Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tap a pine tree

Quote Originally Posted by erunkiswldrnssurvival View Post
    yes I did, and i worked out a cool project to demonstrate the benefit of having enough pine,sap.I may add in some mixtures and thier uses. that may be informative.
    knock on wood.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

I've never tapped a pine tree. I've tapped a keg or two, but never a pine tree.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Can you tap pines in the summer and fall as well or just in the spring?
    Last edited by snakeman; 04-27-2009 at 07:40 PM. Reason: spelling
    Pickin' n' Grinnin'

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by snakeman View Post
    Can you tap pines in the summer and fall as well or just in the spring?
    spring is the best time. cold weather slows down the flow of sap.
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

Blog Entries

awe never mind I thought it said trap a pine tree, I was gonna ask if you really need lessons in that.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

They can be tough to sneak up on...takes practice.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I bet if you took a plastic bottle, cut out a crescent-shaped piece with flaps, you could make a sort of lip, nail it to the tree, and hang your bucket under the plastic lip, making sure to get all the sap.

Blog Entries

That would work good. i think that just one angled slash would work better also, when the tree seals up, I just cut the cambium and sap wood a little higher causing it to bleed> the volume is less but i can use the tree for months, so at the end i get way more sap.
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.

Quote Originally Posted by erunkiswldrnssurvival View Post
    4 i use it to make chewing gum
    The first thing I thought of when I saw that was chewing tar. That pine sap is some pretty rough stuff, its almost like a super glue that never dries. Which can make it good for some purposes.

For the chewing gum, magnolia bark extract is used to flavor spearmint gum. The buds and twigs smell like it to. I don't know how to process it and all that but its an idea.
    Pickin' n' Grinnin'

Blog Entries

i like that . some of the techniques include for flavoring is to crush green plants and put the food you want to flavor in with it in a bag and let them dry out togather. ths scent and flavor will be added to your food.
    Last edited by erunkiswldrnssurvival; 05-18-2009 at 07:52 AM.
    The Mountain Breaks you.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default more questions

I was hunting last week and spotted a damaged pine tree across the way. I noticed big orange stalagtites hanging from the tree at the point where it was burned (assuming a controlled burn was implemented). I had only a snack wrapper to put it in but I harvested all I could from the already damaged tree.

Perhaps it's too "dirty" or old, but I can't get this stuff to burn. I tried several different wicks, punk wood, true tinder fungus, twine, fatlighter "matches", cotton wick.. all sorts of things but nothing worked.
    How do I get this stuff to burn? What do you use for wick material?

I'd also like to get your gum recipe trapper jack. My dad said I could tap all the pine trees on his property if I wanted, but I'm gonna stick to the ones that are already damaged.

at this point I'm thinking tallow is a more dependable fuel but I know that just isn't true. Please help!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Blog Entries

well.. i want to post a pic of what I got, but photobucket is acting stupid this morning... pics to come (sorry!)
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Moving pictures

Blog Entries

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

sorry about that.. my connection must be soggy from all the rain.

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Moving pictures

I collected some sap back in the spring. I placed it in a small pot and melted it or rather boiled it. I haven't tried burning it yet, but will give it a go and get back to you YCC.

Edit- You might also try a more porous wick. I just noticed how you had it set up. Missed that on first glance.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Blog Entries

Thanks CS. I'd like to know what you find. I tried a few things, but none of them would burn more than a few minutes even if you kept adding sap.. I'm thinking it was the old sap not workin like fresh would.

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Moving pictures

One possibility is that it was already present when the fire occurred. If that's the case, the heat could have driven off some or all of the turpenes and what you're left with is a state of near amber referred to as copal. Copal is actually between a resin and amber.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

that right there is why he's Minister of Science for Free Traxistan people, yep. Number 1 answer Richard, keep up the good work.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

I tank ya. Me mudder tanks ya. Me brudder tanks ya......
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Well, since that's the case - mix a little gasoline with it and see if......

Nevermind.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel