Thread: Wooden Spoons

Default Wooden Spoons

My wife's birthday is Thursday. We've been married for almost 35 years and we stopped buying each other birthday presents a long time ago. There's simply nothing either of us want or need. However, I got to thinking (dangerous, I know). She likes wooden spoons and while I've made a lot of wooden stuff in 35 years I've never made her any wooden spoons. So, I thought I'd try my hand at it. This is my first attempt be it good, bad or indifferent. I wanted something pretty hefty that would last a long time and could be handed down to my granddaughters. I wanted something very plain that could be used to stir with and I'm pretty pleased with the result.

I started with 3/4inch solid red oak stock and drew two spoons about 11 inches long. I free handed the outline then cut out the stock.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

You can see the raw stock on the left. The rough cut spoon in the middle and the initial shape starting to turn out on the right. The little orange handled knife is the one Tennecedar made and sent me. I used it to whittle a bit and to help make the bowls. (Thank you, sir!)

I used a rotary sander attached to my drill press to begin the process.

The bowl begins to take shape.

Both bowls are roughed out.

The one on the right has been hand sanded with 120 grit.

First sanding with 120 grit is complete.

Finished sanding with 250 grit is done and I cleaned them up by blowing any remaining dust off of them with the compressor.

A three hours soak in food grade mineral oil.

The final product. You can see how the mineral oil brings out the red in the oak as well as the grain. If you scroll up a bit and then down you'll see the difference in the wood. They will air dry until Thursday. I know she'll be surprised because she won't be expecting anything. We celebrated her birthday last Saturday with the kids and grand kids so Thursday will be just another day.

Sorry for such a long post but I thought some might like to see the wood take shape. Especially if you have always wanted to do wood working but didn't know where to start. I'm always impressed that inside a simple piece of wood is something wonderful just waiting for someone to make it appear. In this case, a couple of spoons were hiding inside.
    Last edited by Rick; 04-21-2009 at 02:39 PM.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

certainly saved me a trip to WalMart.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Blog Entries

Nice job! It's really neat to see what you can turn out with a little talent and the right tools!

Wish the Mrs. a Happy Birthday from us!

Did I just pay Rick a compliment?
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Blog Entries

I have a real issue with this part .......

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    The little orange handled knife is the one Tennecedar made and sent me. I used it to whittle a bit and to help make the bowls. (Thank you, sir!)

Crash, are we getting usurped?
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Dude, your pimp-hand is strong when it comes to woodworking....
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

Nice work red oak can tear out if you get aggressive carving to much to fast. I have red oak spoons that are at least 10 years old and still in use. Its a good choice of wood. It will hold up to stirring soup in a cast iron kettle.

There is a great tradition of spoon carving in Wales.

The custom of carving and giving Welsh Lovespoons originated in Wales hundreds of years ago. The young men of today would probably buy flowers, chocolates or jewellery as a token of affection. Centuries ago in Wales, the young lover would also give gifts of sweets or cakes; but they would also give a special, more personal gift to the object of their desire, the Welsh Love Spoon. Some of the early love spoons can be seen on display at the Welsh Folk Museum in Cardiff. There is even one that dates back to 1667.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Nice work Rick. ken - you didn't get yours?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Nice job Rick, the spoons look great. I make spoons every now and then, but I make mine by cutting down small trees that have the shape that I am looking for. Then I sit and whittle with 2 different knives until I get it finished.
    Take only what you need, and leave the rest.

Here is to the Irish Battle Spoon, for the big appetite.

Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Very nice, both, the thought and the spoons. Tell the Mrs. Happy Birthday!
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

Thank you. It was actually today (red faced). I had the date right. I was just thinking Thursday was the 24th. My bad but I corrected it before any grievous errors were made. She was treated to a marinated and grilled steak, baked sweet potato, a loaf of home made white bread, salad and strawberry shortcake with the 'cake' made from home made pie crust. All courtesy of yours truly. I spent yesterday baking for her.

If you want a treat, make some pie crust and use it for the cake in your strawberry shortcake. Hmmmmmmmm.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

nice work Rick, the mineral oil bath is en exelent method of sealing and polishing the wood.after that stage I sometimes buff the surfaces to a high polish with a buffing drum
    if my wife sees this thread im in big trouble.
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Thank you. It was actually today (red faced). I had the date right. I was just thinking Thursday was the 24th. My bad but I corrected it before any grievous errors were made. She was treated to a marinated and grilled steak, baked sweet potato, a loaf of home made white bread, salad and strawberry shortcake with the 'cake' made from home made pie crust. All courtesy of yours truly. I spent yesterday baking for her.

If you want a treat, make some pie crust and use it for the cake in your strawberry shortcake. Hmmmmmmmm.
    Whats a date night?

RIGHT. I had the date RIGHT. You are sooo bad. (shakes head while walking away).

Nice work. And now I have yet another project to try and fit into limited time. Thanks a lot.

really nice spoons! im gonna make an attempt at making some now sometime this week!
    how dare i call this love and not bare my cross

Bear Clan

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I met a fellow years ago at the pioneer art setlement in barberville fla. He made wood spoons and forks only he was splitting them off of cedar logs, he was getting them from the bulges of wood next to the knots.
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

Rick, Make sure you guilt the Mrs. into making or buying you something, or we might have to take away your "man card" temporarily.

Rick: "What? You didn't make ME anything? But honey...it's a show of our undying love and committment... *sob* our love... I think it's dying..."

How long have you been married? What's that you say? 35 years...YEARS on this end. I have not been married that long by mouthing off OR not following instructions. It's a terribly simple plan, really. Do everything she says when she says do it and there are no problems. Peace reigns in the castle. My manroom, down by the dungeon, next to the moat overflow is left completely alone. Of course it could be the musty smell that keeps her out of there, too. It is pretty damp down there.

Rick, did she like them???
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."