Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canned Bacon is Back!!!

Default Canned Bacon is Back!!!

Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Thank You ....Rick ....Its Not...Happy Days are Here Again
    Do it with what you got and you want need what you don't have

Glory be!!!! Now I know there is hope for mankind
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Take only what you need, and leave the rest.

Just so you know. I ordered a can. I'll let you know how it tastes.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Just so you know. I ordered a can. I'll let you know how it tastes.
    I'm curious...

The website said this stuff has a 2-10 year shelf life, at, if I'm not misreading it, 1 can, 50 slices, for ~$14. The salt cured smoked bacon Beo posted about a year ago goes for $4/lb, with no refrigeration necessary.

http://www.turkeyfootllc.com/driededibles.html

Seems a lot cheaper, but not as viable for a food storage program as the canned bacon, unless the shelf life is at least the same.

Anyone know what the shelf life of the salt cured smoked bacon is?
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

Seems to me the ready to microwave, precooked, bacon at my local grocery is a much better option. Canned bacon is way expensive for what you get. I could buy two MREs for what one can would cost.
    But, I do love my bacon. Gonna have to order a can, just for research ya know....
    You are your dog's best friend....

Blog Entries

I've tried it. A bit greasier than the old variety from Denmark, but it's still bacon!
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine_Sapper View Post
    Anyone know what the shelf life of the salt cured smoked bacon is?
    About one week in my house.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

I( can make it myself. I've made my own SPAM and spamlike canned meat with wild boar, bear and venison. Grind the meat mix it with spices pack it into canning jars with 3/4 to an inch of free space and pressure cooker can.
    bacon would be fry it; place drained cooked bacon on wax paper; layer completed sheets, roll several up together place in canning jar and use hot water bath canning method. Bt the way, self life of canned goods is not 2 - 5 years as most put on labels, canned goods from the 1920s and 1950s have been discovered in peoples basements and have tested perfectly safe to eat. After 50 years they do lose some of their color and a mite of their flavor but just a small percentage of their nutritional value. I had a long spell of unemployment and had to use up my larder to feed myself. I did that before dumpster diving this past Fall. This year I am rebuilding the larder and root cellar.

Spam like meat? That's a bit out there even for me. I mean, spam is like meat so spam like meat. Whoa. Gives me cold chills just thinkin' about it.

Out of curiosity, how was your larder constucted?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I wanted to follow up and provide you with a Quality Assurance review. I'll be handling the review because the QC department is on vacation this week.

First, the canned bacon arrived as scheduled. Total cost was $11.95 + $7.60 shipping for a total of $19.55. While that sounds high, consider you will pay around $4.00 per package for bacon at the store and have about 15 slices. MRE Depot advertises the canned bacon is between 40-50 slices. Let's say 45 for an average. At $11.95 a can, that comes out to $3.76 for 15 slices about the same you pay at the store. Even with shipping included, you still pay $4.34 for 15 slices. I assume if you buy more than one can you will improve your margin on shipping. A case sales for $119.95. Any way you slice it (that's a pun) 540 slices of bacon is a little bit of heaven. (12 cans X 45 slices per can).

The bacon is fully cooked, placed on paper, rolled up and inserted in the can. If you've ever bought canned bacon you know the drill. It's greasy when you open it. I used a dinner knife to insert along the side between the bacon and the can and wringed the knife around the bacon to remove it from the can. Once removed and unrolled it looked just like....bacon.

I've had more flavorful bacon but it certainly wasn't bad. It had a very mild bacon flavor. It was sliced very thin and very lean. I sliced two pieces of home made bread, laid on the bacon with a side of home made pickles. Okay, I actually had two sandwiches. Mmmm Mmmm good.

Final analysis. It was good. I expected it to be salty but it wasn't. A nice product with a good, albeit mild, bacon flavor. And no unpleasant after tastes. I think I'll pick up a case to have on hand just in case some emergency comes along ... like a bacon craving or something less serious. It would be a great take along for camping if you can use 40-50 slices or as part of your survival food preps. You do have to refrigerate it after you open it.

Hopefully our QC department will be back from vacation in time for the next assurance review.
    Last edited by Rick; 05-09-2009 at 04:18 PM.

Alpine- Cured salt pork will last quite a while (exactly how long I don't know, it never stays around that long when I have it), however it will eventually begin to grow mold on it. The nice thing is that you can usually just cut off the moldy bits and still eat the good part. The main enemy of salt pork is moisture. It has to stay very very dry or it will mold very quickly.
    "When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead; Only then will you have done your share." -Phil Messina

If you kill the hog and salt and smoke the pork in the fall, the bacon will last into the summer and will begin to taste old about then. The hams will last for a few years. I don't know why. Other parts not as long as the bacon, but they aren't usually smoked, just salted.

"It's Like Bacon wrapped in lube!"

http://www.avclub.com/articles/taste...search_results
    "Evil triumphs when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke [1729-1797]

What a couple of Bozos. It's called bacon grease you nimrods. If you cooked any bacon and grabbed a heaping handful out of the pan guess what you'd get....greasy hands! I'm going back to the cave. Someone call me when humanity smartens up. On second thought, call me when some other life form out evolves us.

Quote Originally Posted by tacmedic View Post
    Alpine- Cured salt pork will last quite a while (exactly how long I don't know, it never stays around that long when I have it), however it will eventually begin to grow mold on it. The nice thing is that you can usually just cut off the moldy bits and still eat the good part. The main enemy of salt pork is moisture. It has to stay very very dry or it will mold very quickly.
    Muchas gracias.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

I'm guessing that the grease accomplishes two things. The grease keeps the bacon from shifting and breaking in transit and also helps preserve the bacon like a Confit.

From Wickipedia:

Confit (French) is a generic term for various kinds of food that have been immersed in a substance (usually rendered fat from the meat preparation) for both flavor and preservation. Sealed and stored in a cool place, confit can last for several months. Confit is one of the oldest ways to preserve food[citation needed], and is a speciality of southwestern France.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Bacon wrapped in lube may not be the best advertising slogan, but it is certainly good for a laugh. Now that the bacon is back, I just need the canned cheese and butter! I have seen some good prices on ebay, but still think there are better prices out there.
    "advertising has us chasing clothes and cars, working jobs we hate to buy stuff we don't need..." Tyler Durden

http://www.lifeunplugged.net