Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello from New Mexico

I hear New Mexico's a pretty big place with a lot of really wonderful wilderness areas. Be careful! A person could get lost...um, never mind, welcome aboard! Glad to have you here.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Right on!

Quote Originally Posted by amy headrick View Post
    To those who think wilderness survival is an extreme sport, they are nuts. It is not a game, nor should it be. It should not be a television event, real or fake. I hate the show survivor, and I hate that they make it look like a game. It is life and death. Normally, it is death.
    Okay Newbies, Numpties, & TBWN; this is the "real deal"!!!!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool Weellll....

Yep, exactly. However, those 3 days are completely wasted. I think a lot of people would survive events if the authorities acted faster. In my case, they did actually start before the 3 days were up. One of the partners at my law firm had connections in the state troopers office and got things going. However, after 3 days, they pretty much abandoned the search. Officially. There were lots of people, hopeak included, who looked for me. My family kept it alive.

And lots of supposed witnesses came forward. I was sighted all over the state. I have copies of the police reports and their notes. Crazy stuff.
    They would have looked a lot harder & longer if they thought that you were "Big-Foot!"
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Yep, exactly. However, those 3 days are completely wasted. I think a lot of people would survive events if the authorities acted faster. In my case, they did actually start before the 3 days were up. One of the partners at my law firm had connections in the state troopers office and got things going. However, after 3 days, they pretty much abandoned the search. Officially. There were lots of people, hopeak included, who looked for me. My family kept it alive.

And lots of supposed witnesses came forward. I was sighted all over the state. I have copies of the police reports and their notes. Crazy stuff.
    This may not have applied in your case, but this points to why most here preach about notifying somebody responsible exactly when you will be back with a deadline that they should notify somebody if you are past due. That may have all happened. If it did and nobody took action that is wrong. But this is your introduction and welcome thread - conversation for another time I suppose.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    They would have looked a lot harder & longer if they thought that you were "Big-Foot!"
    (Scribbling madly....cover self with fur in case I'm ever lost in bush....will send rescuers that way))) thanks Sarge! That's like...Zen!
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    I hear New Mexico's a pretty big place with a lot of really wonderful wilderness areas. Be careful! A person could get lost...um, never mind, welcome aboard! Glad to have you here.
    ha ha ha ha

NM is beautiful. I hike, haven't been lost yet, though.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    This may not have applied in your case, but this points to why most here preach about notifying somebody responsible exactly when you will be back with a deadline that they should notify somebody if you are past due. That may have all happened. If it did and nobody took action that is wrong. But this is your introduction and welcome thread - conversation for another time I suppose.
    Had i known i would be in the woods, i would have notified someone about my plans. My plans didn't include a trip into the wilderness. It just happened.

I understand. For me at least, it's not just when heading out into the wilderness. When I travel I follow the same practice of notification. Pre-arranged time frames where I will be calling etc.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

And that is actually what i did. That is how my boyfriend at the time knew something had happened. But the APD didn't want to file a report for 3 days anyway.

Welcome to the forum!! Glad you made it out safe.
    Turtle Clan/Coffee Addicts Anonymous

That's the "just wrong" part that I meant. Again, thanks for sharing your experience with all of us - I'm sure most here appreciate it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yep, I hear you. It is just wrong. And the APD still acts that way. Really disturbing, if you ask me.

Blog Entries

Cool Yo, Amy...

Click on this & start at post #11; it's a long read, but it will freak you out!

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...read.php?t=378

Remember, these guys PLANNED this!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Stupid is as stupid does. I am still reading. did they actually do it?

I'm really impressed that you bothered to come on here and share your story with us. I don't know you other than what you've posted here but you seem to have a clear head on your shoulders. One of the things we talk about on the forum, mostly to the younger and less experienced folks, is that the best tool you can take to the wilderness is your brain. That and the need to control your thoughts and not panic. I think you've supported those concepts very well. Your actions prove that given the right circumstances, environment and luck you can survive by keeping a cool head.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Rick, when people asked me how I survived, the first response is "I never panicked." That will kill you fast.

Thanks for the kind words.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Amy, What was your condition when you were found....? How long were you in the hospital......? Had you passed over being hungry like people who fast say after so many days with no food, it becomes no big deal........?

Blog Entries

Cool Uh, well....

Stupid is as stupid does. I am still reading. did they actually do it?
    Not quite...read on! Just about everybody on here was trying to talk some sense into them, all to no avail! You know what cracks me up the most? Newbies to the outdoors come on here asking about "Survival Kits" & what kind of knife should they get. You just shot down the whole thing! Not just that, but you are right about PANIC! So I gotta ask...in retrospect, if you had it happen all over again, knowing what you know now, what would you do differently?
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I'm really impressed that you bothered to come on here and share your story with us. I don't know you other than what you've posted here but you seem to have a clear head on your shoulders. One of the things we talk about on the forum, mostly to the younger and less experienced folks, is that the best tool you can take to the wilderness is your brain. That and the need to control your thoughts and not panic. I think you've supported those concepts very well. Your actions prove that given the right circumstances, environment and luck you can survive by keeping a cool head.
    Like Rick says!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

I was in the hospital for 3 days, but my overall condition was pretty good. The worst were all the cuts on my lower body due to my naked bushwhacking. I could have gotten out after a day, probably. my temp was good, bp good, etc. They still performed all the tests. You know what they gave me to eat first thing? A turkey sanwhich. On a LARGE roll. Nothing like having limited water for 12 days and being given a sandwich. I guess it was better than the nutrigrain bar the rescuers gave me!

Yes, I did pass over hungry. Actually, I never really thought that much about food. Except blueberries. I really wanted some blueberries. One day I craved a pizza, and one day I craved butterscotch, but that was it. I had actually been anorexic in high school, so I was pretty sure I could live without food for a while.