Thread: Tactical shelters

Default Tactical shelters

Found this today;

http://www.imsplus.com/universal-imp...lter-ics-.html

There are some cheaper "tactical" bivy's here as well;

http://www.catomaoutdoor.com/store/C...ookieSupport=1
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

I do business with IMS-PLUS all the time. They are a pretty good outfit. Quick shippers and easy to deal with.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Looks awesome like the style
    sh4d0wm4573ri7

I noticed one of the tents was listed as "lightweight" at 7.5 pounds. (chuckle).
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I noticed one of the tents was listed as "lightweight" at 7.5 pounds. (chuckle).
    lol. Wonder if they are comparing it to the original 2 man shelter system? The one where you each got a tent pole and half of canvas shelter that snapped together? That thing weighed a ton for a 2 man tent.

Looking at that site futher netted me a wishlist <$1000. I can see why you do business with them frequently.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

They do have some good prices. I'd hate to guess how much I've spent with them over the years but quite a bit.

Default Catoma bednet

I've looked at those. I thought they were pretty neat. But at 2 lbs. they weigh in near a complete tent.

Blog Entries

Black Diamond HiLight 2 Tent Specs:

3 Season Freestanding tent
    Sleeping Capacity: 2
    Average Packaged Weight: 3 lbs. 2 oz.
    Packed Size: 6 x 9 inches
    Floor Dimensions: 82 x 50 inches
    Peak Height: 40 inches
    Floor Fabric: Silicone-coated Nylon Ripstop

http://www.rei.com/product/748586
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Default shelters

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I've looked at those. I thought they were pretty neat. But at 2 lbs. they weigh in near a complete tent.
    And what do you prefer?

too much money for that.
    why call it "tactical shelter"?
    a fool and his money part soon.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stony View Post
    too much money for that.
    So what you're telling us, Stony, is that you're flat broke, right?
    Last edited by Ken; 08-09-2009 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Added Stony's name - just to make things clear enough so he'd know I was referring to him. (That boy's a little "slow.")
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Default Tactical shelters?

Quote Originally Posted by Stony View Post
    too much money for that.
    I'm not sure who your statement is directed towards, let's assume it's me. I paid $30 each for the Catoma's($100-avg is reasonable for this type of shelter), and it's military issue. I've used them both "on and off the clock". For someone to state negativity towards this thing is ignorant, in this case meaning someone OBVIOUSLY hasn't tried what they are denouncing, and has no idea of what they're talking about. With all due respect to those who use these forums to pass on(share) valuable info and not just waste time, like criticizing without presenting a valid retort.

If this "tent", "bednet", "tactical bivy"(or whatever anyone chooses to call it) is not one of the best "tactical shelters" out there, let's hear why(experience only, see above quote), and give us your preferred setup.

*Tactical: "Designed or implemented so as to gain a temporary limited advantage". Hmm, let's see...
    1) *** No assembly required. Take the strap off and pow, fiberglass rod expands instantly to give and hold shape.
    2) **it's fully protected from little critters, netting is also impregnated with permethrin
    3)**protection from ground water, constructed of 70D 1.9 oz ripstop nylon(1200 mm waterproofing)
    4)**entry on both sides
    5)*Loops for ridgeline and/or stability
    6)***this one piece replaces many to do same function.
    8)**Can also be used as a fast access medical shelter
    7)**Flame retardant (CPAI-84)
    9)*Pack size: 13" x 3"
    *Tactical advantage met?
    Comparable setup below.

'Ground' "tactical" shelter,(as conditions dictate), Dry: issue poncho(1.25lbs)(or thin H20 proof poncho), or 6x8 camo tarp(8oz.) + either issue "skeeta tent"(14oz) or equivalent, or bug netting such as "the pest net"(7oz.). Wet: addition of issue gore-tex bivy. For a grand total of approx 7oz(ultralight) to 2 lbs(moderate). My preferred 'sak' is a Snugpak Merlin 3, my pad is a Thermarest Prolite4, and i don't leave home w/out my issue survival blanket.
    Hammocking(tree's or not) is my preferred choice above all, and for me the most comfortable.
    Last edited by locorogue; 08-11-2009 at 07:39 PM. Reason: forgot something

Blog Entries

Loco, looks like you've made a good choice.

BTW - the only person impressed by any of Stony's posts is Stony.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Hey Loco, what hammock do you use?

I love hammocking. Mine is a homemade one though.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Default hammock

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    Hey Loco, what hammock do you use?

I love hammocking. Mine is a homemade one though.
    I use an ENO single-nest primarily, their bug net is(in my opinion)the best hammock netting out there, fantastic combo. ENO is approx $50, but one can obviously find better deals. That being said, there are other fantastic brands out there, the problem is, high priced, and over-rated. If you haven't researched yet, you'll soon find out.
    Your home made hammock is probably fantastic and all you'll probably ever need(i've made a few as well). If thats the case, and you only need a good bug net, check out ENO's(unless you've made one already

Cool to cold weather: If you're interested in ways to insulate your hammock without losing your savings, let me know. i've actually been in -20deg(windchill) with one of my setups. As i tinker and/or create alternatives, so it goes with hammocking as well(non-slip air mattress, etc) I love uniqueness, and some of my hammock ideas are just that.

I have a bug net already, and I didn't even sew it. Basically took a military cot bug net, and cut to small holes on either end to run the hammock suspension through. $15. It seems to cover the same way the ENO does. Anyways, I have researched a little at some pretty cool ones..Hennessy, Clark, Blackbird..etc. All very expensive. I think I am still under $25 with mine. But, I use a big blue tarp, and I need a much lighter one. That will add to the cost. I have hope that I can keep the cost under $50 though. Also, I read Hammockforums.com every so often for good ideas.

Default hammocking

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    I have a bug net already, and I didn't even sew it. Basically took a military cot bug net, and cut to small holes on either end to run the hammock suspension through. $15. It seems to cover the same way the ENO does. Anyways, I have researched a little at some pretty cool ones..Hennessy, Clark, Blackbird..etc. All very expensive. I think I am still under $25 with mine. But, I use a big blue tarp, and I need a much lighter one. That will add to the cost. I have hope that I can keep the cost under $50 though. Also, I read Hammockforums.com every so often for good ideas.
    I agree with everything you've said. I actually am a frugal(meaning i know there's quality stuff out there if i'm willing to look harder and patience) kinda guy, and would rather make my own gear, i just got the ENO's for a 'steal', part of the deal was the bugnet had to go with. But compared to the other brands you stated, HH, etc, my setup is still incredibly inexpensive, actually at approx. $50 for everything(hammock, net, tree straps, tarp). With all due respect to the people who buy HH, etc, i personally think it's more of a status thing, because you can obviously get equal, if not better hammocks for alot less. I have an old parachute that i'm going to make into a couple hammocks. The 'hammockforums.net' is a nice forum, however, i'm leaning towards the idea that it's more of a yuppie site, as i think most forums are, with all due respect to this site of course.
    Last edited by locorogue; 08-16-2009 at 01:21 AM. Reason: addition

The yuppie part is due to the whole computer thing. You need a computer to participate in any forum. So, if you look at the population that has a computer, a large part will be yuppies.

Quote Originally Posted by Loco
    And what do you prefer?
    I really don't have a preference, I guess. As I said, I think they are pretty neat. In the context of the thread, they are better than anything I carry. My Marmot is bright orange and yellow. Super easy to conceal in a huge bed of wildflowers.