Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What should I bring with me to start LIVING in the wild???

so ive been thinking hard about what ive been told here and now the plans just to go to north bay and ill see what i do from there might like you guys suggested stay there for a while get a job an apartment and learn much more get experience

thanks again everybody really i know that youre telling me not to go because you know how dangerous it would be

ill be in touch?

most sincerely

carl
    Last edited by Carl Rotebrink; 05-10-2009 at 10:34 PM.

Good luck to you Carl. Don't hesitate to come around and ask questions, or just hang out.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Yeah Carl, what Crash said. Good Luck! Stay on-board with us. Take some day and weekend trips with a friend, and you'll soon gain the experience you need for the long-term hikes. The folks here who have actually lived the type of life you contemplated are a rare breed. Maybe you will be too. Just get some training and experience first and stay in touch!
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Via Con Dios!
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Rotebrink View Post
    so ive been thinking hard about what ive been told here and now the plans just to go to north bay and ill see what i do from there might like you guys suggested stay there for a while get a job an apartment and learn much more get experience

thanks again everybody really i know that youre telling me not to go because you know how dangerous it would be

ill be in touch?

most sincerely

carl
    Carl,

You have done the right thing by seeking advice on this forum. You are wise, and will become wiser.

Many, many folks on this board I'm betting were motivated by a need, maybe even urgent, to get away to collect one's head in one place.

I'll speak personally for a moment. I don't know if you can relate to this or not. I've suffered from depression my whole fricken life. I often dream of going into the wilderness to test myself, to go right to the edge. If I die there, then I die in paradise. If not, I come back stronger. I've even dreamed of going out there and purposefully going well beyond the edge and never coming back if you catch my drift.

But you know what? About ten minutes after being out there, all I want to do is stay alive. The wilderness is an amazing place to heal the ailments that defy all medical knowledge. I don't know that anyone can explain how; it just does.

To quote John Muir: "For every unfortunate it kills, it cures a thousand." He was known for being physically ill unless he was out doing nutty things in the wilderness.

So by all means do it! Go to that edge if you must.

But first, get your brain into some good survival books. You'll find recommendations on this board. SAS is a good one. I would add Cody Lundin's 98 Degrees, which I think many of us would recommend.

No here's my big warning to you. If you don't get the skills first, you may realize something else within 10 minutes. You'll want to live and get scared scatless that you don't know how. And thay my young Jedi will ruin your trip, and you'll come back feeling worse than before.

OK, that's the head part. Then do as others suggested and get out there on shorter trips and practice those skills. Then practice them again. Then again. You can't learn it all in a book. Your skills are never complete and they are only embryonic at best from book knowledge. As Dirty Harry said, "a man has got to know his limitations."

Best of luck, and post us.
    "The deeper into the woods ya' get
    the more nuts ya' find.
    "

- Yogi Bear

Carl, good luck. Try and find a spot close by where you can just go sit in the woods. Long ago, I used to do that very thing. Living on a ship, sharing a room with 30 guys. Gotta have some me time. In homeport, found a small wooded area and would just go sit for a spell. Amazing how it recharges the batteries.
    You are your dog's best friend....

Carl i understand your desire, i've had the fantasy too many times.
    the one thing that concerned me most bout this is it reminded me of the classic "into he wild." i got into all the survival stuff backpacking. if you honestly want a break try and find some experienced trail buddies and hike some the of the Appilachian trail and practice you skills. honestly i could not think of a worst place to spend time than in remote part of canada lol.

Blog Entries

Weaponbb7, how about an introduction?

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...splay.php?f=14
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Weaponbb7 View Post
    .....honestly i could not think of a worst place to spend time than in remote part of canada lol.
    That's encouraging.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Look at it this way, Trax. No matter where you go you'll enjoy a better place than where you are now. Things are looking up!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Trax - looks like your efforts to keep the rif raf out have been successful.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Trax - looks like your efforts to keep the rif raf out have been successful.
    oh yeah, got yer pristine wilderness right here.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

No Trax. It goes something like this.

Extra! Extra! Read all about it! Pristine Wilderness available in a remote part of Canada. U.S. study reveals worst place to spend time!!!!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Not to be a smart a$$ but Carl, are you still alive and doing well?

Don't they have Internet access there?.....OK this statment was.
    A mouse ate a hole in my lumpy chair.

im ok thanks

schleprok,

the test you were talking about filling the tub with cold water two bags of ice and submerging for 30 seconds then going out in the chilly rain making fire and shelter with nothing... how would one do that?

how does one start a fire in a down pour with sticks with a time limit from being cold and wet?

i really liked your post

also im moving to north bay (the city) in early september

woods will happen when im ready

how will i know when im ready except for passing the tub test ?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Carl, Glad to see you are well, stop in more often. I for one am rooting for you, I believe you will be an Outdoorsman. You got the fire in your belly.

Carl - I agree with Hopeak. You seem to have a good head on your shoulders and will do fine.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I do understand your sentiment to abandon all and live in the woods solitarily, yet as has been mentioned plenty of times, get some basic skill first. Try a weekend excursion into the wilds on you own, the things you will need then are the things you will need long term plus extras. What will you do for cash, even the frontiersmen had to have a skill to aquire things they needed through trade. In todays modern times you will need currency, because at some point you will need to resupply. Even if it is basic things like salt, shoes, boots, flour, water treatment tablets, soap and other goods that you are commonly used to.

I answered above with what I thought was the best advice but to be specific and answer your original question I would say for starters living in canada, lots of extra clothing for the weather changes, salt for seasoning and preservation of fish and wild game, shovel, axe, two or three knives, rifle (something that can hunt both small and medium size game) .223, .243 or even a shotgun. Cooking and eating utensils, hammer saw and other hand tools along with nails to make yourself a shelter .

Glad to hear from you Carl, I have been concerned. Just make sure that you learn how to crawl before you walk and learn how to walk before you run
    A mouse ate a hole in my lumpy chair.