Thread: Skunk sprayed dog?

Default Skunk sprayed dog?

We all know tomato juice doesn't work to remove the skunk smell after being sprayed. I found this on the web and was wondering if anyone had any experience with removing skunk spray?

"Skunks have good aiming abilities, so if your dog is the bullseye, be sure to check the face and muzzle first. You're looking for about a half-teaspoon blob of thick material with the consistency of olive-oil along with a little clotted, whitish stuff. Wick this up into a piece of paper towel or rag before you or the dog rub over the spot and spread it. Your task will be much easier.

You might consider adding one deodorizer to your camp kit in case you end up like Harris and Lynda--Massengill's Disposable Douche. If you have a large dog, you might take several bottles, but by all reports, it is quite effective in reducing the odor. The good dog-odor neutralizers, like Odormute or Champ, are also effective. Just remember, these may not be good for the dog's skin and probably shouldn't be licked off by him.

The following solution comes from a college chemist and has little to no shelf-life because the hydrogen peroxide quickly breaks down. However, the ingredients are very easy to find.
    Just mix them up and sponge on the dog. This mixture is reported to be very effective!

Ingredients

1 qt Hydrogen Peroxide
    1/4 cup baking soda
    1 tsp or so of a liquid soap like Dawn or Joy or shampoo. Baby shampoo is very good because it won't burn the dog's eyes.

Mix the soda and soap together and then add the peroxide. Use immediately. Discard after use. The ingredients quickly break down and are not reusable.

First, see if you can find the spot where the dog was sprayed and blot it with a paper towel. Then, pour this mixture over the dog, and the smell will be gone. Be careful around the eyes"
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

amonia, or urine containing amonia(house cat) will pull the smell out or your skin.thats what happens, it soaks in like perfume. so amonia destroys the oily capsules of spray and leaves behind a faint odor.
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

Alpine ....you're right on the button with this one.I can tell you from experience that this formula will work, but you're going to have wash them several times if you really want to get rid of all the smell! I have a dog that cornered one in the back by the garage a number of years ago and got absolutely creamed. I tried every cure known to man with the only result being my dog smelled like a really bad Bloody Mary. My neighbor that had lived in the country all his life told me about this mix and saved the day. I understand the point about the baby shampoo, but if its really bad use Dawn...whats on the dog is an oil and Dawn just cuts right through it

Quote Originally Posted by az51 View Post
    Alpine ....you're right on the button with this one.I can tell you from experience that this formula will work, but you're going to have wash them several times if you really want to get rid of all the smell! I have a dog that cornered one in the back by the garage a number of years ago and got absolutely creamed. I tried every cure known to man with the only result being my dog smelled like a really bad Bloody Mary. My neighbor that had lived in the country all his life told me about this mix and saved the day. I understand the point about the baby shampoo, but if its really bad use Dawn...whats on the dog is an oil and Dawn just cuts right through it
    Awesome info. Thanks!
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.