Thread: Last weeks Survival Situation...

Default Last weeks Survival Situation...

Last week (Mon- Wed) 3 friends and I did a multi-day float on Montana's Smith River. It snowed over a foot on us while on the trip! Although my friends and I got through it- we froze our buns off for three straight days! We were warm at camp in our sleeping bags- but the rest of the time it was friggin freezin! We had one raft and one canoe.

Sadly, we are all very, very experienced winter campers - but none of us had our winter gear....we were equipped for a spring float trip with a chance of light snow! So, we were under dressed and wet all the time!

THroughout the days, we'd stop and discuss the situation and analyze the scenarios and make sure we were making sound decisions to keep us alive no matter how wet and cold we got. We got through it without getting hypothermic with solid skills....and LUCK! It is amazing how much luck factors in sometimes. Here are some pics to enjoy!

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

Great pics! I'm glad I wasn't with you. I'm a strong believer in luck. All the skills in the world and a bit of bad luck can do you in. No skills at all and a bit of good luck and you come through it just fine. Amazing pics!!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Yeah, luck is good to have on your side! We kept saying over and over how lucky we were as we drove the shuttle after the take-out. THe canoers came close to flipping twice. The shot of adrenalin warmed them up! We covered 20 miles a day so we could get off the river in 3 days. Most folks due it in 4-5 days. We never relaxed though....just kept rowing and paddling against a strong head wind and blowing, very wet heavy snow.
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

I learned while in the military not to believe the weather man and prepare for the worst. We went to fort stewart Ga and it was in the 90s and they made fun of me for bringing my coat, then it hit the 30s and they said that it was record cold. Ha i was laughing then.
    A mouse ate a hole in my lumpy chair.

Glad everyone made it through without injury.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

Quote Originally Posted by oly View Post
    I learned while in the military not to believe the weather man and prepare for the worst. We went to fort stewart Ga and it was in the 90s and they made fun of me for bringing my coat, then it hit the 30s and they said that it was record cold. Ha i was laughing then.
    Actually, we weren't just going on the weather forecast. We were going off our own research as to historical weather conditions for those particular days.
    This was a record breaking storm! It dropped more snow on parts of Montana, in a 24 hour period than ever recorded- in history. Great Falls (which was 27 miles from our take-out point) got over 2 feet in 24 hours! Also, new low temperature records for those dates were set.

We were adequatley prepared for what the weatherman and history predicted...however, we were not prepared for a record breaking storm.

Good to see that all came out well. Chalk that one up to experience
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

glad you made it, i miss ths snow. i carry my indian oil lamps with me. they serve as hand warmers, a stove,a lamp light,and my favorite one looks like a scorpion fighting two crabs.
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

It's good to hear that you came out of it in good shape. Sorry about the bad weather though, and thank's for posting the great pictures. Look's like some beautiful country.
    Take only what you need, and leave the rest.

I know what you mean Jason, went up the mountain on a mild spring day and the a cold front came in with a wind chill factor of -20 and I thought I had overkill for clothing.
    A mouse ate a hole in my lumpy chair.

Here are some more pictures...it is a beautiful canyon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_Montana View Post
    Here are some more pictures...it is a beautiful canyon.
    Yep, sure is. Now I'm jealous as hell.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

Great pics Jason. Glad it all worked out.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Jason, glad everyone made it okay. Great pics.

Heard today at work a customer was talking about TEOTWAWKI and said he expects some really freaky weather the closer we get to 2012
    You are your dog's best friend....

Looks like quite the springtime adventure. Brrrr, I don't envy you at all on that one.

I'm reading The Survivor's Club right now and it's very interesting that the author spends a great deal of time and effort explaining just how much luck isn't just luck. Some fascinating insights with a variety of peer-reviewed sources cited throughout to back up his hypothesis. It's far more than a lucky rabbit's foot, but it is something you can improve with time and effort. Obviously you've done your work.
    I'll rest when I'm dead...

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine_Sapper View Post
    Yep, sure is. Now I'm jealous as hell.
    no sh*t, Me too. Beautiful. Love it. Thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries

That's a story suitable for another New York Times article.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark