Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello from New Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Not quite...read on! Just about everybody on here was trying to talk some sense into them, all to no avail! You know what cracks me up the most? Newbies to the outdoors come on here asking about "Survival Kits" & what kind of knife should they get. You just shot down the whole thing! Not just that, but you are right about PANIC! So I gotta ask...in retrospect, if you had it happen all over again, knowing what you know now, what would you do differently?

Hmm, in retrospect what would I do differntly? Hard to really say, cuz I survived. I would probably have been more careful around the brush and with the slate cliff I slid down to minimize the cuts. Thing is, I didn't really notice how cut up I was until I got to the hospital. I would also have started drinking water sooner. It took me a while to realize I was dehydrating. I sucked some rain off leaves in the beginning, but didn't drink the river water or runoff water. Eventually I started drinking water from the runoff. OH, and I wouldn't have lost the sapphire and diamond ring my grandmother gave me.

You know, once you are in that situation, it is hard to know what you would do. Even for those of you with training, with preparedness, it is hard to know how you would react. I get a lot of people telling me they would die. Why? Why would a person give up? Why not just keep breathing and living, hoping for the best outcome?

Oh, and I would have ditched the cotton clothing even earlier.

OH, i flipped through the posts on those two bozos. It looks they lasted 13 days? And it was planned. Hmm. I just don't know what gets into people's heads.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy
    You know, once you are in that situation, it is hard to know what you would do. Even for those of you with training, with preparedness, it is hard to know how you would react.
    I think you are 100% correct.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmm.....

Quote Originally Posted by amy headrick View Post
    Hmm, in retrospect what would I do differntly? Hard to really say, cuz I survived. I would probably have been more careful around the brush and with the slate cliff I slid down to minimize the cuts. Thing is, I didn't really notice how cut up I was until I got to the hospital. I would also have started drinking water sooner. It took me a while to realize I was dehydrating. I sucked some rain off leaves in the beginning, but didn't drink the river water or runoff water. Eventually I started drinking water from the runoff. OH, and I wouldn't have lost the sapphire and diamond ring my grandmother gave me.

You know, once you are in that situation, it is hard to know what you would do. Even for those of you with training, with preparedness, it is hard to know how you would react. I get a lot of people telling me they would die. Why? Why would a person give up? Why not just keep breathing and living, hoping for the best outcome?

Oh, and I would have ditched the cotton clothing even earlier.
    Bear with me here as I always look for a "lesson learned" that hopefully can be passed on to the less experienced. I missed the part where you left your car, why did you do that? Wouldn't that have been the best place to stay? Do you wear different clothing now when you go hiking? Any type of bag of things for emergencies? Do you see where I'm going with this. If I ask too many questions just tell me to shut up, I'm married, I can take it!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Ask away, I don't mind at all.

I left my car prior to getting lost. I slept in it one night, and the next morning started walking toward the main road. Some tourists from Minnesota gave me a ride to the main road, but were heading south. I started walking toward Anchorage, but couldn't find another ride or a state trooper. I made it about 5 miles, and decided it would be best to go back to the car. The way I got lost was by taking what I thought was a shortcut to the car. Stupid, really, but hey, I wasn't thinking that clearly in the moment. I was way too tired.

If I plan on going hiking, I try to normally wear non cotten clothing. Although here in NM, rain isn't that much of a problem. My clothes were a problem then, because I hadn't planned on being outdoors.

I typically carry water with me. You know the movie cast away? At the end, when he takes the package back to the lady in Texas, they show a shot of his front seat with all kinds of water bottles. That's me. Other than that, believe it or not, I don't carry a lot. I do have a car cell phone charger now. That was part of the problem.

If I go for any extended hikes, I take a few extra things. Extra socks, a jacket, etc. I have grown up a little and have 3 small kids now, so going out doesn't happen as much. I try to learn a lot about the area where I'll be.

The best thing you can have with you, and I think Rick said it early, or maybe you Sarge, is your wits and your brain. I had also been studying bears, due to hiking, so I sort of thought like a bear while I was out there. It might not make sense, but it seemed to help.

We have another saying on the forum. It's Crash's but I steal it all the time. "If it works for you, then it works for me." If thinking like a bear kept you alive then who am I to say it's silly?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Amy, this may sound strange, but were you fearful of grizzly bears, black bears, wolves..??? How did you sleep at night, did you sleep the first nights....? the nights are very short that time of year, Did you nap during the day....????

Yeah. It may not have helped, but it seemed to at the time. Each time I got cold and wanted to try to sleep (that was by far the scariest part), I thought, what would a bear use? Probably stupid to think a bear would build itself a leaf blanket, but it made sense at the time.

I entertained myself with stupid jokes. Want to hear one? You know why a llama spits? Because he's thirsty.

Then there was the day I couldn't stop speaking like Dr. Suess. Anything to keep me occupied.

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmm.....

Ask away, I don't mind at all.

I left my car prior to getting lost. I slept in it one night, and the next morning started walking toward the main road. Some tourists from Minnesota gave me a ride to the main road, but were heading south. I started walking toward Anchorage, but couldn't find another ride or a state trooper. I made it about 5 miles, and decided it would be best to go back to the car. The way I got lost was by taking what I thought was a shortcut to the car. Stupid, really, but hey, I wasn't thinking that clearly in the moment. I was way too tired.

If I plan on going hiking, I try to normally wear non cotten clothing. Although here in NM, rain isn't that much of a problem. My clothes were a problem then, because I hadn't planned on being outdoors.

I typically carry water with me. You know the movie cast away? At the end, when he takes the package back to the lady in Texas, they show a shot of his front seat with all kinds of water bottles. That's me. Other than that, believe it or not, I don't carry a lot. I do have a car cell phone charger now. That was part of the problem.

If I go for any extended hikes, I take a few extra things. Extra socks, a jacket, etc. I have grown up a little and have 3 small kids now, so going out doesn't happen as much. I try to learn a lot about the area where I'll be.

The best thing you can have with you, and I think Rick said it early, or maybe you Sarge, is your wits and your brain. I had also been studying bears, due to hiking, so I sort of thought like a bear while I was out there. It might not make sense, but it seemed to help.
    I believe Rick said it, although many of us on here adhere to that principle. Also, check out my blog from the J. Wayne Fears book about panic, & using your wits! The 1st mistake that I see that you made was leaving your car. It's a shelter from the elements & being on a road will be spotted a lot easier. You can also stock important items in the trunk to help keep you safe. What do you think?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Well then, just to bring back some memories...

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Sarge, not leaving my car would have avoided the whole thing, yes. Problem was, I had no clue how I would get back to Anchorage from the Hope cutoff. I had no idea if people lived down that way or not (do now), so I figured the Seward Hwy would be a better choice. I got a ride so fast from the Minnesotans, that I figured it would be a piece of cake. But, when it didn't work, yes, I figured the car was the best place for me, which is why I headed back!

Crash, thanks for the memories. I actually ended up irritating the crap out of myself with it. I couldn't stop. Everything that came out of my mouth rhymed. And pretty much one syllable. . .crazy what happens in your head with nothing to do all day but survive!

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmm...Sarky?

Crash, thanks for the memories. I actually ended up irritating the crap out of myself with it. I couldn't stop. Everything that came out of my mouth rhymed. And pretty much one syllable. . .crazy what happens in your head with nothing to do all day but survive!
    Well, tht just shot down the Newbies/Numpties idea that survival is (Syrupy-sweet high-pitched voice) FUN!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Banned
    Blog Entries

What were you doing on the Hope Road, what brought you to that location???
    From the Hope Cut-off it is 16.2 miles into the town of Hope, Alaska. The town of Sunrise, Alaska is at mile 7.3 to mile 8.3 and You ran out of fuel at mile post 11. Why did you not come to one of the houses here in Sunrise, Alaska. We all have 500 gallon or 1,000 gallon tanks of fuel.....???? We might not have helped if we knew you was one of those Attorney type people, but you would not have needed to disclose that info.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 04-30-2009 at 08:36 PM.

Blog Entries

Cool Amy...

The 1st thing I teach anybody is the ancronym: S.T.O.P.. Here's what it means: Sit
    Think
    Observe
    Plan

I think you can figure this out now better than most of us on this forum. We are so blessed that you have joined us as you have the voice of both reason & experience. I even will bet you're teaching your kids some good stuff!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Well, that Dr. Seuss can be pretty smart. Here are some quotes.

Dr. Seuss Quotes #1 You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose.

Dr. Seuss Quotes #2 Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you.

Dr. Seuss Quotes #3 From there to here, and here to there, funny things are everywhere.

Dr. Seuss Quotes #4 Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.

Dr. Seuss Quotes #5 Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So... get on your way.

Dr. Seuss Quotes #6 If you never did, you should. These things are fun, and fun is good.

Dr. Seuss Quotes #7 I meant what I said, and I said what I meant. An elephant's faithful, one hundred percent.

Dr. Seuss Quotes #8 So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.

Dr. Seuss Quotes #9 And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed.

Dr. Seuss Quotes #10 Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Cool Uh, Amy...

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    From the Hope Cut-off it is 16.2 miles into the town of Hope, Alaska. The town of Sunrise, Alaska is at mile 7.3 to mile 8.3 and You ran out of fuel at mile post 11. Why did you not come to one of the houses here in Sunrise, Alaska. We all have 500 gallon or 1,000 gallon tanks of fuel.....???? We might not have helped if we knew you was one of those Attorney type people, but you would not have needed to disclose that info.
    Did we mention that Hopeak is single? (snicker, snicker. Oooooh, I'm a baaad boy!)
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    I didn't know any of that. I turned down the cutoff because I saw the little gas sign. I didn't know the station was closed, and I ran out of gas before I got there, anyway. I probably should have started walking toward Hope, instead of back the highway.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    The 1st thing I teach anybody is the ancronym: S.T.O.P.. Here's what it means: Sit
    Think
    Observe
    Plan

I think you can figure this out now better than most of us on this forum. We are so blessed that you have joined us as you have the voice of both reason & experience. I even will bet you're teaching your kids some good stuff!
    You are kind. And when I realized I was lost, that is pretty much what I did. I had a few words with God when it started raining. I mean it was my fault I got lost, but heck, the rain was unecessary! I napped quickly and when I woke, I sat for a long while, thought about what to do, watched an artic ground squirrel play (little guy seemed more amused by me), and then tried to make whatever plan I could.

Welcome Amy. What part of NM. I lived there for 35 yrs, before moving back to TX.