Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Telescoping Baton

Default Telescoping Baton

I was just wondering how folks feel about telescoping batons as a close quarter defense weapon. What size do you favor? The 16", 21" or 26" when opened?

http://www.safetygearhq.com/how-to-u...able-baton.htm
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I've got two (16" and 21"). They are extremely effective.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

I have a 21 in. ASP baton. It is definitely a "force multiplier". I would suggest if you are going to carry one that you take a class on how to use it correctly. It can be a very effective "less then lethal" weapon but only if you know how to use it properly.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Folks may want to check their state laws concerning batons. In TN you have to take an approved course before they can be carried. That said, I love em. 21" is my favorite but I've had it the longest and it was the one I certified with.
    Well why not?

I think the 16" would be affective, the 26" would probably telescope your intentions.
    A mouse ate a hole in my lumpy chair.

Blog Entries

Tennecedar is correct. These batons are illegal in many states.

I find it crazy that a person may lawfully carry a gun in the very same jurisdiction that bans the possession of such batons, certain knives, and Tazers. It just makes no sense to me. The only reason I can think of is that dern inconvenient Second Amendment. Just think - what would happen if those states could repeal that right?
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Everything short of throwing stars and switchblades is legal in Indiana (God I do so love this state!) but I doubt I can find baton training anywhere.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

My CCW says pistol or revolver. So I can't carry anything else, believe it or not. Now in KY a CCW says you can carry anything you darn well please. I am legal if I go across the river and illegal if I am at home, makes a lot of smarts politically. Haven't checked my walking stick or cane, probably illegal also along with the baton.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Everything short of throwing stars and switchblades is legal in Indiana (God I do so love this state!) but I doubt I can find baton training anywhere.
    I would check to see if there are any companies that specialize in training security guards. Unarmed security companies usually train their employees in less lethal tactics. Spray, baton, taser, pressure point control tactics, and more. That is where the bail bondsmen/bounty hunters around here go to get their training.
    Last edited by tennecedar; 04-22-2009 at 11:49 PM.
    Well why not?

A 16" or 21" is the optimum length, as others have posted.

In CQC or CQB situation, 26" would be too long and hinder your ability to deploy and use it effectively.

Especially if the encounter happened as an "in-your-face" surprise attack.
    Everything I have posted is pure fantasy. I have not done any of the things that I have claimed to have done in my posts. I actually live in Detroit.

We get a spring type baton here as well,but I find the telescopic one the better option,21" being the one of choice.It is a instant fight stopper especially if you aim for the big joints eg.knees,elbows.Training is very important.Saw a video clip the other day of a "ninja" who was more dangerous to himself.Nearly fell off my chair laughing.Strange that they allways seems to hit themselves where it hurts the most.

If you have a cheaper baton and having trouble with it opening or staying open, here is a tutorial on modifying it:

http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/goshinbatonasp.htm

ASP baton, 16 in. Have carried it "forever". Get classes on its use, can be tricky to employ correctly and effectively. Also legality issues abound, so do your research. And don't forget, if more than one miscreant is involved, go for the throat, they seem to lose interest much quicker when they can not breathe. Muscle or joint strikes do not always ensure immediate cessation of hostilities.
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by Pal334 View Post
    And don't forget, if more than one miscreant is involved, go for the throat, they seem to lose interest much quicker when they can not breathe.
    But of course. When more than one opponent is involved your a moron if you don't go for incapacitating strikes, whether it be throat, groin, diaphram, etc. Even with only one guy you are playing a very dangerous game (no pun intended) on the "street". If it's not in the ring you should put it down as quickly and efficiently as possible. Controlling yourself is also key to avoid jail time.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

What brand do you folks have? ASP seems to be thought of as the best but they are pretty expensive. Anyone own another brand that they are happy with? I'm thinking about getting one for my wife.

Not sure of the brand that I've got, but the dealer that I picked them up from will be at a gun show this weekend. I'll find out the brand. Paid $15 per baton for them. I have never had a problem with them.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine_Sapper View Post
    But of course. When more than one opponent is involved your a moron if you don't go for incapacitating strikes, whether it be throat, groin, diaphram, etc. Even with only one guy you are playing a very dangerous game (no pun intended) on the "street". If it's not in the ring you should put it down as quickly and efficiently as possible. Controlling yourself is also key to avoid jail time.
    Hence the need for training. Moron is a bit strong. I would say it is imprudent not to take a disabling shot , the throat has always , in my experience presented itself more frequently, the miscreants seem to have difficulty remembering to protect it in the initial phases of an encounter. Then while they are occupied trying to suck some air into their lungs I "exit stage right".

I stick to the ASP out of habit, that is what I recieved my first training on. I never "scimp" on something that I rely on.
    Last edited by Pal334; 04-23-2009 at 09:33 AM. Reason: add ASP comment
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Most states that allow batons to be carried by civilians require a course in their proper use. When I was trained it was thru the dept. What we focused on was where to strike to stay inside the lines of less lethal. A head or neck blow delivered intentionally is considered LETHAL force. To only be used when, if you were in the same situation, you would use a gun. The object of defending oneself is to stop the threat. Not hurt or kill the assailant. That sometimes(often) happens as a by product of stopping the threat. It must never be the intention. If someone uses a baton in the future and a random post can be found where that person says they are going for the throat..... Well it's gonna take alot more testifying to clear that up. Weapons such as these are LESS LETHAL, not less than lethal. Please be careful when voicing your intentions. I would hate see somebody from the forum in county jail after defending themselves from some jerk trying to mug them. Remember when you speak to the reporting officer after the incident to convay that you just wanted them to stop. That was your intent.
    Well why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Pal334 View Post
    Hence the need for training. Moron is a bit strong. I would say it is imprudent not to take a disabling shot , the throat has always , in my experience presented itself more frequently, the miscreants seem to have difficulty remembering to protect it in the initial phases of an encounter. Then while they are occupied trying to suck some air into their lungs I "exit stage right".

I stick to the ASP out of habit, that is what I recieved my first training on. I never "scimp" on something that I rely on.
    *shrug*
    From a fighter's perspective, it is moronic to set there and duke it out trying to knock someone out in a "streetfight". I mean, if all you can get is a rib shot or a hook to the jaw, sure take it, but if my options are an uppercut to the guys chin, or a half fist in his throat or diaphram, I'm going to half-fist him every time, as the uppercut may or may not incapacitate, and if there is a second assailant then your probably ****ed if you don't take him out quickly. I think the difference is that you are viewing it (and I'm assuming here) from a trained LEO's perspective towards subduing your opponent for arrest and I'm viewing it from a citizen's point of view as in being jumped/mugged in an alley or assaulted walking to your car.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

At my age my last encounter was with a drunk was a couple of years ago, the old chest bump to scare me I guess. I kinda stomped his instep, knee to the groin and the old heel of the hand to the chin. I am too old to play games and I have enough scars. I will put a person down anyway I know and as to any training I will plead ignorance, just lucky I guess Mr. Officer, at my age I could have gotten hurt.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.