Thread: Natural homes

Default Natural homes

We've had several discussions about different types of natural "homes" or shelters and different manufacturing types. Does anyone know of a comprehensive resource that talks about the different types of dwellings/structures, how they were created, and why they were used over another type in that region? I'm particularly looking at the United States with an emphasis on Texas, but also just generally interested in the topic so even something focusing on Europe or worldwide would be cool.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

I think Mother Earth News would probably have some information.

I don't know of a comprehensive source, but I believe that most regions used the building materials that were available for that area. Before we had rail and inter-state commerce, construction materials needed to be obtained locally. Adobe buildings in the desert south, log or wooden construction in areas where timber was plentiful. As trade increased and different (possibly more efficient or cheaper) materials were available, dwellings changed. Just my thoughts on it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I have a whole bunch of links somewhere... Let me find them...
    "Evil triumphs when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke [1729-1797]

this is a new area of research for me the last couple of weeks, i am looking at a corwdwood construction building project, there are many schools around, i have found one close to me that i plan on attending as it is government accredited , just google natural homes and it will open up a whole new world for you. enjoy
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Do you mean homes made from local natural resources? Also how big a home are you talking about?
    I know what hunts you.

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    Do you mean homes made from local natural resources? Also how big a home are you talking about?
    I'm talking anything that's going to last for a year or more. And not really a well made debris hut, ya know? I was thinking of differences between things like earth dome houses (hobbit houses or whatever you wanna call 'em) something along the lines of the recessed sandbag shelter duchess posted, etc. But, older. I don't know much about it, obviously, but I was thinking that the native americans all built different style houses out of different building materials for a reason. Like crash said, they used what was available in the area, and I understand to an extent the material is going to shape the design (since you can't really make bricks out of sand, I don't think...Although someone will probably prove me wrong) but my thinking is that the location had a lot to do with the design, ya know? I don't wanna have to re-invent the wheel by using the wrong type for my area, and after three seasons go "Ya know, if we had built it like this, instead of like this, it may not have blown over in that Texas storm." And inevitabally you'd hear some smartass behind you saying "Well, yeah, that's why the indians did it like..."
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

Here's a pretty good article for you.

http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_...hitecture.html

You use whatever material is handy and stout enough to build with. I've seen examples in the Midwest of homes and other buildings constructed of sod.

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/ammem/award97/.../hult_sod.html

and another:

http://www.history.com/classroom/fro...s/sodhome.html

Take a look at what was built in your area using local materials. That should give you some good ideas on what is the right choice for you.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Go to Google and look up Cody Lundin's home. He's near Prescott AZ.
    "The deeper into the woods ya' get
    the more nuts ya' find.
    "

- Yogi Bear