Thread: Best Place to Camp in Cali?

Default Best Place to Camp in Cali?

Looks like we (me and 2 of my youngun's) will be heading to Sacramento in June for my youngest daughter's Divisional Championship climbing competition. Anyone know of some good places to go camping near there (not in the city, of course)?

All I can say is stay away from the River it can get bad near there . any camp ground that would be any good will a hour away or more . Canid lives there he would know more , I am up in Redding about 2 1/2 hours north
    Last edited by Smok; 04-28-2009 at 02:37 PM.
    Do it with what you got and you want need what you don't have

Hetch Hetchy Reservoir is nice, http://www.hikercentral.com/campgrounds/114614.html

Also, If you continue to drive up the mountain there are numerous awesome forest campgrounds along the ! 80 corridor ending in Lake Tahoe.

If you want to camp in town, that's another story... You could also camp in the Delta, There are some nice places there but the Mosquitoes can be bad.
    "Evil triumphs when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke [1729-1797]

If you have the time check out Yosemite National Park....It is incredible!!!
    I know what hunts you.

That is an excellent idea, SARKY! I am going to spend a few extra days in Cali for vacation, in addition to the competition (which is only 2 days), and take the kids to Disneyland. A nice stop in Yosemite would be great too. We are so close to Yellowstone here I kinda forget about the wonders in Yosemite.

I'm planning the trip now, and I appreciate all the input I am getting here. Nobody knows the land like the locals, ya know. Thanks y'all!

I used to do all my camping on the valley floor, that is until 2 of the camp sites got washed out and weren't repaired. It makes it tougher to get a site on the valley floor but the Wawonna camp site is usually easy to get a camp site. You're not on the valley floor but it is a short drive to the valley and you can make a stop at Glacier Point on the way to the valley. Wawonna is quieter than the valley but it doesn't have all the spectacular sights of the valley.
    I know what hunts you.

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mountain mama View Post
    Looks like we (me and 2 of my youngun's) will be heading to Sacramento in June for my youngest daughter's Divisional Championship climbing competition. Anyone know of some good places to go camping near there (not in the city, of course)?
    sorry i dont know much about south or central ca. i lived near glass beach,just south of Fort Bragg. nice camping up there!
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

Yosemite is awesome, but really hard to get into Sequoia is very beautiful and peaceful too. The camping is under the redwood trees there which are really BIG. Another cool place to go is the town of Columbia, which is on highway 49 in the heart of the gold country. It's a state park with all the oldschool buildings with a blacksmith, and early print shop, panning for gold, Etc. Kids love it. Nearby is the town of Murphys, which is really cool too, and has Mercer Caverns to see. In Columbia is a KOA. Also in the area is Calaveras Big Trees state park, more really BIG Trees... Which has a beautiful campground on the river. Not nearly as busy as Sequoia or Yosemite. If you go to Tahoe, by far My favorite campground there would be Emerald Bay. It's forested and has a nice beach and is right near South Lake Tahoe City and Vikingsholm.
    "Evil triumphs when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke [1729-1797]

Well guys, I'm heading out first thing in the morning. Wish my little girl good luck in her climbing. Also pray for any idiot who is stupid enough to mess with mama along the way. I'll let y'all know how it goes when I get back around the 23rd. Gonna miss you guys!
    ‎"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."

Good luck Amber - you all stay safe.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Fingers are crossed, kiddo.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.