Thread: Banana Raspberry Jam

Default Banana Raspberry Jam

First time making jam, this stuff turned out really good,w asn't really following a recipe so much as combining multiple recipes and winging it.

I had 13 cups of frozen berries from my garden -- I don't get 13 cups in a day, so I had kept freezing them until I had a bunch, 1 whole gallon bag full, it was 3 pounds seven ounces.

I added 3 very ripe bananas.

Added 1 cup of rum, 1 cup of light cranberry juice (only non-lemon juice in the house) and a couple tablespoons of lemon juice. I also tossed in some citric acid I had from cheesemaking because I thought, can't hurt right?

I got that boiling then ran it through a food mill to get rid of most of the seeds.

Then boiled it up again, added 1 pkg of no-sugar-needed pectin, 3 cups of splenda, 3 cups of sugar. I didn't want to only use splenda, since it doesn't have the preservative properties of sugar.

Made 9 small jars.

It was maybe too sweet though, I think in the future I would add less sugar. Definitely less.

It formed up really good, lids sealed nice. And was really really tasty, you can really taste both the banana and the raspberry.

Rum,eh? sounds awesome Chris.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

3 cups of splenda? That's like, what, 1000 packs you had to open?

Sounds really good!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

You've got to like a breakfast spread that has a bit of eye opening quality in the morning.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Sounds good Chris, congrats. I wonder can one make banana jam?
    I love bananas, even got banana twinkies now.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Yup... you can make banana jam.. that is how I knew to add the rum... apparently banana rum jam tastes good.

This begs the question though, why can't you buy banana jam in the store?

also... I used some appleton light rum from jamaica I had from our last trip there.... and the alcohol burns off in the cooking, most of it anyways, so you're just using it for flavor.

Blog Entries

Great thanks
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Remade it today. 3 pounds, 5 ounces of frozen raspberries, the last of what I got last year. 3 ripe bananas. 1 cup of rum, 1 cup of light cranberry juice. 1 package of Ball's "no sugar needed" pectin. 3 cups sugar, 1/4 cup honey. pinch of salt.

Tastes much better than last time (atleast in the licking the spoon test) not quite as overpowering sweet, made 7 jars.

I've decided that my raspberry patch (4x8) probably puts out enough berries to provide all our jam needs for a year if I made it all into jam. Thats pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Remade it today. 3 pounds, 5 ounces of frozen raspberries, the last of what I got last year. 3 ripe bananas. 1 cup of rum, 1 cup of light cranberry juice. 1 package of Ball's "no sugar needed" pectin. 3 cups sugar, 1/4 cup honey. pinch of salt.

Tastes much better than last time (atleast in the licking the spoon test) not quite as overpowering sweet, made 7 jars.

I've decided that my raspberry patch (4x8) probably puts out enough berries to provide all our jam needs for a year if I made it all into jam. Thats pretty good.
    I must have missed this previously. I'm going to have to try this. I'd be skinned if I tried to use all of our Raspberry's for jam though. My kids love fruit leathers made from half raspberry puree (raspberrys, a little lime juice, and some water for consistency, strained to remove seeds) and half plain or vanilla yogurt. I'm the only one that eats straight raspberry leathers in my house, but I have to admit I am addicted to raspberry and blackberry leather. Now I'm going to have to go make some Rasp./Bananna ones.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

Sounds like a good recipe. Might I suggest 2 cups or rum though.....one for the cook during canning.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Ya, a cup of rum is only like what? 4 shots?

Blog Entries

I sense the need for a Quality Control Department review ......
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark