Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's Dandelion Time!

Yes Maam, and then we only picked the young leaves for the salad and pizza bread. I learned a long time ago about the blooms on the plant.
    Take only what you need, and leave the rest.

Ive read of batering the flowers and frying. Also was wondering if they can be made palatable by cooking after the flowers show up. I know theyre bitter raw.

Quote Originally Posted by mountain mama View Post
    Dandelion Wine
    Dandelion wine does not require any special equipment to make. Just dandelions, some sugar and yeast, oranges and lemons, and pots to boil water in. This recipe uses cloves, which I think give it a nice touch. If you have dandelions around, give it a try!
    • 1 package dried yeast
    • 1/4 cup warm water
    • 2 quarts dandelion blossoms
    • 4 quarts water
    • 1 cup orange juice
    • 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    • 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    • 8 whole cloves
    • 1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
    • 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped orange peel
    • 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped lemon peel
    • 6 cups sugar
    Dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Set aside.

Wash the dandelion blossoms well. Put them in the water with the orange, lemon and lime juices. Add the cloves, ginger, orange and lemon peel, and sugar. Bring to a boil and continue to boil for an hour. Strain through filter paper (coffee filters work great). Cool. While still warm (but not hot), stir in the yeast.

Let stand overnight and pour into bottles. Allow uncorked bottles to set in a darkened place for three weeks. Then cork and store bottles in a cool place. Makes about 4 quarts.
    I like this recipe much better, your first one had too many specialized equipment to get. Have you personally tried this, and if so, how did it turn out? I make bread, ≤ 110° F is good for yeast growth.

It turned out great! My husband, who is an avid beer drinker, even likes it.
    ‎"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."

Quote Originally Posted by mountain mama View Post
    It turned out great! My husband, who is an avid beer drinker, even likes it.
    Thanks, our crop of dandelions is just at it's peek, this recipe is more manageable than your first. Of course, I've copied it to my recipe file and will certainly try it. My hubby is a bloody mary man, and recently tried the new Shlitz beer, go figure. I just love the info on this site.

Thanks, Uva

I like bloody marys too. I also like tequila shots. So, pretty much, I'll drink just about anything and dandelions are CHEAP lol CHEERS!
    ‎"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."