Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Choosing a Survival Knife

Default Choosing a Survival Knife

I know that most people carry more than one knife with them whenever they take to the woods, I know that I do. But, whenever you are choosing a survival knife, what features do you look for in a knife?
    Take only what you need, and leave the rest.

I'm a simple man. If it cuts, I'm happy.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I Look For Brand, Blade Type And How It Feels In My Hand.
    "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived."

-George Patton

Banned

I personally like one BIG knife and one smaller knife. In a pinch a BIG knife can do what a small knife can but NOT the other way around so if left with one I'd choose something like a 12" machete or kukri.

Actually, a small knife can do exactly what a big knife does...just on a smaller scale. Just sayin'....
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

A big knife can cut the dead fall up and split it all for fuel a small knife can take off the branches and maybe split them for kindling. just saying......

i would make sure that the tang goes through the handle(full tang). i would also want the steel to be a decent steel.
    how dare i call this love and not bare my cross

Bear Clan

Decent steel is dependent upon the use and environment of the knife...carbon or stainless?

I just make sure it's one that I've got in my knife drawer.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

You keep knives in your drawers?!

Just gotta be careful where and how I sit.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Well I'd reckon. Slice and dice could take on new meaning in short order (Get it slice and dice? Short?) I slay myself.

If I could only have one knife, it would be the old USMC Kabar.
    My brother bought one after he left the Army. He modified it slightly by shaving the handles flat on the sides and moving the retaining strap down to the hilt and basically turning it into a thumb break.
    Gave it to me for my birthday one year. Carried it for a looooonnngggggggg time, in various nasty places around the globe. When I retired it stayed close to hand.
    When my son joined the Army and was heading overseas, I passed it on to him. Recently it's been in Afganistan, Irag and currently resides in Germany.
    Great knife, has held up well for many years in many different environments.
    If I couldn't get my hands on a Kabar, the USAF survival (aircrew) knife would be my second choice. Have had one in my kit for close to 40 years now. Another keeper. Gonna have to go shopping for more soon, grandkids will be needing blades of there own before long.
    You are your dog's best friend....

I own a few knives, but my hands down favorite is my Becker BK-2. It has a 1/4" blade and I can use it to pry, chop, slice, skin game, batoning wood, and a host of other camp chores.
    The blade has a drop point and is 5 inches long, and it also sharpens easily. The grip is very comfortable and it is balanced real well also. It can handle any chore that I throw at it. It has never let me down.

Apparently you want a survival knife not a general camping knife. By survival, chances are that you will need a tool that will function in both the woods and an urban area (an urban area in chaos). My choice is the Gerber LMF !!.

http://www.gerber-tools.com/Gerber-LMF-II-22-01629.htm

It is designed as a survival knife with a partially serrated blade that can cut through straps and belts, has a punch on the end that will smash through plexiglass and glass, it can be used as a hammer, and with the holes in handle and the shape of the handle it can be used as a spear. Finally, the sheath has an intergrated sharpener that works very well. Generally, I am not a fan of serrations and wish that it did not have them but there is no doubt that in a survival situation they may come in handy. It is the knife I use for camping and it sits in my survival bag. I believe that it was designed by the Air Force to be their survival knife.

I couldn't agree wth you more acestor, because I also own a LMF II and I like it real well also. But between it and the Becker BK-2, I like the Becker a little more.

personally i would go for about a 6" blade 3-5mm thick steel, drop point and a straight grind no hollow grinds, forget about 440 stainless and all that, just get a good steel,
    next without a dought get one with a full tang These are the strongest make sure balance and grip suit you, also make sure you can sharpen it ok a lot of people buy knives and never learn to sharpen them propley.
    another thing people do is buy a knife on what it looks like this is a secondary importance as i have a skinning knife that i hated when i first saw it but picked it up and it felt fine i use it regular and it really is a good knife but i still dont like the look of it. hope this helps

I'm still trying to decide on a fixed blade. The woman is buying me a knife for my birthday. By god for all the crap she puts me through I will get my money's worth out of that knife

I can't decide between this Ka Bar,
    https://www.kabar.com/product_detail...arch%20Results

Or this Ontario knife,
    http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce...fault&SKU=SP13

I prefer the robustness of the Ka Bar blade, but the Ontario feels so good in my hand. I can't decide which one...
    Surviving the Fellini Kroger since 1993

Since you have been traumatized by the stuff you have been put through, maybe you could convince her to get you both.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The blade I use the most is a Gerber 4" fixed blade
    A mouse ate a hole in my lumpy chair.