Thread: Trunk gun?

Default Trunk gun?

I was wondering if any of you guys carry A trunk gun? I am considering getting something small that folds up and can be stored in a small lockbox. I was thinking of a small rossi or H&R single shot .223. I think it would be nice as a get home gun. And with it being a cheap gun (under 150 used) It wouldn't break the bank, I wouldn't be as upset if it were to be stolen. Do you guys and gals have any input?
    Jeff
    "A hero never lives forever, but a coward never lives"
    EMT Instructor

I haven't used one yet, but hope to. Here are some considerations:

1. SKS (cheap, but not as cheap as they used to be)
    2. Ruger 10/22 (just a .22 but pretty reliable, small, inexpensive)
    3. 30/30 (can always find a 30-30 for less than $300)
    4. Kel Tec SU16 (223 - Much more $$, but can fold down)

I do not carry a gun in my vehicle. I carry one on my person though.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I thank nimrod and crashdive for the advice. Maybe I left some ideas out of my original post. I would like to use this to get food as well as defense. I would like this gun to be either a foldup or small in design. I was planning on putting it in one of those flambeau sportsman lockers. It will be fitting in the trunk of a small car. I want it to be under 300 all together, this includes any accessories used to make it smaller (folding stocks, short barrels, etc) I think .223 would be a good round for this as I could take everything from squirrel to deer with it, .22lr would also do this and I could carry more ammo with me. If I was to get it in .223 I could carry ammo in M16 mags.
    "A hero never lives forever, but a coward never lives"
    EMT Instructor

I got what you were saying - all of my vehicles are work trucks and I prefer not to store in them. Space is kind of limited for me at least. Now when I travel, that's a different story.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The single shot rifles are a good idea.....but... I would add a 12 ga barrel to the set up. Add to that a box of buck shot as well as a box of 7.5 or 8 shot and you will have a lot more versatility.
    I know what hunts you.

Yeah, I was thinking shotgun, but just a 410 w/ different shells instead of two different barrels. .223 as a "get home gun" is a little much unless you are talking people. besides, single shot I'd rather have the shotgun for squirrels and birds. less chance you'll miss.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

Like Crash, I don't carry one in my vehicle but I do carry one on me. If I did carry one in the vehicle it would be my Kel-Tec sub 2000. It's 9mm and folds.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

What ever happened to the M1 carbine ? Nice little gun
    Last edited by Smok; 05-03-2009 at 11:14 PM.
    Do it with what you got and you want need what you don't have

Holly Molly I just look up the price on that little gun I used as a kid for hunting deer. Man Oh man did the price go up !?!?! , 35 years ago we got that little gun for under $100
    Last edited by Smok; 05-04-2009 at 04:39 PM.
    Do it with what you got and you want need what you don't have

A 20ga single shot shotgun with assorted shot in a shell belt.

In Guns and amo???
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,
    with hard work and deligence I still have most of it
    this week a lot less...must be a hole in my pocket

Quote Originally Posted by Smok View Post
    What ever happened to the M1 carbine ? Nice little gun
    The M1 Carbine is a great little gun, they just got really expensive. I have an M1A1 but its too pricey to use in this role anymore.

My picks for trunk guns: used 18 inch 12 ga pump, Mosin Nagant M-44, Model 94 .30-30, Rossi 1892 in .357 magnm, SKS. Mac
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

My actual trunk gun is exactly the same as my primary M4 2 is 1, 1 is none!
    Having said that, you cant go wrong with a lever action.

A lever action 30-30 or a single shot 12 ga is nice in this role. 12ga is nice for any game that comes across your path. 30-30 will work for larger game, or the 2 legged kind. Neither will scare the sheeple as much as a "military style" rifle might.
    Most times mine is my little H&R 12ga survivor. I have a .223 that would I could use, but this just makes more sense for me. The nice thing is, I can break it down and put it in a small duffle bag or pack (if needed).
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

I have several M-1 carbines. they are a lot of fun, although ammo is getting expensive for them and you are limited to ball ammo or a really crappy soft point. That's why I reload the .30 cal 90 grain XTP bullet from Horady is great in this round. I am trying to turn one of my carbines into a bullpup (that will make it shorter and handier)
    I know what hunts you.

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    I have several M-1 carbines. they are a lot of fun, although ammo is getting expensive for them and you are limited to ball ammo or a really crappy soft point. That's why I reload the .30 cal 90 grain XTP bullet from Horady is great in this round. I am trying to turn one of my carbines into a bullpup (that will make it shorter and handier)
    I have an underfold stock on one of mine. Helps to make it nice and compact. To bad ammo and brass are so hard to find at the moment.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

"...you are limited to ball ammo or a really crappy soft point." - Sarky

Your load sounds very effective, but I wouldn't sneeze at .30 M1 soft point, it has a very good reputation in close range fights. Out past 200 yards it starts to act like ball. Mac
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I got what you were saying - all of my vehicles are work trucks and I prefer not to store in them. Space is kind of limited for me at least. Now when I travel, that's a different story.
    with all of the goodies on your truck you dont need a gun,just a spray tank and some wasp spray!!!!
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

Quote Originally Posted by erunkiswldrnssurvival View Post
    with all of the goodies on your truck you dont need a gun,just a spray tank and some wasp spray!!!!
    Well that's true - but just like with a knife, never bring a can of bug spray to a gun fight.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

This thread should be in the "Guns and Ammo" section.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!