I livedin the U. P. of Michigan for years, I would never go out into the bush without a good hunting knife, a heavy caliber gun, a compass, and some way to start a fire, ( several ways).
    I would suggest try some camping in your back yard with what you think you would need, at least that way you would be close to home incase of trouble.

REMEMBER MOTHER IS NICE TO HOLD AND IMBRACE BUT SHE WILL KILL YOU IF YOU LET HER.

Good luck, it sound like alot of people are willing to help if needed or wanted, take advantage of it.

Tank

Tank, You do know that this thread is over 2 years old, since anyone has heard from Carl, right?

He is one that did apparently head on out and did well for 6 months or so....

I'm sure everyone would like to know how he has fared, and wish him well.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

And your mother is a lot tougher than mine. Mine might cut you with a razor but she'd never just out and out kill you.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

"What should I bring with me to start LIVING in the wild???"

...A fully stocked Camera Crew!