Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello from New Mexico

Default Hello from New Mexico

I posted on a thread about me, and it was suggested I post here and introduce myself.

I am amy McClish, but I was Amy Headrick, a lost lawyer up in Alaska almost 10 years ago. I was in the woods for 12 days before two miners found me. No skills, no training no equipment. I had instincts, good luck and lack of any panic.

Hi Amy, and welcome to the forum.

Hello and welcome. Looking forward to your perspective on things.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Welcome home.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Welcome to the forum!
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Thanks all. I am a little taken aback by this. Not everyday you fall onto websites that are discussing your own life!

Amy - sadly there is a website that talks about many here. http://www.hostesscakes.com/cupcakes.asp
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum.

thanks hopeak. You aren't from Hope, Alaska are you? And how did you come across my story originally? You have iggnited my curiousity.

Blog Entries

Cool Hi Amy!

Glad to have you on board! For the sake of some folks that seem to think that survival is the latest "Extreme sport", Might I be so bold to ask what you, someone who has gone through it, your opinion on that philosophy?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by amy headrick View Post
    thanks hopeak. You aren't from Hope, Alaska are you? And how did you come across my story originally? You have iggnited my curiousity.
    I helped look for you........Yes I live in lovely Sunrise, Alaska. Which is about half way in to Hope, Alaska on the Hope Road. I've more or less been in this area for 40 years.

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    I helped look for you........Yes I live in lovely Sunrise, Alaska. Which is about half way in to Hope, Alaska on the Hope Road. I've more or less been in this area for 40 years.
    Wow. Thanks for pitching in! There is a family here in NM who have started a foundation to help families of missing adults. Their son died at Wolf Creek ski area a little over a year ago.

To those who think wilderness survival is an extreme sport, they are nuts. It is not a game, nor should it be. It should not be a television event, real or fake. I hate the show survivor, and I hate that they make it look like a game. It is life and death. Normally, it is death. I hate that search and rescue is not performed very well, but I love the people who do it.

this would probably be a good topic starter. Afterall, I am sure we all have various degrees of incentive.

I hate that search and rescue is not performed very well, ...
    Ouch. Hey, we do what we can man. If the average citizen would think before heading off half cocked and under prepared a SAR tech's job would be SOOOO much easier.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

Not what I meant. Sorry that sounded so harsh. I meant by the police. When I didn't come home, the Anchorage PD wouldn't file a missing persons report for 3 days. Not a crime to be a missing adult and all. Thank goodness for the troopers taking it seriously.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Not what I meant. Sorry that sounded so harsh. I meant by the police. When I didn't come home, the Anchorage PD wouldn't file a missing persons report for 3 days. Not a crime to be a missing adult and all. Thank goodness for the troopers taking it seriously.

Plus they thought your boyfriend had something to do with it. And there is still part of the story you are not telling.

And what part is that? There was a lot of misinformation floating around while I was missing. I would love to tell you the details, but you got to let me know what part you think is missing?

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

welcome to the forum, I was lost in the woods for 3 days one time years ago, what you said is right, they wont budge for 3 days, if you are gone longer than that then they will look for you.
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

Yep, exactly. However, those 3 days are completely wasted. I think a lot of people would survive events if the authorities acted faster. In my case, they did actually start before the 3 days were up. One of the partners at my law firm had connections in the state troopers office and got things going. However, after 3 days, they pretty much abandoned the search. Officially. There were lots of people, hopeak included, who looked for me. My family kept it alive.

And lots of supposed witnesses came forward. I was sighted all over the state. I have copies of the police reports and their notes. Crazy stuff.

Welcome aboard.
    The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth. What befalls the Earth, befalls the sons of the Earth.
    Chief Seattle

Bear Clan